logo
Old 09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoi08
Joined Aug 2008
113 Posts
How difficult is it to build a Dalton or Carden?

What tools will I need? Are there directions included that are easy to follow? Is it basically glueing peices together then sanding or am I looking at getting 4 peices of wood for 1000 bucks and i get to make an airplane? Thanks guys, im going to get the house ready for the hurricane, I hope I have lots of replys when i get back.
Sukhoi08 is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoi08
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-04-2008, 02:29 PM
Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Suspended Account
United States, OK, Bethel
Joined Jan 2006
5,049 Posts
Re: How difficult is it to build a Dalton or Carden?

Well I can't speak to much about Dalton's but I can speak for Carden's. Unless you are a capable builder you do not even need to try and get one. You do get instructions with a Carden but you mostly get a bunch of sheeting, a box of sticks and a bunch of foam. All that is needed to finish the plane is included. If you are looking at getting a Carden be sure that it isnt your first kit you build. I'm on my 2nd Carden and I wont even think about building one. There is a ton of work that needs to be done. Its not just glueing some wood together and then sanding it. Its a ton more. The finished product looks like it might have been easy to put together but its far more than that. Think about it long and hard before you get one unless you have someone who can build it for you.
SmoothFlying is offline Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoi08
Joined Aug 2008
113 Posts

sure dont, thats why i was considering it myself. I may just have to buy a used one, but that leads to other types of problems.
Sukhoi08 is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoi08
Old 09-04-2008, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by Steve
United States, ID, Ashton
Joined Mar 2006
448 Posts

There are lots of Giant Scale Build threads on Carden Aircraft. I would suggest going through a couple of them and then deciding if it is for you or not. Lots of good info in those threads.
Steve is offline Find More Posts by Steve
Old 09-04-2008, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by dmcquinn
USA, MO, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2007
1,179 Posts

I have built three Carden 35% caps. They require you to be able to sheet foam wings (and tails and turtle deck) with 1/16 balsa. Most of the fuselage is stick / truss construction. every stick must be cut and fitted. You need to be able to cut the ailerons out of a sheeted wing. Cowl and wheel pants (fiberglass) is included and just needs to be sanded / painted. The plans are good, but there is not much of a step-by-step instruction book, They also included about 30 good quality pictures of particular details. The result is a very sweet flying plane. I had built about a dozen kits before embarking on this project. You can probably do it yourself, because you can get lots of help via this internet forum.
dmcquinn is offline Find More Posts by dmcquinn
Old 09-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by swk550
United States, TX, Porter
Joined Jul 2006
191 Posts

I have some 30 years building experience. Anywhere from simple Goldberg Falcon 56 trainer airplanes to my current 42% Dalton 300 MEL plane. I have built three Carden 35% airplanes. There is a lot of help on the internt. If this is your first build project with sheeted foam wings, then maybe you should hold off. Look at the build threads on this site and on RCU. See if there is a local contact you can get some guidance from if you get stuck on a point. All of these kits have basic drawings or plans that get you started. The written instructions only point you in the right direction. Even after 30 years of building, I sometimes use the wrong density of 1/16 sheeting on the wings or get it mixed up with turtle deck sheeting.

I can say all Cardens and Dalton kits are first rate in quality. Take your time and trial fit up each part before you glue it in.

Good luck,

Steve
swk550 is offline Find More Posts by swk550
Old 09-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

I found the Dalton to be a straight forward build. The comments about the instructions are correct though. You are expected to have some building experience with other kits. I think the reason for this is pretty simple. At this level, there is room for a lot of "customization" or "builder options". That is a good thing and one of the main reasons for a kit over an ARF. The fully sequenced, check list type of building manual does not readily apply.

The Cardens need (IMO) some more advanced modding to come out as light as some of the other kits. That is not a big deal though, as I understand there are pre-cut motor box sides or templates available to do the main lightening mods to them as well. If you like to build, take pride in your work and want an airplane that has "you" written all over it, jump in.

Your first one will likely take you three times as long as your second one. Buy two! LOL
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 09-04-2008, 04:13 PM
Find More Posts by 3dav8r
Fly it like you stole it !
United States, CA, Salinas
Joined Jan 2006
293 Posts

I've never built a Carden but have done about 10 of the Dalton's 260s, 300s, and a couple of the MEL 300s. If you have done a bit of framing and sheeting on some smaller stuff I would have to say the Dalton would be a great choice for a first large scale build. Its a first class kit with a great set of plans and instructions that you can download from www.daltonaviation.com There are also a number of great build threads on this site. I have gone through a Carden kit and would have to say it is not a beginners kit, but just as good quality.
Good luck.
3dav8r is offline Find More Posts by 3dav8r
Old 09-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by as722
Pennsyvania
Joined Jan 2006
1,592 Posts

Neither is a beginers kit but then again you should not be building either as your first kit. Go with the one you like most based on looks because both are about the same when it comes to building and both can fly better than most of us.

Albert
as722 is offline Find More Posts by as722
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
United States, GA, Watkinsville
Joined Aug 2007
1,272 Posts

Find the "Noobs gonna build a Carden" thread by Gareth.KY......

Here you go... https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg69/22313-n00bs-gonna-build-carden.html

Jason
Spdstr280Z is offline Find More Posts by Spdstr280Z
Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by Simpleton
That Was a Close Shave!
USA
Joined Oct 2006
660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdstr280Z View Post
Find the "Noobs gonna build a Carden" thread by Gareth.KY......

Here you go... https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/fg69/22313-n00bs-gonna-build-carden.html

Jason

Bingo, there ya go.
Simpleton is offline Find More Posts by Simpleton
Old 09-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by Hammerman
DA isn't Haulin it? It Drags
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2006
2,620 Posts

If the building is what is holding you back you might look at all the ARF kits available. Also if you are open to other Copmanys take a look at Aero-Works Quick Build series. They are fast to assemble and fly really well.
Hammerman is offline Find More Posts by Hammerman
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Suspended Account
United States, OK, Bethel
Joined Jan 2006
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoi08 View Post
sure dont, thats why i was considering it myself. I may just have to buy a used one, but that leads to other types of problems.
Most of the Cardens for sale right now are pretty well taken care of. I would recommend, if you are serious about a Carden, I dont see why you wouldnt be , to take someone who is very knowledgable about Cardens and have them check it out for you. You want to check all the fittings of the wood and just make sure nothing really looks "repaired". Even if the plane has been rebuilt a little a good builder can repair it back to just about new! There is a nice one on RCU right now. Its a 330, I believe its red, yellow and white.
SmoothFlying is offline Find More Posts by SmoothFlying
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Find More Posts by rdgood
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jan 2006
2,059 Posts

Sukhoi08,

I definitely wouldn't attempt one if your going to try and build it yourself. Now if you have a flying bud who has built one - I would recommend teaming up with him especially for the more critical steps in the build like sheeting the wings and tail group. The other thing is having a well equipped shop. A flat 8 foot table is must!
Incidence meters you will need at least 2 with the long bars to fit across the large wings. It can be done - my last build took around 400 plus man hours..

Ronster
rdgood is offline Find More Posts by rdgood
Old 09-04-2008, 10:02 PM
Find More Posts by jongurley
Vess Propellers!
Goldsboro, North Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,475 Posts

I agree I bought a Carden 40% Extra a couple months ago, aiframe is 4-5 years old but WELL taken care of, looks great, and it was built by a respected builder and it is in just as good shape today as it was when it was new, I am not a builder, , yeh I can build a telemaster but I don't even think about tackling a carden,, , all thought they are the best choice ,, IMO
jongurley is offline Find More Posts by jongurley

Quick Reply