logo
Old 11-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
And here I thought we were talking about toy airplane engines. Wow...
Without going in to my 40+ years on performance snowmobiles, his latest sounded to me like he was just reinforcing my point - that there's little similarity between liquid and air cooled when it comes to oil requirements - beyond the fact they both need some.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Last edited by AHicks; 11-21-2016 at 07:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHicks View Post
It sounded to me like he just reinforced my point - that there's little similarity between liquid and air cooled when it comes to oil requirements - beyond the fact they both need some.
I second that! Don't see any similarity between those either.
I personally don't understand why people want to compare these r/c engines to anything other than themselves. They are quite outside of the norm for any other application.
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Last edited by acerc; 11-21-2016 at 07:59 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Find More Posts by super rookie
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Sep 2009
1,205 Posts
Haven't followed the whole thread but Dave Johnson at DA and I agreed to have me run
all of my DA motors as well as dozens of lawn care equipment from my landscape business
at 64-1 redline oil and I report back to him of any issues. Its an easy mix of 2 oz per gallon.
That was 4 years ago and honestly, there is no increase at all in repairs or other issues.
My engines seem very happy with it, carbon is extremely minimal and oil mess is also not
nearly as present as it was at 40 and 50-1. I know other oils are probably good but at DA,
I recently saw the effects of Amsoil 80-1. all 4 rings were stuck and a fair amount of carbon
on his DA 200. They get to see this stuff every day and since I'm not an oil expert, I think I
will back up DA's advice. 50-1 redline seems like an ok place to be. Cheers everyone.
super rookie is online now Find More Posts by super rookie
Old 11-21-2016, 09:58 AM
Find More Posts by antique
older than dirt,
United States, AZ, Williams
Joined Aug 2007
2,078 Posts
googlr r c bugman
Elson Shields at Cornell U ran oil tests years ago...A 3W 50 at WOT for about 6 hours
Interesting..
antique is offline Find More Posts by antique
Old 11-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Without going in to my 40+ years on performance snowmobiles, his latest sounded to me like he was just reinforcing my point - that there's little similarity between liquid and air cooled when it comes to oil requirements - beyond the fact they both need some.
Air cooled snowmobiles or liquid cooled. 40 years is a long time and quite honestly I don't see how it is relevent. Engines changed a lot in 40 year's and so did oil. I must say this is a useless post.

When it comes down to it, our hobby engines are one of the weakest out there. Their power levels are pathetic compared to any other engine in its size class. The only real issue we have is controlling heat. A good air-cooled oil is needed to maintain film strength under the higher heat levels. Even our general RPM levels are lower compared to many 2 strokes.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Last edited by jamesrxx951; 11-21-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Find More Posts by antique
older than dirt,
United States, AZ, Williams
Joined Aug 2007
2,078 Posts
Giant scale RC engines started with Klaus Nowak using Canadian (Trail MFG) chainsaw conversions..Quadra and Zenaoh (Green Machine chainsaw) started the whole thing...
Other than cylinder liners and maybe piston ring material, I see nothing else different, with the exception of lighter weight components...Walbro still makes the carbs, spark plugs still NGK or Champion. We now use electronic ignition for lighter weight...
antique is offline Find More Posts by antique
Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 AM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antique View Post
Giant scale RC engines started with Klaus Nowak using Canadian (Trail MFG) chainsaw conversions..Quadra and Zenaoh (Green Machine chainsaw) started the whole thing...
Other than cylinder liners and maybe piston ring material, I see nothing else different, with the exception of lighter weight components...Walbro still makes the carbs, spark plugs still NGK or Champion. We now use electronic ignition for lighter weight...
So basically the liners or lack thereof is different,piston rings are different and the whole engine is lighter due to different materials used, these engines are exactly the same as a chain saw engine?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Why is it when people have an opinion it is rock solid. A pic of a chain saw engine head was posted with the question, "Does it look like an r/c engine"? Of course not, there is nothing alike between utility engines and r/c engines.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:05 AM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Why is it when people have an opinion it is rock solid. A pic of a chain saw engine head was posted with the question, "Does it look like an r/c engine"? Of course not, there is nothing alike between utility engines and r/c engines.
You are kidding right?

Exhaust port? Check
Intake port? Check
Cooling fins? Check
Cylinder? Check
Bolts to a crank case? Check
Piston travels inside of it? Check

Yup nothing similar at all
Old 11-21-2016, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by AHicks
Joined May 2009
1,914 Posts
Continuing a conversation with a closed minded "expert" futile. I'm out.
AHicks is offline Find More Posts by AHicks
Old 11-21-2016, 11:16 AM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Continuing a conversation with a closed minded "expert" futile. I'm out.
Quite honestly you have not made any point at all. Let alone a conversation. You have brought up no points or anything. No no wonder you are out. Heck, you never even answered if your snowmobiles were air cooled or liquid cooled. Or if you ran them at 15:1 oil ratio
Old 11-21-2016, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by acerc
Joined Jul 2014
2,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Engines changed a lot in 40 year's and so did oil. Can't make up your mind huh. I thought you said, rings, sleeves, plugs, etc. they are the same. I must say this is a useless post. I for one agree!

When it comes down to it, our hobby engines are one of the weakest out there. Their power levels are pathetic compared to any other engine in its size class. There goes the comparing again,LOL!The only real issue we have is controlling heat. Called baffling. A good air-cooled oil is needed to maintain film strength under the higher heat levels. Called synthetic. Even our general RPM levels are lower compared to many 2 strokes. There's that comparing again......
Compare or not to compare, argue for argument sake. Like the other guy, I am done as well...
Old 11-21-2016, 11:54 AM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Compare or not to compare, argue for argument sake. Like the other guy, I am done as well...
Please point out where I said nothing has never changed. I suspect you will remain silent.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 AM
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
Air cooled snowmobiles or liquid cooled. 40 years is a long time and quite honestly I don't see how it is relevent. Engines changed a lot in 40 year's and so did oil. I must say this is a useless post.

When it comes down to it, our hobby engines are one of the weakest out there. Their power levels are pathetic compared to any other engine in its size class. The only real issue we have is controlling heat. A good air-cooled oil is needed to maintain film strength under the higher heat levels. Even our general RPM levels are lower compared to many 2 strokes.

Quote:
Just to make it easy for you. What i find hilarious is both of you two have never mentioned then15:1 oil ratio making the most powerful and this is what started this whole discussion that is getting your panties in a bunch.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by Brian Smith
United States, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Jan 2007
206 Posts
too funny!!!

What I find hilarious is this all started with me asking a simple question about what oil are you using and is it burning clean?. Then all you others decided to get involved and make a big fuss... Never ask a question about 2 cycle oil without expecting a big ego filled brawl. Brian

Quote:
Just to make it easy for you. What i find hilarious is both of you two have never mentioned then15:1 oil ratio making the most powerful and this is what started this whole discussion that is getting your panties in a bunch.
Brian Smith is offline Find More Posts by Brian Smith

Quick Reply