logo
Old 04-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Find More Posts by Mike c.
Sleeping Beauty
Port Orchard, Washington
Joined Aug 2006
1,004 Posts
Polar Bear IMAC 2007

This was the 50th year of the Polar Bear event. A great time was had by all, great food and great weather. Mike Rains did a sweet job of being the CD and made sure the contest moved along and that the spectators were never bored. Here are a few pics that I took.

Mike Rains- awesome guy and a great friend.

CAKE!!

Tony Green's hella cool heli (T-rex).

My new carden taking off for another round.

This was THE best Polar Bear yet! All that couldn't make it, be sure to come next year! ahem . . . cough . . . *TonyThomasian* . . . cough.
Mike c. is offline Find More Posts by Mike c.
Last edited by Mike c.; 04-16-2007 at 05:39 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-16-2007, 12:21 AM
Find More Posts by casey g
idaho
Joined Feb 2006
1,173 Posts
Re: Polar Bear IMAC 2007

lol hey how did u do
casey g is offline Find More Posts by casey g
Old 04-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Can you go lower?
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Sep 2006
682 Posts

Mike Riegns was a 3D Freestyle maniac beating out Darren Kuhn "the preditor" by a huge margin.
With sweeping graceful lines across the sky followed up by large flopping manouvers he creamed the lower competition taking third in overall freestyle masters competition.
After the event he was congradulated by all and is now going on to his ultimate goal. Tuscon shootout.
Why does he have to be like this?
dqman40rock is offline Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Old 04-16-2007, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Can you go lower?
United States, AZ, Maricopa
Joined Sep 2006
682 Posts
Re: Polar Bear IMAC 2007 CARDEN CRASH!!!!

I had a very undesirable dead stick on my 37% Carden Yak on Saturday AM Just before we got started.
The wind was at my back I had just started to climb for a 3/4 roll pull humty. It died before or just when I hit the high end needle. I leveled out and began to attempt to turn back to the field. I couldnt pull it off but I did get it slowed down.
It hit the ground first and bounced up onto an embankment below west valley highway.
The gear ripped off the plane but did no damage to the wings. Because the plane bounced up on the bank my wings were saved!!
I took the plane to my good friend Paul's house that night. We manufactured a new gear plate out of aircraft ply, straightened the gear in a vice, replaced a blind nut in the wheel pant, Rick did a perfect job of fiberglassing the damaged cowl, I CA d a small crack in the gear cover, and put on a new prop.
The plane flew again the next morning.
What a relief. All I need now is some paint and some tuning of the motor.
We had a great time over the weekend. I flew intermediate for the first time. I tried to fly my Carden but it tried to die again so I landed and flew my back up for the rest of the event.
I am hoping there will be more pilots at the next IMAC all the way down to Medford
Where is everyone? There were two people in intermediate counting myself.
I will see everyone at Medford. Right?

Darren
dqman40rock is offline Find More Posts by dqman40rock
Old 04-16-2007, 05:44 PM
Sleeping Beauty
Port Orchard, Washington
Joined Aug 2006
1,004 Posts

hey Darren! I might make it to medford, but it seems like a big if cause of all the driving. I'm glad your carden wasn't worse, but I would have frank help you fix it. Get a new cowl, get frank to make it look like the old one, but have put in black baffles. Get the canopy cleaned up and repaint the landing gear, landing gear boots, and wheel pants. I sure hope you have it running reliable soon.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Dan767
That's at least a 9
United States, WA, Federal Way
Joined Jan 2006
2,693 Posts

Mike,

Congrats on everything. Sorry I couldn't be there on Sunday. Nice job of flying The Edge.
Dan767 is online now Find More Posts by Dan767
Last edited by Dan767; 04-16-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Find More Posts by hillmanr2
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

Sounds like an awesome time. Hopefully next year time and funds will allow me to start attending events down there. As it is I can only make it to one far away event and I am going to help out at the Edmonton event https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...challenge.html.
I was trying to practice Intermediate this weekend so I was there in spirit,(lame I know)

Russ Hillman
hillmanr2 is offline Find More Posts by hillmanr2
Old 04-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Sleeping Beauty
Port Orchard, Washington
Joined Aug 2006
1,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan767 View Post
Mike,

Congrats on everything. Sorry I couldn't be there on Sunday. Nice job of flying The Edge.
Thanks Dan for helping me out with my DA. I found out that it was that my choke servo not closing all the way, so I have to take the cowl off again!! *groan*
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Super Contributor
Hoquiam,Wa. USA
Joined Jan 2006
353 Posts

I thought the contest was well run, Thanks Mike for doing the CD job. with that said I think we have a serious problem with the way the contest was scored. I will use my own sequence's for an example. on one of my score sheets Mr. Frank Pelligrini, multi season champion and past regional director scored my Goldfish in the sportsman sequence a 0 and the other judge that did not put his name on the score sheet scored it a 7, now let me tell you how I flew that manuever. I pushed the 45 down line and snapped, continued around the 3/4 loop to a 45 upline and pushed out on the top. Now I know that some will say that is not the proper manuver, but this judge gave me a score for leaving off half of the prescribed manuver. I deserved the 0, not a 7. this same thing happened to other sequences and other pilots in Sportsman and Basic. It clearly shows that the people that were judging had NO business in the chair. I hope that people will get some training in the proper judging criteria. I also recieved a 7.5 on the Humptybump and the other un-named judge gave me a 0, On the vertical downline Frank gave me a 6 and the other judge gave me a 0 and on the same manuver in the second sequence of that round I got a NS, Not Seen, what was he looking at? not my flying I guess. It looks like we need some better judges in the Northwest. Rick
PS: I have been flying IMAC for the last five years, not a rookie!
Rick Sowell is offline Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Old 04-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by casey g
idaho
Joined Feb 2006
1,173 Posts

sorry to hear about the bad judging. i hope to get to some of these contest this year.
casey g is offline Find More Posts by casey g
Old 04-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Rollin', Rollin', and Rollin'
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

