Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-17-2019, 05:59 AM
Find More Posts by jharkin
2 wings are better than 1
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
You where right, those servo brackets are plastic.. I hadn’t looked closely, just remember the manual mentions aluminum.

I see the bracket has a long side and a short side. My Futabas will fit on the short side with the long screwed to the plywood, which should clear fine. Honestly however the plastic pieces look rather weak and fiddly needing 8 screws and locknuts per servo. A couple basswood blocks epoxied to the plates might work better....
jharkin is offline Find More Posts by jharkin
Old 12-17-2019, 09:30 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Thinking this through, there is another solution if Pilot doesn't have better control horns.

The usual solution for an offset control horn is to offset the servo arm to match. I am not going to go buy offset horns but we can get pretty close by angling the arms at neutral.

I guesstimated some number in the servo calculator spreadsheet and it comes up with something like 5-10degrees forward angle on the servo arm at neutral to get equal throws, assuming everything else is square. I can take some measurements at home and refine this.

I may just do this, and since I am using sbus servos I can reprogram the neutrals and not have to mess with subtrims and ATVs.

Last edited by jharkin; 12-17-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:40 PM
Find More Posts by scooby61
No Balsa Withstands my Wrath
United States, SC, Fort Mill
Joined Jan 2009
562 Posts
Heres what i ended up with works great.
scooby61 is offline Find More Posts by scooby61
Old 12-23-2019, 11:29 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
I'm working on doing something similar... I tried making those plastic angle brackets work but they just dont. the servo will only clear if you mount it on the short side, but if you try that there is not enough room to get a nut and blot on both servo screws.

The plastic brackets are a bit flimsy anyway (and having to use 32 nuts and bolts to mount 4 servos!!)... its a it more work but the hardwood blocks area better approach.

Just annoying so much of this kit needs reengineering.........
Old 12-23-2019, 11:57 AM
Joined Jan 2009
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post
I'm working on doing something similar... I tried making those plastic angle brackets work but they just dont. the servo will only clear if you mount it on the short side, but if you try that there is not enough room to get a nut and blot on both servo screws.

The plastic brackets are a bit flimsy anyway (and having to use 32 nuts and bolts to mount 4 servos!!)... its a it more work but the hardwood blocks area better approach.

Yep got my stabs mounted jad to elongate tje holes on 3 of the 4 didnt line up with the the blind nuts at all. And cut 5/8" off the rudder horns to clear the elevators.
Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2009
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharkin View Post

Yep got my stabs mounted jad to elongate tje holes on 3 of the 4 didnt line up with the the blind nuts at all. And cut 5/8" off the rudder horns to clear the elevators.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Aero_Joe79
Self Proclaimed AV Geek!
United States, MI, New Baltimore
Joined Sep 2019
40 Posts
Great thread... just started on mine!

Greetings everyone! I received my Pitts the first week of December and after a quick damage check (luckily no shipping damage) I put it away until this morning. Anyway, I just started on the build and will post my progress along with any questions I have as I go. I’m in no rush since I don’t have any electronics or engine yet although I plan on running a DA70.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
Aero_Joe79 is offline Find More Posts by Aero_Joe79
Old 12-24-2019, 02:48 PM
Self Proclaimed AV Geek!
Joined Sep 2019
40 Posts
Control Horn Issue

Hey everyone, so after reading through the thread I figured the first thing I would look at is how the control horns lineup with the hinge line on the elevator. Of course mine were off just like everyone else’s. What I decided to do was simply trim a portion of the balsa back about an 1/8 of an inch so the centerline of the control horn holes sits directly over the hinge line. There is a balsa seam under the covering (pointed out with the pencil) that, when putting the leading edge of the control horn on that line, places the rod holes directly over the hinge line. I used a laser to verify.
Old 12-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Excellent! ......
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 12-27-2019, 10:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
562 Posts
Has anyone done their flying wires onthe tail or throttle servo setups yet. I have concerns about the wire hardware. The bolts for the hardware on the vert stabolzer just thread into the hardware on the other side. Is it aconcern for these to come loose? Or should i get longer bolts and nylock nuts. Would also like to see some pics of throttle servo setups.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:08 PM
Self Proclaimed AV Geek!
Joined Sep 2019
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post
Has anyone done their flying wires onthe tail or throttle servo setups yet. I have concerns about the wire hardware. The bolts for the hardware on the vert stabolzer just thread into the hardware on the other side. Is it aconcern for these to come loose? Or should i get longer bolts and nylock nuts. Would also like to see some pics of throttle servo setups.

I just started on the tail feathers and I don’t see there being an issue with the way the flying wires attach. Since the threads on the bolt go all the way through both sides of the nylon hardware I’m comfortable with the connection. I suppose if you wanted to be overly cautious you could run a quarter inch larger bolt and put a Nylok not on the bottom but I truly don’t see a need for that.
Old 12-28-2019, 04:54 PM
Self Proclaimed AV Geek!
Joined Sep 2019
40 Posts
I just wrapped up the tail section with the exception of installing the rudder. A little advice for the first time flying wire guys, I highly suggest running a laser across your horizontal stabilizer and vertical stabilizer to make sure the wires haven’t pulled either out of place.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:00 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby61 View Post

I dont like any of the hardware they supplied- the plastic is fairly soft and the parts are way oversized for the scale of the aircraft..

.. however I think it will work just fine as is.

I am planning to replace all mine with metal DuBro harware, but that's just my anal building style.....
Last edited by jharkin; 12-31-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:02 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,347 Posts
Ok, not much building over holiday week, but we did have a lot of family fun and my 9 year old finally soloed!!!

He spends a lot of time now watching Jase videos and playing on the sim so I got him an upgrade for Christmas

Quick Reply