Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Find More Posts by liftytim
You've had a good day...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
711 Posts
30cc 73" MX2 Extra Build Thread - DolphinCo / Goldwing - DLE30

30cc MX2 Extra Build Thread - DolphinCo / DLE30

Hi all, I'm a newbie to Flying Giants. I've been reading FG threads for quite a while (lots of useful info - thanks everyone!), so I thought I'd contribute and start a thread on my MX2 build.

I've been flying nitro planes for years (and more recently EP models), but this will be my first gasser. I usually fly at Maroubra in Sydney (or wherever i can find when flying EP models)... and I also flew at the Maitland club (Hunter Valley NSW) when I first started.

Scott at DL Engines Australia has been a great help hooking me up with the kit/engine etc.

The kit is a Dolphin Co (Aust importer of Goldwing) 73" MX2 (green/white scheme).

I'm also using the new rear carby DLE30 which should hopefully be a good combo.

I'm planning on using:

- Power HD DS090M servos on elevators (x2... rather than torque rod) and ailerons (FAIL - see below)

- Power HD DS120M servo on the rudder

- Power HD 5680BB servo for throttle

I ordered all servos from HobbyKing. So far I have opened them all up and re-greased...they are a little bit noisy but seem to centre well so I'll see how they go.

EDIT: One of the aileron Power HD servos failed after about 20 flights (lucky to land safely), so I've now switched to Savox servos on all surfaces, and Hitec on throttle. Details on changes from page 43 of this thread.

I plan to use a 6v eneloop for the RX (futaba FAAST) and 4v eneloop for the ignition. I may switch to a zeus harness later on (1 battery harness/regulator to power RX and ignition) and a dual battery regulator (ie. two batteries going into the zeus) for some redundancy. I've been told the zeus harnesses are being upgraded (due to some initial probs) so I'll wait until that happens.

EDIT: See page 46 of this thread for changes to the setup. I'm now using an Ultra IBE (ignition battery eliminator - ie. no longer using 4.8v eneloop) and two un-regulated 1300mAH lipos for RX power. I'm now using the new HV rated Futaba RX.

Initial impressions of the DolphinCo kit are good. Seems very well made. Covering is nicely done. The motor box looks a bit lacking so that will get the usual treatment with epoxy (and perhaps a bit of fibre).
The wing tube has a tiny amount of play through the fuse (plan to fix this with laquer on the tube), but is very snug in the wings. The anti-rotation pins in the wings are perfectly snug.

This is the new 73" sized kit. A warning to those ordering - the green is VERY bright... it is fluoro. This isn't a bad thing (will be easy to see at least!)...the brightness just doesn't show up very well in pics, so I was a little bit surprised when I got it.

So far all I've done is bolted the undercarriage on to get the fuse off the ground. Very easy... wheel pants are pre-drilled...not to mention BLING.

I'll post a couple of pics and then report back in on progress.

Cheers

Tim
liftytim is offline Find More Posts by liftytim
Last edited by liftytim; 01-24-2011 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-27-2010, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by CElkins
Extra 260 Pilot
Quilcene Washington
Joined Aug 2007
676 Posts
Re: 30cc 73" MX2 Extra Build Thread - DolphinCo / Goldwing - DLE30

Nice lookin plane!
CElkins is offline Find More Posts by CElkins
Old 05-28-2010, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

Hi Tim,

Very nice green machine you have, I have just started assembly on a 30cc peak sbach and have done about the same as you , And have just mounted the motor and glued most of the hinges. last night Check it out here https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=54013 ,

I also noticed my wing tube was a little sloppy in the fuse, bit of tape fixed that Sound like you have a nice kit too. Should be a great thing when done, and dle30 will haul it around, I ahve the side carb one.

Keep us updated tim with you prgress..

Cheers
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 05-31-2010, 08:19 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

hey tim, Any updates with the mx2?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:05 AM
You've had a good day...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by monarocoupe View Post
hey tim, Any updates with the mx2?
Hey mate,

Things have been a bit hectic at work so haven't really progressed I'm afraid! It looks like your Sbach is coming along nicely!

I need to get myself some glue for the robart hinges (things may end badly if I use CA or epoxy...water based will be safer).

I picked my servo extensions and throttle servo and am ready to go installing them all. The Power HDs fit like a glove so it will be a very quick job. I managed to find the pre-cut slots for the control surface horns so that will also be quick.

I'm hoping to get some done over the next couple of nights... I'll report in and post some pics.

T
Old 06-01-2010, 09:32 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftytim View Post
Hey mate,

Things have been a bit hectic at work so haven't really progressed I'm afraid! It looks like your Sbach is coming along nicely!

I need to get myself some glue for the robart hinges (things may end badly if I use CA or epoxy...water based will be safer).

I picked my servo extensions and throttle servo and am ready to go installing them all. The Power HDs fit like a glove so it will be a very quick job. I managed to find the pre-cut slots for the control surface horns so that will also be quick.

I'm hoping to get some done over the next couple of nights... I'll report in and post some pics.