Hey Mike - Im dissapointed that we missed it. The weather channels ABVOUSLY rune a lot of plans for people...
"All we will see this weekend is rain and 10-15 mph winds! Welcome to the NorthWest"
-Next day... " 62 degrees, calm winds, awsome day"
That sucks! im pretty disapointed..
TonyThomasian is offline Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Old 04-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Sleeping Beauty
Port Orchard, Washington
Joined Aug 2006
1,004 Posts

Too bad I wasn't enough to convince your dad tony. you guys would of had a blast!

Rick- I know what you're saying I think I judge sportsman, but I can't remember, lol. I reconmend everyone to go to the judging seminar, I did and kevin miller does a great job of explaining how to judge. One rule I really don't like, is how judges don't have to agree on zeros, because of the result you just said. Any unfinished manuver gets a zero because its a new manuver. I had to give several 6's because people would do a half roll and pull out with no line after the half roll. I think its required that all judges sould have a basic understanding on how to judge a manuver and not guess a number because it looked nice.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Super Contributor
Hoquiam,Wa. USA
Joined Jan 2006
353 Posts

Mike: You state that you gave 6's because some one did a half roll and then no visible line after, that is a down grade based on the line length. If you will go to the front page of the Northwest web site Bruce has an excerpt from the judging guide that tells how to downgrade that very thing. I hope you will read it, line lenght is a downgrade based on a visible 1-2, 2-3, length difference. If the first part of the line is say 50ft and the second part is say 20ft the that is a 30ft difference and should be graded according to the judging criteria. I don't mean to sound harsh but this can be serious later in the season. Rick
Rick Sowell is offline Find More Posts by Rick Sowell
Old 04-16-2007, 11:10 PM
Sleeping Beauty
Port Orchard, Washington
Joined Aug 2006
1,004 Posts

I remember at the judging seminar last year with kevin miller saying that if there's like a half cuban or whatever and they do there half roll with no line after the roll at all then it was a 4 point deduction. I don't know if that has changed from last year because I haven't catch up on all the rule changes
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Bruce
Uber Contributor
Joined Jan 2006
635 Posts

In response to Rick's point - I agree that we need to improve our judging capability in the region. However, many guys simply do not invest the time and effort it takes to learn how to
judge - and it does take a sincere effort.

As pilots we would like it to be "all about the flying" but it is a competition and from that perspective, the "flying" only takes on meaning because of the judging. Low quality judging works against the growth of our sport and really diminishes the "enjoyment" we take from it. When you fly you want competent judges rating you. Well this goes both ways! When judging you owe it to the pilots you are judging to be up to the task.

We are aware of the problem and it is a major focus in the region this year.

The activities underway aimed at improving our judging skill and increasing the
number of capable judges are:

- Seattle area Judging Seminar - unfortunately it is later than we wanted.
- Additional Judging Seminars - We want to do as many of these as we can. I will travel, Kev will travel when he can and I am sure that Keith Bodeau and Frank will assist as they are able. I have
the Judging Seminar chart presentation built and it is currently being reviewed by Kev, Keith and Wayne Mathews (SE Judging Instructor). We get financial support from National for these seminars. All we need is an audience. I am happy to work with anyone interested in holding a seminar.
- I have started the Judges/Pilots corner on the web site where I will cover a single topic each time I update the site.
- I am requesting/encouraging all CD's to take ~15 -20 minutes at Saturday pilots meetings to have one of the senior guys cover a single judging topic. This is the only time we have a "captive" audience. We can't make anyone attend a judging seminar.
- I am also suggesting to CD's that we could do a "mini seminar" the Friday evening before a contest if that makes sense based on who will be able to attend.
- Tony is working on a new scoring program that, among other things, will capture exactly the situation that triggered Rick's post and will allow us to work the problem.

As for the Polar Bear, we were faced with a tough situation. Without any Unlimited pilots, judges got shoved up in class and some were judging above their comfort level. The Advanced guys who were our most experienced judges and who judged most willingly, any and all classes all weekend, suffered when they flew because they had some judges who were maxed out. Also, the numbers of available judges was limited due to entry size and the large BASIC entry (the large BASIC entry was great by the way...). This made for a difficult time when having to populate the judging matrix. So as any CD knows, filling the judges chairs is often difficult but it must be done with the personnel on hand and this sometimes puts guys in judging situations they would rather not be in.

Bottom line - it’s a problem we all have to work together. So, all who are reading this, please talk up the need for all of us to learn how to judge and to continuously hone our judging skills - read and reread the rules, attend judging seminars whenever you can, scribe for more experienced judges and when you are at the field, practice judging when you are watching your buddies fly. Please, make the effort.

I would be interested in any and all comments on this so please
jump in and keep this conversation going.

Bruce
Bruce is offline Find More Posts by Bruce

Quick Reply