logo
Old 04-01-2014, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by Parakos
Sverige, Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bird View Post
The elevator on the 2.3 and 2.6 seems to be very powerful. I had a similar situation with my 2.6 and used a tiny amount of throw in my low (sequence set up) rates. I managed to find the right balance of throw and expo once I got the CG set.
Thanks, guess I'l have to dial mine down a bit more. Was thinking about changing hole on the SWB servo arm for the linkage one more hole closer to the servo to increase servo resolution. I will not have the same "brake-effect" though when taxing due to reduced throws...
Parakos is offline Find More Posts by Parakos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-01-2014, 02:10 AM
Find More Posts by Dave Wilshere
Joined Apr 2008
79 Posts
Another new scheme is available to order now :-)

I run massive, full movement and soften with expo. it's everyone's choice on set up, but it works for me.

Kramte2

Get the basics set first, up elevator mixed with rudder 8-10% normally, differential set for axial rolling. Depending on balance setting, some rudder to aileron mix, just a few % normally. Balance is down to the type of flying, but balance will change how it feels in pitch (elevator) so the two must be adjusted equally before expo can be nailed. Normally the simple test of pull up 45 degrees, roll inverted and neutralize the elevator to see if it climbs or dives. Once it stays on the line you are close for normal flight settings. Its not necessary to make the Extra tail heavy for 3-D as it has massive elevator power!
Dave Wilshere is offline Find More Posts by Dave Wilshere
Old 04-01-2014, 10:45 AM
Find More Posts by kramte2
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere View Post
Another new scheme is available to order now :-)

I run massive, full movement and soften with expo. it's everyone's choice on set up, but it works for me.

Kramte2

Get the basics set first, up elevator mixed with rudder 8-10% normally, differential set for axial rolling. Depending on balance setting, some rudder to aileron mix, just a few % normally. Balance is down to the type of flying, but balance will change how it feels in pitch (elevator) so the two must be adjusted equally before expo can be nailed. Normally the simple test of pull up 45 degrees, roll inverted and neutralize the elevator to see if it climbs or dives. Once it stays on the line you are close for normal flight settings. Its not necessary to make the Extra tail heavy for 3-D as it has massive elevator power!
Thanks,
Need to get more flights during the next weekend and starting to setup diff, mixing and balance etc.
kramte2 is offline Find More Posts by kramte2
Old 04-05-2014, 05:54 PM
Sverige, Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Starting to get more and more feel for bird now. Still, a lot of work is needed before I'm satisfied. I want it more nose heavy so I ordered a black TruTurn spinner. They sure ain't cheap, but it will look nice and run true. New wing tube is also ordered.

So far I only need 5° on the elevator for IMAC. On full rates the plane is like a wild bull, almost lost the plane when I was taking of - I had missed to change to low rates....
Last edited by Parakos; 04-06-2014 at 04:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:28 PM
Find More Posts by kramte2
Joined Sep 2011
15 Posts
330SC Futaba cheme

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramte2 View Post
Yes it is orange scheme. The "Futaba"-scheme gained a huge popularity and was my favorite too. My next project will be a Futaba scheme...
Custom Futaba scheme in Project
kramte2 is offline Find More Posts by kramte2
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Find More Posts by mooneyrocket
Fly low, punch it... Smoke on!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2008
399 Posts
That's so sick! I love the futaba scheme. Post more pics of it as you build her! Might get the 300sx someday for precision don't know.
mooneyrocket is offline Find More Posts by mooneyrocket
Old 04-28-2014, 04:47 PM
Find More Posts by Nicolas74100
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parakos View Post
Maiden finally done!

It was one of those stormy weekends again but I couldn't resist anymore and loaded the car.

The storm made it too early to comment on the performance of the plane, but as far as I could tell it tracked very well and I only needed one click right aileron. The throws which is in the 300SX manual were way too big and I thought for one moment that I wouldn't get the plane down in one piece. All in all I made two flights and the second flight went a lot better with the reduced throws - on a 45degree inverted upline the plane slowly wanted to level out so I guess it's not tail heavy. A more calm day is needed to evaluate the CG...
Congratulations Parakos ! It seems it was a cold day !!!
Can you tell what's your engine please ? DA-100 ?
And your feeling with your weight/engine ?

Mine with DA100, 3blades 25x12, PowerBox, etc.,: ~14,7Kg
First flight in ~10 days.

Best
Nicolas74100 is offline Find More Posts by Nicolas74100
Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 AM
Sverige, Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas74100 View Post
Congratulations Parakos ! It seems it was a cold day !!!
Can you tell what's your engine please ? DA-100 ?
And your feeling with your weight/engine ?

Mine with DA100, 3blades 25x12, PowerBox, etc.,: ~14,7Kg
First flight in ~10 days.

Best
I'm using a DLE-111 with a Muller 25x12 3-blade. With it's all up weight of 14kg it feels a little heavy on the uplines where you have to punch the throttle. I'm actually going to replace the DLE with a GP123 since I need the extra power. I think I also need to to add a degree to the engine thrust angle, I guess this is because of the 3-blade prop.