T
Heya Tim,

I know what ya mean, it can be heard to find time to get it underway.
Yes the sbach is going really well, I will have some more done tommorrow night, Toinight is relax night

The hinge glue is good, i ahve been using the aplhaphadic glue from greatplanes, seams really good and easy cleanup, I dont like the idea of using epoxy, it will be strong but will the surface ever move lol

Sounds like you about to get underway, look forward to seeing it take shape,

Cheers
Old 06-03-2010, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by DLEnginesAU
Joined Jul 2008
292 Posts

DLEnginesAU is offline Find More Posts by DLEnginesAU
Old 06-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Find More Posts by The Ghost
Joined Jul 2008
130 Posts

Got mine ordered today, should be here next week, Scott at DLEngines was great, same great service as allways. I have a Zenoah G38 that was given to me NIB a few weeks ago to go in it. It will be guided by a JR DSX9, will wait untill I get it to decide what servos to use, and weather I will put smoke on it.

Cheers
The Ghost is offline Find More Posts by The Ghost
Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM
You've had a good day...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
Got mine ordered today, should be here next week, Scott at DLEngines was great, same great service as allways. I have a Zenoah G38 that was given to me NIB a few weeks ago to go in it. It will be guided by a JR DSX9, will wait untill I get it to decide what servos to use, and weather I will put smoke on it.

Cheers
Hey mate,

Nice one. It should rocket along with that engine...

Are you going to get the green or red scheme?

Smoke is damn tempting!

Tim
Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM
You've had a good day...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEnginesAU View Post
Ha ha. Funnily enough... chips and beer featured in my build session this eve...
Old 06-05-2010, 10:41 AM
You've had a good day...
Sydney, Australia
Joined Feb 2010
711 Posts

Hi all,

Well I finally managed to get in a decent build session this eve. I got the following done:

- glued in the stab

- glued all hinges (robart style) that weren't pre-installed in the factory

- glued in all control horns (fibreglass - two per surface with a ball link sandwiched in between)

- mounted rudder, elevators (x2) and aileron servos

All was pretty straight forward. The slots for the control horns were pre-cut - the covering just needed to be cut away. There is no flange on the control horns so a little bit of care had to be taken to make sure they were installed at the right depth.

Some of the Power HD servos were supplied with incorrect servo horn screws. This is pretty annoying but I guess part of the risk of ordering from Hobby King (and saving $$). I think I might order some miracle servo arms from Scott because I'm worried about the quality of the original arms. Not sure if they will include servo horn screws.

I'll report back in tomorrow with pics of progress (took a few).

Going to hit the hay and go for a fly in the morning.

T
Old 06-05-2010, 07:49 PM
Joined Jul 2008
130 Posts

Tim,

Gone with the green (It's a greeeeeeen one) I have a few red models so some thing different. Have a spare smoke system kicking around, will look at it after the model arives.

Cheers
Old 06-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
130 Posts

Still thinking about changing the 38 over to elect ign same as I done with my 62. Saved over 450g with the 62. After weighing all the bits and then adding the new bits I could save over 500g on the 38. Would have to make up a new engine hub for the 38 as DLengines don't list a conversion, no problem just a pain.

Photos. G62 running on Elect ign, G38 running on mag, Light bits, Heavy bits.

Cheers
Old 06-06-2010, 03:05 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftytim View Post
Hi all,

Well I finally managed to get in a decent build session this eve. I got the following done:

- glued in the stab

- glued all hinges (robart style) that weren't pre-installed in the factory

- glued in all control horns (fibreglass - two per surface with a ball link sandwiched in between)

- mounted rudder, elevators (x2) and aileron servos

All was pretty straight forward. The slots for the control horns were pre-cut - the covering just needed to be cut away. There is no flange on the control horns so a little bit of care had to be taken to make sure they were installed at the right depth.

Some of the Power HD servos were supplied with incorrect servo horn screws. This is pretty annoying but I guess part of the risk of ordering from Hobby King (and saving $$). I think I might order some miracle servo arms from Scott because I'm worried about the quality of the original arms. Not sure if they will include servo horn screws.

I'll report back in tomorrow with pics of progress (took a few).

Going to hit the hay and go for a fly in the morning.

T

Sounds great time, Good to hear that you have got it under way , Look forward to see the pics of your progress. Tim with your horns get the dubro composite set its around $20 aud, and you get enough to do the whole plane and theres a few different sizes too and one for the pull pull servos too. I have used these on the smaller planes and also on my sbach, works great and there light.

Cheers tim.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:07 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
Still thinking about changing the 38 over to elect ign same as I done with my 62. Saved over 450g with the 62. After weighing all the bits and then adding the new bits I could save over 500g on the 38. Would have to make up a new engine hub for the 38 as DLengines don't list a conversion, no problem just a pain.

Photos. G62 running on Elect ign, G38 running on mag, Light bits, Heavy bits.

Cheers
Hey ghost,

Definatly change to the EI, you already know the good bennifets, and the weight saving alone is worth it

Quick Reply