Old 01-20-2021, 01:07 PM
Find More Posts by DR10044
George
United States, KY, Elizabethtown
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
P.S. Checking Futaba's software upgrade release notes you need to be using V3.7 or above to assign JetCat to slot 1.
Thanks, will upgrade the software and and try again. As far as why JetCat requires slot 1 I don’t know. But that is what I have read in a few places. I know it does not work if loaded in slot 8 or above.

Thanks for all your help.
DR10044 is offline Find More Posts by DR10044
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-20-2021, 01:09 PM
George
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
What software version are you running?

3.11 is the current version
I am upgrading to the current version tonight Judge. Thanks for you help. You always provide great support. Very much appreciated l
Old 01-20-2021, 03:05 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
P.S. Checking Futaba's software upgrade release notes you need to be using V3.7 or above to assign JetCat to slot 1.
You will need to relink each of your receivers after the update. Futaba has Model ID now to prevent inadvertently flying the wrong model.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 01-20-2021, 09:27 PM
George
Joined Mar 2007
853 Posts
Quote:
You will need to relink each of your receivers after the update. Futaba has Model ID now to prevent inadvertently flying the wrong model.
Thanks for your Help.
Old 01-28-2021, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by aussie_flyer
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
177 Posts
Mixing Question
I have Unilight system, so have assigned a 3 position switch to it, Switch SC.
Up is lights off, middle position is lights on, (you adjust the AFR to modify the light controller, for different strobe etc) and bottom position turns on all lights, especially Landig lights.
What I am trying to set up is, a mix or some other way, that when I put the retracts down (retract swich is on SE) the landing lights will come on, IF the main lighting swich SC is in the midlle postion, and if the SC switch is up (lighst off) the lights will be off regardless of the retract switch SE.
I've tried various P-Mixes etc, but can't get to work as I want, I can get the landing lights to come on via the retracts switch, but then the lights dont turn off completely with the SC switch, as I still have some offset in there that triggers the unilight controller.
Any help greatly appreciated.
aussie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by aussie_flyer
Old 01-28-2021, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Sounds like a job for conditions. Each condition allows you freedom to set mixes, throws, rates, etc. at will.
Old 01-28-2021, 11:06 PM
Find More Posts by aussie_flyer
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Mar 2009
177 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a job for conditions. Each condition allows you freedom to set mixes, throws, rates, etc. at will.
Thanks Judge,
That helped, thats what I;ve done, got it working now
aussie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by aussie_flyer
Old 02-08-2021, 07:10 AM
Find More Posts by DrPlague
Joined Dec 2020
10 Posts
Considering getting an 18SZ, is it still a good choice in its price range in 2021? It will be replacing my 14SG that I have been using for about 7 years.
DrPlague is offline Find More Posts by DrPlague
Old 02-08-2021, 09:10 AM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
T16IZ is cheaper and can do almost the same as T18SZ plus it has some nice features added.
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPlague View Post
Considering getting an 18SZ, is it still a good choice in its price range in 2021? It will be replacing my 14SG that I have been using for about 7 years.
The 16IZ/16SZ/18SZ would all be nice replacements for an agin 14SG.

The programming is identical between the 3 radios with the exception of the new 16IZ having built-in support for the Futaba CGY760 heli gyro. If you are in the EU the 16IZ does not do FASST, everywhere else it does.

Sticks:

16SZ=14SG same sticks
18SZ same sticks as 18MZ
16IZ new design for the 16IZ. Reports are very favorable for them
All three use pots

Screens are a little different with 16SZ being the lowest quality but still decent. All are color touch screens

16SZ = NiMH TX pack
16IZ = lipo TX pack charged using USB (phone or tablet charger will work)
18SZ = 2S LiFe pack

All US models do all Futaba protocols (FASST/FASSTest/SFHSS/TFHSS)

If I did not need ti today but could wait a few weeks, I'd get the 16IZ. Then the 18SZ and finally 16SZ.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 2020
10 Posts
Quote:
The 16IZ/16SZ/18SZ would all be nice replacements for an agin 14SG.

