logo
Old 08-05-2017, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by FlyerAllan
United States, WA, Newcastle
Joined Jul 2016
174 Posts
Discussion
SuperReg Voltage Transients

I have a SuperReg powered by a pair of 2s lipos. The outputs are connected to an 8 channel Spektrum receiver which is driving 6 servos and a tech aero IBEC which powers the ignition in a 50cc gasser. I also have one of the charge ports connected to the flight pack telemetry port on the rx.

Everything works great with the batteries at full charge. When the batteries get down to about 7.7V (according to telemetry), I have the following symptom:
Immediately following a control movement the telemetry alarms briefly. If I watch the telemetry display I can sometimes see that the voltage is momentarily surging to over 10V. The receiver voltage (according to telemetry) seems to be solid at 6V and the airplane behaves normally.

What is going on here? Is there something wrong with my superreg? Why does this happen only when batteries reach 7.7V? Has anyone seen this problem before?

Note: Also sent this message using the contact form on the SmarFly web site.

Jeff B
FlyerAllan is offline Find More Posts by FlyerAllan
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-07-2017, 09:09 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
As I replied to your direct inquiry, I think this is a case of "load dump" since the voltage rise is on the battery side and not the output regulated side. Nothing the regulator can do can cause this since its on the input side. Since your receiver voltage does not change during this momentary load dump the regulator is working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerAllan View Post
I have a SuperReg powered by a pair of 2s lipos. The outputs are connected to an 8 channel Spektrum receiver which is driving 6 servos and a tech aero IBEC which powers the ignition in a 50cc gasser. I also have one of the charge ports connected to the flight pack telemetry port on the rx.

Everything works great with the batteries at full charge. When the batteries get down to about 7.7V (according to telemetry), I have the following symptom:
Immediately following a control movement the telemetry alarms briefly. If I watch the telemetry display I can sometimes see that the voltage is momentarily surging to over 10V. The receiver voltage (according to telemetry) seems to be solid at 6V and the airplane behaves normally.

What is going on here? Is there something wrong with my superreg? Why does this happen only when batteries reach 7.7V? Has anyone seen this problem before?

Note: Also sent this message using the contact form on the SmarFly web site.

Jeff B
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply