logo
Old 02-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Find More Posts by EVOL
MAN OR ASTROMAN?
Milwaukee WI
Joined Jan 2006
58 Posts
Need Help...My Foam Wont Hover

i have been messing around with shock flyers for about a year now and i am just starting to get good and building and flying them. only problem is i dont have enough power to hover which i find wierd. so before i go out spending hundreds of dollars replacing parts i want to see if you guys see the problem. here is my set up:

- Icarus F3A or Yak 54 as plane used

- Blue Bird Micro Servos

- BP21 Brushless

- E-Flite 20-amp Speed Controller

- Apogee 850mAh LiPo @ 7.4V 2 cell

- GWS Micro Receiver

what needs to be replaced? i want to get a new brushless engine because i got the BP21 as a trainer so i didnt destroy a new motor but a lot of people say they use them and refer to them as "powerhouses". the battery is a 2 cell but i have heard of a lot of people using 2 cells on shock flyers.

so whats the weak link?

EVOL
EVOL is offline Find More Posts by EVOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts
Re: Need Help...My Foam Wont Hover

Hi Evol,
I think you could start with a new motor. I use GBX custom cdrom motors on all my foamies under 8oz. That is the key to a well performing foamie Light,Light,Light.... Everything else looks good but you could save weight with a castle creations pheonix 10amp controller or there thunder bird 9amp much cheaper. I also use 2cell 730mah prolites and have unbeleivable power. Also you want to make sure to use a low turn motor with a two cell, check out lensrc.com for there gbx 15turn sinhle stator motor around $40.00. You will see a real increase in performance.There are alot of motors that would work but this is your best thrust to weight setup as others add weight and require 3cell batts. Hope this helps and good luck... Remember to weigh you plane to see where your at and get it under 8oz if you can. Safe Landings, John
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old 02-13-2006, 04:00 PM
Find More Posts by king160woody
3D low n' slow!!
United States, AZ, Avondale
Joined Jan 2006
915 Posts

A pheniox 10 would really help. A lot less wieght and a very good product. Check out the esc at www.castlecreations.com VERY VERY good products and excellent service!
king160woody is offline Find More Posts by king160woody
Old 02-13-2006, 04:04 PM
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

I also fly my Nikitis Animal from hobby-lobby with this set up but use 3cell TP 730 lipos and throttle management. Hovers great and get 10-15 minute fly times with it. Dont forget your 9x5 DD gws prop.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by EVOL
MAN OR ASTROMAN?
Milwaukee WI
Joined Jan 2006
58 Posts

what is the hot motor to put in a shock flyer these days? it seems like the Hacker 20-22L and the MP Jet Outrunners are getting attention. the hacker is $25 more than the MP but another big consideration is i would like to find a differsent mount for the motor. i have been using the plywood firewall method and it works but the foam around the ply gets beat up and cracked pretty quick. any other ideas?

EVOL
Old 02-13-2006, 04:25 PM
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

Check out these links, just a few more ideas:http://www.hobby-lobby.com/shockflyer-edge.htm
EVPM01 Universal Motor Mount for 3mm Foam http://www.hobby-lobby.com/motormt.htm

The hacker is an awesome motor but I think the AXI's have stump pulling power. Remember you should use a 3cell with these motors for best performance.....
Old 02-13-2006, 10:24 PM
Find More Posts by snaprollsoda
Joined Jan 2006
77 Posts

that motor is strong but it is ungodly heavy for its size. I would try a three cell before buying a new motor.
snaprollsoda is offline Find More Posts by snaprollsoda
Old 02-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by STR8HUCKIN
Lodi CA
Joined Jan 2006
411 Posts

3 cell is the only way.... unless you use cirrus servos a phoenix 10 and a purple wind little screamer with a kokam 350 2-cell but it only rocks indoors
STR8HUCKIN is offline Find More Posts by STR8HUCKIN
Old 02-14-2006, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by 66stang
Fly it like you hate it!
Collinsville, IL
Joined Jan 2006
4,925 Posts

