logo
Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2019, 01:19 AM
Rcfalcon9525 is offline
Find More Posts by Rcfalcon9525
Registered User
Joined Mar 2019
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I guess with the fiberglass it soaked into the manilla folder to stiffen it up? i would never thought that would been strong enough
Rcfalcon9525 is offline Find More Posts by Rcfalcon9525
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-13-2019, 01:21 AM
Rcfalcon9525 is offline
Find More Posts by Rcfalcon9525
Registered User
Joined Mar 2019
2 Posts
I need 30cc Redwing RC Green Yak 55 Replacement Canopy. Can you tell me?
Rcfalcon9525 is offline Find More Posts by Rcfalcon9525
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 05:54 AM
jack01 is offline
Find More Posts by jack01
Registered User
jack01's Avatar
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,425 Posts
If you're trying to glue plastic to plastic, static model glue with methylene chloride in it will work well. Technically it's a solvent weld like PVC cement. It won't fog the canopy, but I'd test it on the coke bottle just in case.

I cracked the canopy on the Carden in my avatar and fixed it by making a doubler to go over the crack. The doubler was made from another canopy that was beyond help. It doesn't look the best, but it doesn't look bad enough to replace the canopy yet either.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 AM
bruce leach is online now
Find More Posts by bruce leach
Registered User
United States, NY, Haverstraw
Joined Apr 2010
104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
I guess with the fiberglass it soaked into the manilla folder to stiffen it up? i would never thought that would been strong enough
It did soak in a bit. When I removed the folder a little was embedded in the fiberglass. I was just looking around the house for something to wrap around the canopy that would mold to the shape. So I just sanded it down and then used finishing resin to smooth out any depressions. When I was satisfied I sprayed it silver and it looks fine.
bruce leach is online now Find More Posts by bruce leach
Last edited by bruce leach; 06-13-2019 at 07:26 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2019, 10:53 PM
epoweredrc is offline
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
epoweredrc's Avatar
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack01 View Post
If you're trying to glue plastic to plastic, static model glue with methylene chloride in it will work well. Technically it's a solvent weld like PVC cement. It won't fog the canopy, but I'd test it on the coke bottle just in case.

I cracked the canopy on the Carden in my avatar and fixed it by making a doubler to go over the crack. The doubler was made from another canopy that was beyond help. It doesn't look the best, but it doesn't look bad enough to replace the canopy yet either.
Thanks for the info.



Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce leach View Post
It did soak in a bit. When I removed the folder a little was embedded in the fiberglass. I was just looking around the house for something to wrap around the canopy that would mold to the shape. So I just sanded it down and then used finishing resin to smooth out any depressions. When I was satisfied I sprayed it silver and it looks fine.

Oh alright, so you just used it to keep things in place so the fiberglas would do a mold. I understand now. was thinking you left it on there.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 07:10 AM
bruce leach is online now
Find More Posts by bruce leach
Registered User
United States, NY, Haverstraw
Joined Apr 2010
104 Posts
Exactly, I wrapped it around the canopy and held it in place with rubber bands. Then I glassed it from the inside. When it cured took it off and yes some of it was embedded in the fiberglass, but I put some finishing resin over it and sanded it all smooth. Very solid and looks ok.
bruce leach is online now Find More Posts by bruce leach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2019, 07:00 PM
epoweredrc is offline
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
epoweredrc's Avatar
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce leach View Post
Exactly, I wrapped it around the canopy and held it in place with rubber bands. Then I glassed it from the inside. When it cured took it off and yes some of it was embedded in the fiberglass, but I put some finishing resin over it and sanded it all smooth. Very solid and looks ok.
Nice, I watched a video on doing fiberglass not sure im up for all of that work. he was just paying it on wood, i would liked to seen a video something making a curve out of it like for a canopy or something.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 PM
epoweredrc is offline
Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Electric Powered!
epoweredrc's Avatar
United States, GA, Buchanan
Joined Jan 2008
658 Posts
Well it didnt work out with the guy so im back trying to figure something out.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Last edited by epoweredrc; 07-07-2019 at 08:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message


Quick Reply
Message:


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 4 (0 members and 4 guests)
 
Thread Tools