logo
Old 06-21-2020, 08:02 PM
Find More Posts by Dale D
United States, PA, Telford
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Question
Three line fuel tank

OK Guys, I have a three line fuel tank from VV. Vent and fill line on top carb line in cap. I am using a Dubro fuler. Can I put a T fitting in the fuel line going to the Dubro fuler then one line to the fill fitting on the tank? Will the carb still draw fuel ? I don't have any experience with Dubro Fulers.
Dale D is offline Find More Posts by Dale D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
If its the Dubro Fueler i think it is, This one will go between the Carb and the fuel tank clunk line.

I would recommend to not use that type on a Gas engine , Assuming its gas,

But in the Glo days thats what we would use and worked ok.

The Down site to this type of unit is that if it does not seal or get worn it will leak air into the carb line and cause a whole bunch of issues.

I would use the 3 lines system, So clunk to carb (With a filtered clunk or inline filter) and then one vent out the fuse and Then the fill line done with a Dot style cap or filler port.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 06-21-2020, 08:33 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
See this video for a visual explanation

Fuel System Setup (7 min 33 sec)
Old 06-21-2020, 08:50 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Yeah that's what I was thinking but I got the Dubro fuler with the plane so I thought I would use it. Think I will just order a fuel dot and be done with it. A little research I didn't find to much good about the fuler. Thanks for your help.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:59 PM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
yeah that type of Fueler idea was great in Theory and while new, But In practice not a Brilliant setup

Fuel dot works great and is a solid setup with a 3 line tank.
Old 06-22-2020, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by DGrant
Just havin' fun!
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2006
1,832 Posts
If you plan to drain that tank, you'll need access to the clunk line. I install a T in the clunk/carb line, and then the fuel dot is ran from there to side of plane.

That way I can fill, or drain from that dot... and yes ... you can't beat a good fuel dot... a nice aluminum machined dot is bullet proof.... and leak proof.

If you put a fill line in the top of the tank, you won't be able to drain it. I may be reading your post wrong... but I see you're using a 3 line system.... which isn't needed.

A simple 2 line tank, with a T fitting somewhere on the clunk-to-carb line, with fuel dot on side of plane to fill/drain, and the vent line routed over the top of the tank and down.... very simple and very effective. I do this exactly as done in the above video.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but why a 3 line tank?... is there a reason I'm not seeing?..
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old 06-22-2020, 12:33 AM
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post
If you plan to drain that tank, you'll need access to the clunk line. I install a T in the clunk/carb line, and then the fuel dot is ran from there to side of plane.

That way I can fill, or drain from that dot... and yes ... you can't beat a good fuel dot... a nice aluminum machined dot is bullet proof.... and leak proof.

If you put a fill line in the top of the tank, you won't be able to drain it. I may be reading your post wrong... but I see you're using a 3 line system.... which isn't needed.

A simple 2 line tank, with a T fitting somewhere on the clunk-to-carb line, with fuel dot on side of plane to fill/drain, and the vent line routed over the top of the tank and down.... very simple and very effective. I do this exactly as done in the above video.

Maybe I'm not understanding, but why a 3 line tank?... is there a reason I'm not seeing?..
The only down side to a two line system is that , Should the fuel dot tygon slip off the Dot nipple, you will have air in the feed/carb line = Dead stick.

same can occur with a T-piece or and inline filter but Not so much of a risk and that would be more of a slight leak at one of the fittings.

So the 3 Line is more solid / reliable setup But i have used 2 line and its been fine too
Old 06-22-2020, 06:54 AM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGrant View Post

I prefer the 3 line system as it removes another possible failure point as previously mentioned by Hodge.

If setup correctly, you are able to fill and drain from the dedicated fuel dot line. Below is a pic of my standard go to tank setup which uses a hard line as the fill/drain.
GR8R8 is offline Find More Posts by GR8R8
Old 06-22-2020, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by slothead
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Dec 2009
128 Posts
or put the fill line to the bottom of tank and you can defuel no problem
slothead is offline Find More Posts by slothead
Old 06-22-2020, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slothead View Post
or put the fill line to the bottom of tank and you can defuel no problem
Although possible, if the fitting leaked, oh what a mess....

I like to keep my fitting on the top, again trying to eliminate as many possible failure points as possible.
GR8R8 is offline Find More Posts by GR8R8
Old 06-23-2020, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by slothead
United States, IL, Rockford
Joined Dec 2009
128 Posts
fuel dot above fuel tank no problem fill line comes off tank you did not secure it very well...
slothead is offline Find More Posts by slothead
Old 06-23-2020, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
springdale, pa usa
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
I put a cluck on both the carb and fill/drain lines.
Tony Hallo is offline Find More Posts by Tony Hallo
Old 06-26-2020, 06:20 PM
Joined Mar 2010
67 Posts
Thanks for all of the response. I decided to go with the KISS theory. Went withe a three line tank and a fuel dot, works great !
Old 06-27-2020, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
yeah that type of Fueler idea was great in Theory and while new, But In practice not a Brilliant setup

Fuel dot works great and is a solid setup with a 3 line tank.
I never even liked those DuBro fuelers on glow. Tried one once and threw it out... leaky, tended to fill up with crud.

I used to just pull the line off the carb on my glows, or use a 3 line.
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin

Quick Reply