I use a E-Flight 370 Outrunner & 11.1v 750Mah Battery with a E-Flite 20amp ESC.. My Edge hovers great. The F3A is OK, but has smaller rudder. It will hover, but not nearly like the edge. Also Give the rudder and elevator as much deflection as possible. Make sure you have at least 50 to 60 degrees of movement. I also found that less expo helps to correct faster.. But that just me.
66stang is offline Find More Posts by 66stang
Old 02-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by EVOL
MAN OR ASTROMAN?
Milwaukee WI
Joined Jan 2006
58 Posts

i usually fly the yak 54 shockie but i switch in the winter for indoor golf dome flying to the F3A. i just fly till i break something and then buy a $6.00 sheet of 3mm foam and cut out a new plane. i have the plans for the F3A and Yak.

i had the edge originaly but it was WAY to fragile. i bumped the tail a few times and the thing would split in half. i gave up flying foamies until they re-designed them with the stronger tail. i think the new Yak flys even better than the edge did.

EVOL
Last edited by EVOL; 02-14-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:43 AM
Find More Posts by Marcus76
Power Up, Punch Out!!
Regina, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
53 Posts

Hi EVOL,

The Hacker A20-20L is not meant for those small Ikarus foamies...too heavy and wayyyy too much power. I have a 22L in an 18 ounce plane and it is still overpowered (just the way I like it )!

I'd simply go to a 3 cell 730 mAh, and you'll see ENORMOUS increase in power...which will easily cancel out your weight gain....throttle management is required, but you will not need full throttle anyways!! Also be sure to test your setup on the wattmeter on the ground before flying.

I'm not familiar with the BP motors though, sorry!

If you're still not sure, just keep asking questions.

Marc
Marcus76 is offline Find More Posts by Marcus76
Old 02-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Find More Posts by choppedlow
BONAFIED
Yuma, Mexizona
Joined Jan 2006
797 Posts

You have to hold your mouth just right, to get it to hover. Body english, buddy. Body english. Or more battaries , like two three cells, and spin a huge one!!!!! just kidding. Foamies sucK! thats why I have about ten of them in pieces from trying to kill bugs outside next to the street light. Prop hits a big bug and you can see it splat it! Fun for all......................fun for all..............
choppedlow is offline Find More Posts by choppedlow
Old 02-14-2006, 07:45 AM
MR.INVERT3D';)
Ohio
Joined Jan 2006
1,023 Posts

You cant go wrong with the GBX motors only 1oz...... http://slofly.com/cart/product_info....roducts_id=939
Old 02-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by ouch!
Its fokker time
Baltimore
Joined Jan 2006
378 Posts

Chopped is exactly right, Body freaking enlish is where its at. I haven't had much experience with the BP's but you get what you pay for, a sub par motor with inconsistent results for each different BP. If memory serves me right the BP 21's are around 20-25.

Do yourself a favor and drop the money for an axi 2208-34. The all around beast for shockies. 10x3.8 with a 2 cell and you have 10 minutes of damn good vertical, 3 cell is insane, problem with 3cell is your power band for hovering is shorter so you may want to soften it a bit with expo. What's the current weight of your F3A, got one for christmas and loved it.

Sean
ouch! is offline Find More Posts by ouch!
Old 02-15-2006, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by NimbleGimbal
Joined Jan 2006
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOL
what is the hot motor to put in a shock flyer these days? it seems like the Hacker 20-22L and the MP Jet Outrunners are getting attention. the hacker is $25 more than the MP but another big consideration is i would like to find a differsent mount for the motor. i have been using the plywood firewall method and it works but the foam around the ply gets beat up and cracked pretty quick. any other ideas?

EVOL
A20-20L is too big for a shocky, think light

I'm running TP480 or TP730 two cell packs on a hacker a20-34s with 9x3.8 apc on a phoenix 10... auw on the planes has been below 7oz... they float, and have tons of power...

You could also run the a20-M size motors for a little heavier outdoorsy plane...
NimbleGimbal is offline Find More Posts by NimbleGimbal

Quick Reply