logo
Old 10-05-2018, 03:24 PM
Find More Posts by Colt
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2014
255 Posts
[/QUOTE]I'm doing several things with conditions like timers, idle up, rates, expo, flaps, crow, etc. For landing, I primarily get idle down and rates. You might think about that.[/QUOTE]

I am going to try things like that with conditions, but still trying to figure those out (my first radio with conditions). Learning about the group/single settings and trying to keep the different settings just on one condition.

Do you recommend that Malcolm Holt book on the 16SZ/18SZ? Sometimes I read the manual 5 times and still don't get it, haha!
Colt is offline Find More Posts by Colt
Last edited by Colt; 10-07-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-05-2018, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Malcolm's books are pretty good. They definitely do a better job than the manual in describing not only what something does, but what that means when programming.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 10-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Find More Posts by always flying
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
thats awesome! This is the kind of help i need too! - HA! and i'm just trying to figure out flapperons on my 18sz think im going to buy malcoms book....where to find it though?
always flying is offline Find More Posts by always flying
Old 10-07-2018, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by Colt
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2014
255 Posts
Here is a link to it on Amazon. Doesn't look like its available in print, just Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-18SZ-P...&keywords=16sz
Colt is offline Find More Posts by Colt
Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Here is a link to it on Amazon. Doesn't look like its available in print, just Kindle.

https://www.amazon.com/Futaba-18SZ-P...&keywords=16sz
Sweet just downloaded it! yup for kindle only but thats fine good reading and have tablet handy while programming!
Old 10-08-2018, 12:16 PM
Find More Posts by dldeuce
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying View Post
thats awesome! This is the kind of help i need too! - HA! and i'm just trying to figure out flapperons on my 18sz think im going to buy malcoms book....where to find it though?
Flapperon is the same thing as air brake on Futaba. Same function that gives you crow. Set an activation switch, add an offset to drop both ailerons, add an offset for elevator to match the pitch change with flaps, set a slide switch to add/subtract (fine tuning) both flaps and elevator, etc.
dldeuce is offline Find More Posts by dldeuce
Old 10-08-2018, 02:57 PM
Brow Beatin'....
Lethbridge,Ab
Joined Jan 2006
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldeuce View Post
Flapperon is the same thing as air brake on Futaba. Same function that gives you crow. Set an activation switch, add an offset to drop both ailerons, add an offset for elevator to match the pitch change with flaps, set a slide switch to add/subtract (fine tuning) both flaps and elevator, etc.
Wow! You really don’t know how terrible I am with these radios (slowly learning) all I want is the flaps to act as flaps (on a switch) and then flaps to function as ailerons too.....maybe I just need to mail you my radio lol
Old 10-09-2018, 06:52 PM
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
I assume you've got a 2 Ail wing type. Go to the airplane menu, then air brake. There's two pages for that menu. I've posted pictures earlier in this thread.

On page one, set the switch, upper left. Set the mode to manual ( ie you don't need auto with for example throttle control like with crow). You probably don't need a speed setting, ie they'll just pop down as compared to slowly lowering. You can set the speed if you want, 20 I think gives you 20% of the max rate. You probably don't need fine tuning, bottom right. You could set that to a slide switch if you wanted. Start with 10% flaps and then you can add more or less with a slide switch.

On page two, with two ailerons, you'll get two columns. You get an offset and fine tuning. You get the offset as soon as you flip the switch. Set it to 20. I don't remember if that is 20 points (ie like the 140 end point setting) or 20%. Make it small to start and eyeball it. Enable the switch, and as you add offset, check the +- direction to make sure the aileron drops. Start small, test it with altitude and near stall speed, and adjust it until you get what you want.

As I recall, my planes seem to pitch down with flapperon. You can add in an elevator offset, lower right to compensate. Start small and test it along with flaps until you get a nice elevator trim for landing.

Lets say you start with a 20 offset. The ailerons will both drop that small amount as soon as you flip the switch. If you want to add or subtract from that with a slide switch, set the fine tuning switch on page one, and then the amount of flaps you want to add and subtract in the fine tune setting on page two. Or you could start with a fixed amount of flaps and add fine tuning for the elevator trim adjustment. So you set flaps to let's say 20 and then you guess let's say 10 up for elevator trim. You test it, and it pitches down. When you land, you can look at that setting and it will tell you how much you added with the slide. Then you can just add that to the offset and get rid of the fine tuning. In that way you can use the fine tuning just to make it easier to do the trial and error for both flap amount and trim setting.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:00 PM
Joined Aug 2013
804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by always flying View Post
all I want is the flaps to act as flaps (on a switch) and then flaps to function as ailerons too.....maybe I just need to mail you my radio lol

Flip the switch, both ailerons drop, and both ailerons continue to function as ailerons. It's just at neutral, both ailerons are down a set amount ie offset. It will slow you down on landing, but I personally haven't assured myself on the effectiveness of it, stability, trim, effect on handling near stall, and just overall, I'm still not sure if it's worth it. I do use it occasionally when there's very little wind.

Quick Reply