logo
Old 08-03-2016, 06:38 AM
Find More Posts by allans
United States, NY, Westchester County
Joined Feb 2007
204 Posts
I have one as well. Take off rolls , must proceed slowly , watch for the leftward torque of he engine. You cannot take off quickly. Go slowly until the tail comes and Rudder is effective. Then a bit of up . You MIGHT be over compensating with rudder before the torque kicks in. Stiffer springs and some down may be a good thing.
allans is offline Find More Posts by allans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Find More Posts by tciranni
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Dec 2009
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tciranni View Post
Flew my Citabria for the first time yesterday. On take off roll the plane suddenly turned right 90 degrees. I think it is because the tail wheel springs are too weak. I plan to replace them with something much stiffer. Any one else having this problem.
I found what is likely my bigger problem here. I did not use the tires that came with the kit. I used Dubro low bounce wheels of the same diameter. I checked for clearance with the wheel pants while the plane was on a stand and all looked good. I neglected to check for clearance with the entire weight of the plane on the tires. The sidewalls are bulging and hitting the edge of the wheel pants. I made the wheel pant opening larger so hopefully that will solve the problem. A rookie mistake since this is my first giant scale gasser after flying glow for fifteen years. If it doesn't solve the problem I will use the tires that came with the plane as they are much harder.
tciranni is offline Find More Posts by tciranni
Old 08-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 crash@ a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,890 Posts
One more thing that may help is to put a little toe-in to the gear. I've had 2 smaller Decathlons: 66" .46 glow size, and a 79" Seagull 20cc gasser. Both benefited greatly from bending some toe-in into the gear--made takeoffs MUCH straighter
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 08-12-2016, 11:43 AM
Find More Posts by CARS II
Go fly a jet today
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2014
531 Posts
I posted some info on the low bounce tire on RCG.
CARS II is offline Find More Posts by CARS II
Old 08-13-2016, 09:04 AM
Find More Posts by allans
United States, NY, Westchester County
Joined Feb 2007
204 Posts
Citabria Retirement.

I am retiring my GP Citabria after about 100 flights . It is fine model , with some interesting flying characteristics. Example the nose drops when ever the rudder is used , thus making coordinated turns more complex than necessary. This is especially worrisome on landing and thus the presence of the flaps on the planes. At which point it becomes a bit of slow floater and very controlable.

My real reason for premature retirement is that it is slowly disassembling itself due to vibration. The basic reason is the first fuselage former ,upon which the motor box is mounted is not stiff enough. It flexes slightly and is also transmitting vibration back into the fuse. The vibration has open every joint in the former and is is breaking the longerons that are butted into it.

The more I repair these joint and cracks and stiffen them the further back the cracking occurs. It began by opening the joint between the motor box and former. I epoxied that joint tightly , but that didn't stop the former from flexing. It might have may it flex more. So now no energy is absorbed in that joint and it thus moved the distanced transmitted
further back into fuselage.

The problem is the material ( thin plywood) in the former is not stout or stiff enough.
I do not have the skill to replace it. I am not even sure I can remove it and not destroy it (Or the longerons butted into it), to able to use it as s templet. Even if if I could I am not sure I could make an accurate and stronger replacement part.

The engine in the Citbria is a DLE is a 30 cc with a balanced VESS prop and balanced spinner.

I also have a Hempel Cub with a VVRC 40 Twin in it. It is built like a tank and looks like it will last forever. My friend has one with a DA50 in it and a tuned pipe , He has had the same experienced with his.

Thought , ideas, comment suggestions are most welcome.
allans is offline Find More Posts by allans
Old 08-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Find More Posts by funboy
Denver
Joined Aug 2006
4,622 Posts
A buddy has one of these, and it's not what he had hoped for. It is very difficult to get on the ground without a bounce-fest, even for experienced pilots. He's tried different gear, wheels, tires, cg, etc... it's beautiful, but leaves something to be desired.
funboy is offline Find More Posts by funboy
Old 08-13-2016, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
United States, IL, Moline
Joined Oct 2008
2,059 Posts
It sure is beautiful, but I sold mine after many problems and quirks. I did get it right before selling it, but it left a bad taste in my mouth like most GP planes I've had. They need to update their building and materials to the quality that we can get it almost every other brand
nappyroots2182 is offline Find More Posts by nappyroots2182
Old 10-01-2016, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by Powered By OS
United States, MI, Niles
Joined Aug 2014
7 Posts
Lots of complaints about the wing struts, is the wing strong enough to fly without them? I am in the finishing point of my assembly, just need to mount rx and battery. Using a PTE 36 engine. My complaints so far are the wing mounting bolts don't line up, even a little bit. My plane had a fuselage former broken at the factory and when the covering was tightened, it pulled too tightly for me to repair without removing covering.the factory tires are typical arf fare and will be replaced with robart wheels. My rudder required a fair amount of sanding for a correct fit to the top of the elevator. Tail flying wires are not functional.
Powered By OS is offline Find More Posts by Powered By OS
Old 10-25-2018, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by k8svrick
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2007
46 Posts
Has anyone used a DA35 in this Aircraft? If so, which muffler did you use? Thanks!
k8svrick is offline Find More Posts by k8svrick
Old 12-01-2019, 10:18 AM
Find More Posts by Depeche72
Joined Dec 2019
1 Posts
Hi.
I have installed DLE35RA plus EME autostart, everything fits perfectly.
Depeche72 is offline Find More Posts by Depeche72
Old 08-16-2020, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by yeager74
El grande Commedante
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
Got one of these on the way. First, and perhaps last, Great Planes build - time will tell.

