Old 08-15-2011, 09:35 AM
Find More Posts by Jason_FG
North Aurora, IL
Joined Nov 2009
55 Posts
Discussion
Dual Receiver Ignition Cutoff Question

Hello,

I just purchased and installed the smart-fly cutoff for dual receivers and have a question regarding the green LED status on the transmitter board. The instructions state that if both receivers are working that the LED should glow on solid, if one of the two receivers does not have a signal then the LED blinks indicating only one receiver is functioning (and we still allow ignition power - perfect).

The red LED on the receiver board appears to work OK; the trouble is that the green LED is always flashing when both receivers are powered up and functioning. The interesting thing is that if only ONE of the TWO receivers is on the green LED is on solid (I tried both receivers independently)... Did I misunderstand the owners manual? The product appears to function correctly the only thing is the green LED will always flash when 'everything is OK'...

A small detail but it will attract attention at the field and may call the status of the ignition cutoff into question ....

This is a very nice product, by the way!

Thank you,
Jason
Jason_FG is offline Find More Posts by Jason_FG
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by rrritchey
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi Jason,
The green LED will flash if it senses both receivers but then they do not keep in sync. Have you tried only having the Cutoff plugged into 1 receiver at a time to be sure each receiver will work the Cutoff? This is the first debugging step.
rrritchey is offline Find More Posts by rrritchey
Site Sponsor
Old 08-16-2011, 04:14 PM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Nov 2009
55 Posts
Dual Receiver Synchronization

Ah, I see. Yes - each independent receiver cuts off the ignition when only one receiver is plugged into the smart-fly transmitter at one time. And the ignition cuts off when both are plugged in so the unit functions. The receivers must be out of sync as you stated- so this explains the flashing green LED, its no big deal.

Interesting, I figured the digital spektrum stuff would be in sync but mine are not. When I upgraded from two AR6100s to two AR8000s the plane needed re-setup because some of the control surfaces were off a bit.... Now I know how to explain it to inquiring minds.

Interesting, huh?

Thank you!

Jason
Last edited by Jason_FG; 08-16-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by wfield0455
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Oct 2007
3,013 Posts
But how can they be out of sync when they are both driven by the same transmitter ??? Doesn't that indicate something is different between the 2 receivers like a voltage regulator out of calibration so they are using 2 different voltages or something???? I think I would want to understand exactly what is different...
wfield0455 is online now Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old 08-16-2011, 09:02 PM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Nov 2009
55 Posts
Dual receiver signal sync

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
But how can they be out of sync when they are both driven by the same transmitter ??? Doesn't that indicate something is different between the 2 receivers
Excellent question; and I'm not saying this is an issue with the Smart-Fly product. When I find enough motivation to hook up a dual trace oscilloscope to the cutoff signal outputs of each receiver to compare phase shift I will report back with the waveforms. But honesly I can say this will not be until winter in the midwest because due to our relatively short flying season my time will be spent flying and repairing birds to keep them in the air.... The smart-fly performs as expected and advertised with cutoff to the ignition module; the out of phase signals from two receivers and flashing green transmitter board LED issue will have to wait for me to measure the signal output waveforms from two receivers.

But I think the biggest thing to point out is that I love the product and the receiver board remote LED installed on the model near the ignition power switch is nice and bright.

Jason
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi Jason,
I think you should verify that each receiver is operating correctly and that each lead of the Cutoff is operating properly. I should send you a new transmitter just to see if the issue is the Cutoff or your receivers. Can you e-mail me with your address? Its probably in our system but I just want to verify. Thanks,
Site Sponsor
Old 08-26-2011, 03:40 PM
North Aurora, IL
Joined Nov 2009
55 Posts
Problem has been identified

Here is the follow up; Smart-fly sent a new TX board to help troubleshoot. The new board behaved the same so I called Smart-fly for help, got some more information and ideas and rooted out the issue.