The programming is identical between the 3 radios with the exception of the new 16IZ having built-in support for the Futaba CGY760 heli gyro. If you are in the EU the 16IZ does not do FASST, everywhere else it does.

Sticks:

16SZ=14SG same sticks
18SZ same sticks as 18MZ
16IZ new design for the 16IZ. Reports are very favorable for them
All three use pots

Screens are a little different with 16SZ being the lowest quality but still decent. All are color touch screens

16SZ = NiMH TX pack
16IZ = lipo TX pack charged using USB (phone or tablet charger will work)
18SZ = 2S LiFe pack

All US models do all Futaba protocols (FASST/FASSTest/SFHSS/TFHSS)

If I did not need ti today but could wait a few weeks, I'd get the 16IZ. Then the 18SZ and finally 16SZ.
Thanks for the feedback, and the guys above. looking at the 16IZ now does anyone know any details on "Voice" function? can it assign a voice alert to a switch position? does the 16IZ use the same gimbals as the 14SG/16SZ? or as the 18SZ/18MZ?

Is there likely to be a 18IZ ?

Last question if price was not considered would your buying preference still be 16IZ -> 18SZ -> 16SZ or is the 18SZ still the best of the 3?
Last edited by DrPlague; 02-08-2021 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 06:29 PM
AHP
Find More Posts by AHP
AHP
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,152 Posts
FWIW, I upgraded from my (12 y/o!) 10CAG to the 18SZ last fall. There was a brief learning curve with the new programming but after a few YouTube tutorials I was able to figure everything out and go from there. I predominately fly 35-40% aerobatic planes and found everything I needed to do from ganging multiple servos per surface, mixes, conditions, differentials, timers, etc.. all to be easily configured. It's way more powerful/capable than I would realistically ever need for my usage. I have a few minor nits with the UI and some things could be a bit more intuitive, but nothing I'd truly complain about. Battery life is awesome as well.

I was initially pretty much sold on the 16SZ as it would have been just as capable for my needs, but ultimately went with the 18SZ, partially out of vanity, TBH -- I thought the all black case on the 16 was a bit cheapo-looking. Though the silver gets fingerprinted and smudged up, so my OCD makes me wipe it down with a microfiber cloth at the end of the day. The gimbals was a partial selling point as well, but honestly I can hardly feel much of a difference from my trusty 10C which I don't find to be a negative. I think the gimbal thing is way overblown and certainly isn't going to make you a better pilot. The battery life is probably most the tangible benefit; I've lost exact track now but I easily get 7-8 hours.
AHP is offline Find More Posts by AHP
Old 02-08-2021, 06:30 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
As noted both here and RCG the only Futaba radios that can do custom voices are the 14MZ/18MZ/32MZ.

The rest have voices for telemetry info, but not user customized voiced.

Still a toss up for me 16IZ vs 18SZ. Both have 18 channels, but the 18SZ has 2 more trim tabs (T5 & T6) on the front of the TX and a different case. If that is not important to you and you can wait a month or so, I'd get the 16IZ. I like the TX format a lot (same as 32MZ). If you are in a hurry, I would get the 18SZ and go fly.
Old 02-09-2021, 02:15 AM
Joined Dec 2020
10 Posts
Extra trim tabs I don't know I will ever need (have not so far). I do like the 16IZ form factor.

Thanks for the Gimbal feedback AHP, gimbals was probably the main reason was going to spend more on the 18SZ but it seems like most people think the gimbals are not too much different between the models.

I am still curious what gimbals it has though, only info I have come up with is "unequivocally does not use 16SZ/14SG gimbals" is there any news on that front?

Last question I guess is on the screen, any further details released on that? the 16SZ screen seems to have been
criticized a bit.
Last edited by DrPlague; 02-09-2021 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2021, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by haribo
Joined Dec 2016
984 Posts
Quote:
The programming is identical between the 3 radios with the exception of the new 16IZ having built-in support for the Futaba CGY760 heli gyro.
Yes but you always forget to mention that the old school technology program box is necessary for updating the CGY760.
I hate to say this but Futaba is still out of date in comparison to the Pizzabox or other alternatives.
haribo is offline Find More Posts by haribo

Quick Reply