logo
Old 02-12-2018, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin K
WI
Joined Jun 2007
704 Posts
In a true gyroscopic precession type maneuver (such as a Lomcovák), the air frame continues to rotate long after the control inputs are released. However not so well with a 3 axis gyro acting on it, and even more difficult with the gyro acting on huge 3d sized control surfaces.
Kevin K is offline Find More Posts by Kevin K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-12-2018, 04:39 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,875 Posts
Ahh ok, I see what you're saying
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 02-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
And that is where you flip the off switch.....
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 02-12-2018, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by Kevin K
WI
Joined Jun 2007
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
And that is where you flip the off switch.....
True enough. In fact I find it most comfortable to leave it off when flying any moderately aggressive aerobatic routine. For basic pattern type flying it's not an issue.
Kevin K is offline Find More Posts by Kevin K
Old 02-16-2018, 02:26 PM
Find More Posts by jersey flyer
United States, NJ, Millville
Joined Sep 2015
375 Posts
Funny how the original question got lost and the forum went from gyro types to gyro use. Personally I use power box I gyro's, easy to set up, and I can do it with my I phone anywhere without dragging my lap top to the field.
jersey flyer is offline Find More Posts by jersey flyer
Old 12-19-2018, 09:29 AM
Find More Posts by grosbeak
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2012
2,094 Posts
Further to post 38, I installed the Aura 8 in PWM mode in my Pulse 125. It made a nice difference in stability and I have a lot more confidence flying on windy days.

The full writeup is at http://www.grosbeakrc.ca/aircraft/pu...e125_gyro.html
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old 01-16-2021, 10:47 PM
Find More Posts by bentwings
Bentwings
undefined
Joined Sep 2009
40 Posts
Over the course of this thread I’ve probable read it all. So here I post how and why I used a gyro on my warbird. Corsair.. I researched the full sized one heavily over the years since my very first one was built by my dad and I when I was about 5 years old. So there has been a model in my hangers for most of my life. My father in law flew them during the war . It was many years before I finall6 got h8m to talk about them. However I listened and learnerned a lot. It’s well know they were a handful if not respected. Or flown heavy handed. They required healthy right rudder on take off and correct airspeed.. it followed that the giant scale would probably have much the same properties.

The day came for my big Ziroli Corsair to be flown for the first time. No one would help or test fly it for me I even had a hard time getting a spotter. . I built it with an off set rudder as they really had. And had lots of rudder available. I really had not flown a lot prior to this. As I had a series of dumb thum crashes.

So with everything ready and the motor runn8ng very well I just let the plane tell me what it needed. It flew very well with no take off issues at all.
You could clearly see the right rudder just as you can see it in carrier ops in videos so I was happ.

We had some very good heli flyers at the field and on of them cornered me and side life would be much easier if I used a gyro like they did in the heli. I said fine except the steep price put them out of my range. So he says I give you one if you try it it. Well we became goo friends anyway but I couldn’t resist. So he gave me a top of the line gyro of the day. The helped me set it up. Others thought I was crazy for risking a super scale warbird likr this as nobody used gyro in airplanes at that time.

Well it worked perfectly right out of the box. Take offs were very easy and you could see it working.
Noe this was a rate gyro not today’s exotic things. It simply assisted yaw just like the heli. I tested it in flight with an of on switch on my tx of the day so I could see if it affected other areas. It got rid of the typical swishing flight of model corsairs. I eventually switched it to ne on when the gear were down but I still could turn it on or off in flight. It was perfect for that plane as I flew it. It spanned some 13 years of flying with no issues. Eventually a guy came out with probably the first auto pilot using thre of thes in the system. I some how got talked 8nto trying this too. It worked very well. I even made a take off with the auto pilot on by accident. That was a bit scary as it resulted in a grass. Clipping low level take off as it did tend to reduce total effective control deflection. It too had an off on switch. So it was just a matter of using it when needed. But again I did a lot of flying with it in several planes and all were successful. I still have this somewhere although I don’t think I’d use if today as the many that offer much better control.

So the bottom line I was one of the first to use gyro in our are and continued for a long time. Some of you may remember a ver old thread on another site called”Corsairblues. I was a part of this one for a long time. It covered many thing unique to corsairs as well as general flying. I’m a firm believer in model flight stabilization especially in big models. They have their purpose and means to save the day when you do your best to destroy your months of work.
bentwings is offline Find More Posts by bentwings

Quick Reply