logo
Old 01-01-2008, 06:03 PM
Find More Posts by SuperDave
Bad-Ass Super Contortionist!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts
Tell us the history of IMAC...

OK all you IMAC veterans... we know where the roots of pattern lie, its history is well documented.

So, how about some of you fellas who were around when this BAD A$$ little organization known as IMAC got off the ground take some time to fill us in? I've been flying IMAC for four years and have always wondered when and where the idea to fly scale, Aresti-based patterns with scale planes first took off.

Please include any history on when and why the TOC changed over from .60 sized pattern to scale planes as well.

EDUCATE US-OH GREAT ONES!!
SuperDave is offline Find More Posts by SuperDave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 01-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts
Re: Tell us the history of IMAC...

Pssst

http://www.mini-iac.com/DesktopDefau...d=44&PageID=10
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 01-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts

Thanks Curt, that's a start. But, I want to hear some personal stories from the early days!

Where did it start, who had the idea, etc... And the TOC history.
Last edited by SuperDave; 01-01-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
THROTTLEMELON
Fremont, NH
Joined Aug 2006
1,180 Posts

I know that the TOC had its own rules. There was an added bonus for having a scale airplane. Before long, everybody was flying a scale airplane, and then it became part of the rules to fly a scale airplane.
Wojcigitty is offline Find More Posts by Wojcigitty
Old 01-02-2008, 12:12 AM
Zee
Find More Posts by Zee
Zee
Joined Jan 2007
440 Posts

Dave,
I have been flying IMAC since 1992, put on 12 contests. Way back in mid seventies I had aircraft business, orieted in Aerobatics, sometime I got the model out to the runway and flew the full scale aresti sequences, that was long time a go before I discovered IMAC.
Zee
Zee is offline Find More Posts by Zee
Old 01-02-2008, 12:14 AM
Zee
Find More Posts by Zee
Zee
Joined Jan 2007
440 Posts

By the way IMAC use to have added bonus for flying biplane.
Zee
Old 01-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by Vic3D
Suspended Account
Puerto Rico, Caguas, Caguas
Joined Jan 2006
5,011 Posts

TOC wasn't IMAC I think...
Vic3D is offline Find More Posts by Vic3D
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 01-02-2008, 12:23 AM
Zee
Find More Posts by Zee
Zee
Joined Jan 2007
440 Posts

TOC and IMAC were two different organisations. In some way's close to each another, but still different
Zee
Old 01-02-2008, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by mmcconville
United States, VA, Fredericksburg
Joined May 2006
947 Posts

TOC started using pattern models. In 1978 it went to scale models. It wasnt a bonus it was mandatory. After the first year the Laser 200 became very dominent, so in 1984 they had a 10% bonus for biplanes to encourage more diversity in airplane design. It was way too muchand next time (1988) it was 4% I think, then went to no bonus in 1990. They were all 4.2 cu in powered because the rules had a 22 lb limit and an eng disp limit. In 1994, they wanted the models to become larger so they removed the 22 lb limit and engine disp limit went up. They also gave a 1% bonus for a model over 2200 squares and 2% for over 3000 squares (a little bigger for bipes). That also lasted only once then the bonus was gone in the 1996 TOC through the last one in 2002, but big models were here to stay.

IMAC basically followed the TOC and the "TOC" airplanes became common in IMAC by 1999. I won the 1998 IMAC NATS with a 35% Cap and only flew my "TOC" airplane, which was a new 40% Cap, in the last round of that NATS.
By the next year, the 40% models were common in Unlimited class and soon after in all classes.
mmcconville is offline Find More Posts by mmcconville
Old 01-02-2008, 01:34 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,244 Posts

And then came the TAS.......
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 01-02-2008, 01:38 AM
Find More Posts by 3DBatixkid
im weeetaaaahded!
Sunnyvale
Joined Jun 2006
309 Posts

I am lucky enough to have known one of the legends in IMAC who was around from the very beginning, Glen Carter. Other instrumentals in the IMAC cause are Chris Walsh, Mike Stoner, Joe DeRenzi, and lots of others. I believe some of the first IMAC contests were held here in Livermore, California. As Mike said, there were much different rules and regulations at the time when IMAC was first being introduced. Now it seems we have all sorts of freedoms when it comes to the aircraft. I will try and get some more history from some of the other guys in the area.
3DBatixkid is offline Find More Posts by 3DBatixkid
Old 01-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Find More Posts by wmat7039
SILVER FOX
United States, GA, Dallas
Joined Jan 2006
2,610 Posts