Despite it's weight it is a joy to land, it floats and it is very easy to do nice landings! Also, the airframe is vey slippery and it kan sometimes be difficult to make it slow down during approches. Compare the fuse to an Extreme Flight Exra 300 and you get my point.

I made around 12 flights during the weekend and I'm finally getting the hangs of the IMAC Sportsman-program. I admit the inverted parts were a bit scary in the beginning since it's a new airframe.

Some advice, do not use too large throws as it will result in a scary experience. If I remember correctly, my low rates for the elevator is ca 10mm. I almost lost the plane when I accidentally took of with high rate throws.

Summery so far:

Positive:
  • Very nice flight performance!
  • Looks, looks and LOOOKS! This is a gorgeous airframe!
  • Advantage of the composite airframe is that it is straight, I have ZERO trim and it holds the line very well.
  • Incidence angles etc. seems to be perfect as far as I can tell (one of the reasons I went with Carf).
  • Very rigid design and you don't have to be afraid of leaving craters in the fuse skin when you carry it.
Negative:
  • The airframe will get heavy fast if you are not carefully selecting your components, gets tail heavy very easily.
  • Supplied with aluminium wing/stab tube, this is a composite airframe it should come with carbon wing tubes! Even the wood arfs come with carbon tubes... (I have a new wing tube on the way from Graphtec, very nice service btw).
  • A lot of the supplied hardware were crap (bad ball links, pin screws for turnbuckles etc.) and does not belong in a €1600 kit...
  • Can sometimes be hard to make it stop when you release the sticks during snap rolls.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:45 AM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
  • Supplied with aluminium wing/stab tube, this is a composite airframe it should come with carbon wing tubes! Even the wood arfs come with carbon tubes... (I have a new wing tube on the way from Graphtec, very nice service btw).
  • A lot of the supplied hardware were crap (bad ball links, pin screws for turnbuckles etc.) and does not belong in a €1600 kit...
  • Can sometimes be hard to make it stop when you release the sticks during snap rolls.
Hello Parakos.
Thanks for your feedback.
You should keep your aluminium wing tube I think
I have 2 Carf Extra 300Sx and during snap rolls, when I release the sticks, it instantly stops the snap rolls. I hope my 330sc will be the same

I'll post some pictures of mine (Custom Scheme).

Best,
Nicolas.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:59 AM
Sverige, Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
When the alu wing tube weighs more than twice as much as the carbon tube it is hard to resist not getting a carbon tube.
My plane continous to roll about a 1/4 of a turn efter I release the sticks. Perhaps I need more throws during this maneuver?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:32 AM
Joined Aug 2012
14 Posts
Quote:
When the alu wing tube weighs more than twice as much as the carbon tube it is hard to resist not getting a carbon tube.
My plane continous to roll about a 1/4 of a turn efter I release the sticks. Perhaps I need more throws during this maneuver?
Yep. I hope your wing tube won't break !
A guy at my airfield had the same problem than yours. It was due to his servos: they were not powerful enough and accurate. However I don't think it's the cause of your problem.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:41 AM
Sverige, Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
165 Posts
Hehe, me too. Anyway, the servos is not the problem (Hitec 9380Th). 34kg+ and they are extremely precise and has no gear play (very impressed). It may have something to do with the 3-blade prop...
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by divad_strebor
Joined Aug 2012
142 Posts
Hi guys, I'm thinking about ordering myself one of these later this year, and i was just wondering how much room there is for canisters? In particular, could someone please measure the gap under the wing tube, and the length from exhaust ports to wing tube? Thanks in advance. I'll be using a da120, and already have cans, so i don't really want to fork out for new ones if i can avoid it. I can make headers to suit whatever is needed (I'm thinking crossovers might be the go, to get the cans as far forward as possible. That should help with the balance situation you're all talking about, too)
divad_strebor is offline Find More Posts by divad_strebor
Old 04-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,592 Posts
Quote:

Try using a little less rudder and see what happens.
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM
Find More Posts by dmcquinn
USA, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2007
1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by divad_strebor View Post
Hi guys, I'm thinking about ordering myself one of these later this year, and i was just wondering how much room there is for canisters? In particular, could someone please measure the gap under the wing tube, and the length from exhaust ports to wing tube? Thanks in advance. I'll be using a da120, and already have cans, so i don't really want to fork out for new ones if i can avoid it. I can make headers to suit whatever is needed (I'm thinking crossovers might be the go, to get the cans as far forward as possible. That should help with the balance situation you're all talking about, too)

There is not enough space to go under the wing tube, but the canisters should stop short of the tube. I intended to use tuned pipe, but found that the space between the wing tube and the landing gear mount did not allow the tuned pipe to pass through. I ended up using in-cowl muffler. I'll do some measurement and reply back later.
dmcquinn is offline Find More Posts by dmcquinn

Quick Reply