I understand from reading through this thread that a couple of know issues are present:

1. Landing Gear. Landing Gear strut was defective and weak on production models prior to 15DEC2014. (After this date Great Plane kits had the proper strength gear in the kit).

2. Engine. Engine Firewall all the way down along fuel tank needs re-enforcement for Gasser installation.

Question.

1a. How do I know if the model kit that I've received is with the modified (stronger) landing gear strut or not (pre 15Dec2014)?

2. Anybody with the O.S. GT33 had to make any modification to the cowl or anything?

Thank you Gentlemen,
C.
yeager74 is offline Find More Posts by yeager74
Old 08-19-2020, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by rocket_33
Joined Jan 2012
274 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeager74 View Post
Got one of these on the way. First, and perhaps last, Great Planes build - time will tell.

I understand from reading through this thread that a couple of know issues are present:

1. Landing Gear. Landing Gear strut was defective and weak on production models prior to 15DEC2014. (After this date Great Plane kits had the proper strength gear in the kit).

2. Engine. Engine Firewall all the way down along fuel tank needs re-enforcement for Gasser installation.

Question.

1a. How do I know if the model kit that I've received is with the modified (stronger) landing gear strut or not (pre 15Dec2014)?

2. Anybody with the O.S. GT33 had to make any modification to the cowl or anything?

Thank you Gentlemen,
C.
I think you will still find the gear weak. I replaced mine with TNT and had it powdercoated.
My GT33 fits, been a while but I don't recall any major mods.
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old 09-19-2020, 12:54 PM
Find More Posts by yeager74
El grande Commedante
Portugal, Lisbon, Cascais
Joined Jul 2010
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33 View Post
I think you will still find the gear weak. I replaced mine with TNT and had it powdercoated.
My GT33 fits, been a while but I don't recall any major mods.
Thanks for your feedback. I've confirmed with the shop that the model I've received is with the "upgraded" landing gear. So, I'll give that a go - as it seems most flyers were happy enough with that.

I'll prob go with the GT33 as opposed to the GF30ii (2020 version) - since it will be helpful with a bit of extra power for aerobatics - though the GF30 would add nice scale sound and power characteristics. I also think the GT33 will fit better inside the engine cowling.
yeager74 is offline Find More Posts by yeager74
Old 06-12-2021, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by flyboywbl
United States, MN, Mahtomedi
Joined Nov 2020
21 Posts
so this is season 7 with mine. I have changed out everything except the motor and servos. I switched to FrSky redundancy bus's with two A123 batteries and a TechAero IBEC. I also run two receivers. I decided to try a Deamon Cortex gyro as well though it does not need it. Every year I try to fly this thing the engine gives me fits (DLE35RA) I'm kind of at my wits end with it. Im not sure I want to by a new motor for it, as mentioned above the airframe is not that great. It would of been better suited as electric. Though beefing up the firewall/motor box area with tristock has helped considerably.

Engine runs great until I take it into the air and then it starts to sputter and lose power. I've cut a large cooling hole in the bottom. I've put a heat shield between the carb and the muffler. I tried running a velocity stack from air inside the fuse. It ran horribly, so I took that off.

I don't know that i'll sell it as the Citabria is one of my favorite airplanes. I used to own a full sized 7GCBC and man what a hoot that was.

Right now my main aerobatic plane is the H9 Pitts S2B with EME 70 twin. What a great plane. I don't get out to the field often so when things don't work, it makes me mad. I get why guys have electric planes..

Kind of a rant, sorry. I do love the looks of this plane and I'm partial to it because it's my first giant scale plane and first gas powered model.

Happy flying!

-Matt
flyboywbl is offline Find More Posts by flyboywbl
Old 06-12-2021, 06:22 PM
Find More Posts by boothg-3
rhome , texas
Joined May 2008
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboywbl View Post
so this is season 7 with mine. I have changed out everything except the motor and servos. I switched to FrSky redundancy bus's with two A123 batteries and a TechAero IBEC. I also run two receivers. I decided to try a Deamon Cortex gyro as well though it does not need it. Every year I try to fly this thing the engine gives me fits (DLE35RA) I'm kind of at my wits end with it. Im not sure I want to by a new motor for it, as mentioned above the airframe is not that great. It would of been better suited as electric. Though beefing up the firewall/motor box area with tristock has helped considerably.

Engine runs great until I take it into the air and then it starts to sputter and lose power. I've cut a large cooling hole in the bottom. I've put a heat shield between the carb and the muffler. I tried running a velocity stack from air inside the fuse. It ran horribly, so I took that off.

I don't know that i'll sell it as the Citabria is one of my favorite airplanes. I used to own a full sized 7GCBC and man what a hoot that was.

Right now my main aerobatic plane is the H9 Pitts S2B with EME 70 twin. What a great plane. I don't get out to the field often so when things don't work, it makes me mad. I get why guys have electric planes..

Kind of a rant, sorry. I do love the looks of this plane and I'm partial to it because it's my first giant scale plane and first gas powered model.

Happy flying!

-Matt
solder a tube onto the vent hole in the pump cover and run a hose back inside the fuse
You have carb issues from turbulence
I still have one of the Citabria,new in the box I need to put it together this summer
boothg-3 is offline Find More Posts by boothg-3

Quick Reply