Old 02-24-2021, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
Im interested in hearing about vibration/shaking with this motor. Especially if you can compare it with other motors in this size range, like DLE-130 and ZDZ-140.
I have 144 I have never seen the engines you list but I will go out on a limb and say it can out shake any other engine in production. I can cut off one side of a 28 inch Falcon prop on my GP 123 or DA 120 and they can not shake as much as a DJ 144
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2021, 03:36 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Vids or it never happened. 😁
Ok ill take a vid for you hahah, I did do a few but there noting special hahah
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 02-24-2021, 03:41 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I have 144 I have never seen the engines you list but I will go out on a limb and say it can out shake any other engine in production. I can cut off one side of a 28 inch Falcon prop on my GP 123 or DA 120 and they can not shake as much as a DJ 144
How many hours do you have on yours now?

-Is it mounted on the stock length stand offs?

-after1800- 2000rpm does it smooth out?

-Timing wise its should be set to about 24 Degress BTDC, 28-32 witll give more shake at idle - Its about 9.5mm from the sensor edge to the magnet center. (The Da120 runs lower timing like this too)

-What is your idle speed?

Lighter Airframes will make it look worse too, The Video of G8's extra does that shake the same as yours?.
My Sbach having more wing area a thicker wing and bit more solid than today models would absorb this better i feel.

Just trying to work out why your s might be worse
Old 02-26-2021, 04:56 AM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Vids or it never happened. 😁
Ta Da - Video

36% Pilot rc Sbach342 -DJ144 (0 min 26 sec)
Old 02-26-2021, 12:32 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
How many hours do you have on yours now?

-Is it mounted on the stock length stand offs?

-after1800- 2000rpm does it smooth out?

-Timing wise its should be set to about 24 Degress BTDC, 28-32 witll give more shake at idle - Its about 9.5mm from the sensor edge to the magnet center. (The Da120 runs lower timing like this too)

-What is your idle speed?

Lighter Airframes will make it look worse too, The Video of G8's extra does that shake the same as yours?.
My Sbach having more wing area a thicker wing and bit more solid than today models would absorb this better i feel.

Just trying to work out why your s might be worse
Mine is on a PAU MXS Viper about 28.5 pounds. If I idle it up to smooth it out my plane is taxiing at almost take off speed. Abot three gallons thru it. Running an Extreme RC ignition way retarded to reduce the stupid kick back it has. Original
ignition was crap three it away. Throttle response is great power on par with GP 123. As soon as I have time I am going to pull this engine and put it up for sale. I may not get much because my dad will describe the vibration. Overall I think this engine will be fine after a generation or two to improve it's short comings.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Old 02-26-2021, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
4,760 Posts
the unfortunate thing about many of these Chinese engines is that they are introduced, hyped, and then the company's behind them disappear. The obvious exceptions are GP and DLE, but too many others have come and gone. I recently literally threw away a EVO 62GX because Horizon stopped supporting the brand. I know others have similar stories.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 02-26-2021, 04:28 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Mine is on a PAU MXS Viper about 28.5 pounds. If I idle it up to smooth it out my plane is taxiing at almost take off speed. Abot three gallons thru it. Running an Extreme RC ignition way retarded to reduce the stupid kick back it has. Original
ignition was crap three it away. Throttle response is great power on par with GP 123. As soon as I have time I am going to pull this engine and put it up for sale. I may not get much because my dad will describe the vibration. Overall I think this engine will be fine after a generation or two to improve it's short comings.
I also moved to the Rcxell ign unit too, as didnt want a kicker

12 litres is heaps and would be broken in for sure, In my video does your perform the same or better/Worse in terms of Idle shake?

What idle speed do you get Reliably.?
Old 02-26-2021, 04:30 PM
Guided by JR Propo
Victoria, Austrailia
Joined Mar 2008
3,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
the unfortunate thing about many of these Chinese engines is that they are introduced, hyped, and then the company's behind them disappear. The obvious exceptions are GP and DLE, but too many others have come and gone. I recently literally threw away a EVO 62GX because Horizon stopped supporting the brand. I know others have similar stories.
Yeah Totaly agree, Id like a Ums but i do wonder if they will still be going in 5 years time, And if i can get parts.

Leo @ DJ im sure will be around for some times and is making some refinements to the 144 as well as other projects.

But yeah there is a lot to be said for backup long term support .
Old 04-06-2021, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dhuckin
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2020
75 Posts
Quick update. Mine has been flown hard for 2 years now. No problems whatsoever. Power is ridiculous on a 106" edge. It's been such a good engine that 2 guys in my club have purchased the 85cc and I'm about to buy another 144 for another plane I'm starting on. The guys with the 85's have had no problems either and seem to be smoother and make more power than the da 85's other club members have.
3Dhuckin is offline Find More Posts by 3Dhuckin
Old 04-06-2021, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Dhuckin View Post
Quick update. Mine has been flown hard for 2 years now. No problems whatsoever. Power is ridiculous on a 106" edge. It's been such a good engine that 2 guys in my club have purchased the 85cc and I'm about to buy another 144 for another plane I'm starting on. The guys with the 85's have had no problems either and seem to be smoother and make more power than the da 85's other club members have.
Are they still making the 144? Mine yanks my pilot 107 yak around like nothing spinning a 29x9 prop!
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 04-07-2021, 02:27 PM
Find More Posts by 3Dhuckin
United States, SC, Lancaster
Joined Jan 2020
75 Posts
Mike at mile high has them for $650. In my opinion it's the best deal out there for an engine with that much power.
3Dhuckin is offline Find More Posts by 3Dhuckin

Quick Reply