Guys.... IMAC goes back to 1974. A group of aerobatics enthusiasts met in Toledo. Here is an account by one of our "Founding Fathers", Mr. Glenn Carter. Incidentally, this was written back in 2002.
Wayne Matthews
Chairman
IMAC Sequence Committee

REMEMBER WHEN -- IMAC #1 by Glenn Carter

IMAC had its roots back in 1974 at the Toledo Trade Show. Jerry Nelson and I, along with about 200 R/Cers formed the club to emulate full scale aerobatic competition as flown worldwide. At the time the IAC, International Aerobatic Club was dominated by the popular biplanes of the day -- Pitts, Jungmeister, EAA Bipes, Skybolt, etc. Initially we were known as the NSBA, National Sport Biplane Association and all flew Biplanes. Monoplanes had yet to become competitive. We were the first modeling group to use the Aresti continuous flow of maneuvers commonly referred to as “Turnaround” sequences. This was a major change from the previous 20-odd years of pattern flying where maneuvers were flown and judged one at a time. We felt the full scale turnaround sequence added more realism to our flight operations and was more challenging to fly as well. I’Mac combined the Best of Two Worlds – “Scale and Aerobatics.”

In 1976 we became the International Miniature Aerobatic Club (IMAC) and included monoplanes. The Czech Zlin, Russian Yak and French CAP 10B were soon replaced with more competitive Cap 21’s, Zlin 526 and theYak 50 in World Aerobatic Championships. The United States quickly caught up as Art Scholl unveiled his Super Chipmunk and Leo Loudenslager fine tuned the Stevens Akro into the awesome “Laser 200” – A prototype for many of today’s best rides. These hot 200+ Hp monoplanes became very popular in IMAC too. However, we continued to give Bipes a 2% bonus to keep them competitive until the new Ultimate Biplane leveled the playing field and the bonus was dropped.

The IMAC also established a close working relationship with the IAC. We were fortunate to have Glen and Hazel Sigafoose involved as they began printing and mailing our newsletter as well as hosting our IMAC Nationals at their private field in Montezuma, IA. The contests held at the Sig field often drew in excess of 100 entries with the added benefit of their offering tons of great SIG products as prizes in addition to trophies. SIG’s primary business was printing and they also made our decals for us.

Maxi (and Hazel) Hester continued to CD contests and distributed the newsletter through the 1990’s while I was IMAC’s Sec/Tr. & Editor. The newsletter had to be typed, reduced to 75%, and photos added, creating 20 -- ½ size pages which included news, rule changes and the sequences each year. I always loosely based our sequences on the current IAC and WAC class sequences which changed every year. Basic was later added and doesn’t change much from year to year except for where each maneuver appears in the sequence.

In 1978 the Tournament of Champions in Las Vegas adopted the IMAC’s Aresti sequences and scale requirement when Jerry Nelson was its CD for the first six years. The TOC was held on alternating years with the WAC.

In 1984 the FAI and Pattern community also adopted the Aresti (Turnaround) sequences.

As the IMAC & TOC grew in popularity the aircraft also became larger with Hanno Prettner capturing a total of 8 - 1st Place wins and won over $100.000.00 (1974-1988) flying his famous Dalotel. Many thought he must have gyros on board – his flying was so smooth. (He dispelled that theory by opening his hatches for everyone to see that there were none.)
To be continued……… Visit IMAC: www.Mini-IAC.com
Glenn Carter
IMAC #L2 -- International Liaison, Historian
2020 Gill Port Lane, Walnut Creek, CA 94598
IMACL2@aol.com

FUTURE DEVELOPMENTS 2003+

IMAC Officers and members at large may find it interesting to discuss some of the following points for development. Opinions and feedback can be shared among Board members and members at large in an Open Forum in the online newsletter. I believe it would help generate interest and add to our member's sense of belonging to an organization that listens to its members...etc.

1. Senior category for 55 or 60 and older. A subcategory of regular competitions.
2. MiniMac category for 72" wingspans and under.
3. Promote “Electrics” in the MiniMac or all categories.
(Have you seen what Electrics are capable of today? -- They can now do it all!)
4. Promote – Celebrate our "30th YEAR ANNIVERSARY" in 2004.
5. Promote Achievement Awards. Add Intermediate.
(They make nice awards for clinics & small contests or subcategories)
6. Pilot Profiles…………….
7. References to IAC/IMAC affiliations from Sport Aerobatics Magazine.
8. Comments and Suggestions Forum for members.

Glenn Carter
IMAC L2 -- International Liaison, Historian
2020 Gill Port Lane, Walnut Creek, CA 94598
wmat7039 is offline Find More Posts by wmat7039
Last edited by wmat7039; 01-02-2008 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts

WOW, thanks Mike and Wayne. That's what I was looking for!

Quick Reply