Once the smart-fly transmitter determines that one of the two RXs has an issue it latches into the warning state with the Blinking green LED. My dual receiver setup has an independent switch for each RX where each RX has its own battery. It was discovered that IF both switches are thrown on at 'exactly' the same time the smart-fly transmitter generally comes up with a solid green. The Spektrum AR8000 RXs do not boot at exactly the same rate, one usually takes a second or so longer than the other. So the time combined time differences between throwing the power on switches at the 'same time' and boot time of the RXs is what was causing the opto-kill transmitter to blink green at power-up.

The unit works fine other than this nuisance which really can be considered a radio issue.

- Jason
Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Hi,
I would like to add that this only happens with JR/Spektrum receivers and the fact they seem to "glitch" before settling in. I am not sure if they output the failsafe position then go to the position the transmitter is sending after they finish initializing or what. So far I have not seen this behavior on any other manufacturers receivers. Futaba, Hitec and Airtronics all seem to do the expected thing during power up. I do not believe they start outputting pulses before they see the transmitter on. This way both receivers will start outputting pulses at the same time.
Site Sponsor
Old 07-09-2017, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm necro-posting this ancient thread as I have a few questions regarding the Dual Rx cutoff.

I have had a lot of experience with both the single Rx and regulated models, this my first experience with the Dual Rx model.

Firstly, the instructions mention compatibility with both 2s LiPo and LiFe batts. I plan on using (for the first time with a Smart Fly product) a 4.8v NiMh battery for the ignition as recommended in the instructions of an older Zenoah G20 engine I plan on using. Any problems with using that batt. chemistry here?

Secondly the instructions on the 'Features' list mention a selectable output of 5v or 6v. How is that selection made? I am familiar with the 'jumper' on the Regulated models but do not see that capability with the Dual Rx model.

Thanks in advance for any infos!

Doug
FoamieAirfarce is offline Find More Posts by FoamieAirfarce
Old 07-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
On the Dual-Rx model both the FO-Tx and FO-Rx will work from 4.8v - 8.4v.

I am not sure about the selectable voltage as that only applies to the single and dual ignition models of the FO-Rx. Can you point out where that is in the Dual-Rx manual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieAirfarce View Post
Hello Gentlemen,

I'm necro-posting this ancient thread as I have a few questions regarding the Dual Rx cutoff.

I have had a lot of experience with both the single Rx and regulated models, this my first experience with the Dual Rx model.

Firstly, the instructions mention compatibility with both 2s LiPo and LiFe batts. I plan on using (for the first time with a Smart Fly product) a 4.8v NiMh battery for the ignition as recommended in the instructions of an older Zenoah G20 engine I plan on using. Any problems with using that batt. chemistry here?

Secondly the instructions on the 'Features' list mention a selectable output of 5v or 6v. How is that selection made? I am familiar with the 'jumper' on the Regulated models but do not see that capability with the Dual Rx model.

Thanks in advance for any infos!

Doug
Site Sponsor
Old 07-10-2017, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrritchey View Post

I am not sure about the selectable voltage as that only applies to the single and dual ignition models of the FO-Rx. Can you point out where that is in the Dual-Rx manual?
Thanks for the reply!

From the 'Smart Fly' web page;

But I'm thinking now it's errant info on the 'features' list (?)
Old 07-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Sep 2006
447 Posts
Yea, the contractor I had to bring up OpenCart did not copy the info from the old website to the new as accurately as I would have liked. Will try to go through the Cutoffs today to bring the descriptions in line. Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamieAirfarce View Post
Thanks for the reply!

From the 'Smart Fly' web page;

But I'm thinking now it's errant info on the 'features' list (?)
Site Sponsor
Old 07-11-2017, 09:35 AM
Joined Nov 2011
2,894 Posts
Super.............

In retrospect I should have realized it were a clerical error, but, with so much of our electronics now being programmed through software and firmware downloads I wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something..................

OK great products, gotta LOVE Smart Fly!

Quick Reply