logo
Old 08-02-2017, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin Y
JTEC RADIOWAVE
Mooresville, NC
Joined Jan 2006
1,765 Posts
you do not tend to see a lot of gas engines in pattern planes for several reasons really. The weight, the limited amount of quiet canister or tuned pipe systems, and some airframes are not designed for the vibration.

Yes, with some airplanes you technically could put a gas engine in it, most likely the sequence is one of them due to how it is built. In pattern they have a weight limit of 5050 grams so you have to keep your airplane under that weight and also they do have noise restrictions (forget the db off the top of my head) so that can be an issue. Most local contests probably will not check those things but if you ever want to fly the nats then they are going to (or have potential to since they sometimes just randomly check). So the question is why would you want to spend the time and money on an airplane that you are limiting yourself and may not be able to compete with it everywhere.

If it were more feasible I would probably lean that way myself since I have a better knowledge of gas engines then I do of electrics and KV, amps, etc...
Kevin Y is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Y
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by Desertrat
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby505 View Post
B.J Craft Invitation
Great looking plane. The firewall setup does not look like it would be an easy install, but there was only one picture into the cowl. Have you seen anyone stuff a 30-35cc gasoline engine in it with a canister? If so, did it make weight?
Desertrat is offline Find More Posts by Desertrat
Old 08-02-2017, 09:47 AM
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Y View Post
you do not tend to see a lot of gas engines in pattern planes for several reasons really. The weight, the limited amount of quiet canister or tuned pipe systems, and some airframes are not designed for the vibration.

Yes, with some airplanes you technically could put a gas engine in it, most likely the sequence is one of them due to how it is built. In pattern they have a weight limit of 5050 grams so you have to keep your airplane under that weight and also they do have noise restrictions (forget the db off the top of my head) so that can be an issue.
96db at 3 meters on hard surface. 11lbs. My AJ 72" Laser with a DA 35 and a KS canister, mej 3 blade come in at 10.2lbs and 94db. It can be done, and if embraced, could be done well.

The problem is preponderance of pattern people prefer electric propulsion. To the best of my knowledge, there are no 2M aircraft designed exclusively for pattern that will properly accommodate a stand off mounted DLE/DA 35 with a wrap around header and a cannister. But, to be fair, these small gas engines that are capable of powering a pattern ship at an acceptable level for competition are relatively new on the market, and the pattern community very slow to embrace new propulsion options - with good reason, as it would require a great deal of time/money/effort to design, test and market with no guarantee of success.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by N233W
I Feel the Light and the Heat
NorCal, East Bay
Joined Feb 2009
453 Posts
Pretty sure Hyde mounts are available here:

http://www.ckaero.net/

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodders View Post
Hello again
Just to add that the soft mounts are pretty much essential with a YS.

My concern for anyone thinking of going YS is that looking at the Central Hobbies website, is that all of the Hyde Soft mounts are unavailable.

Unless you can buy them direct from Hyde that could be a real problem.
N233W is offline Find More Posts by N233W
Old 08-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by N233W
I Feel the Light and the Heat
NorCal, East Bay
Joined Feb 2009
453 Posts
Gas for Pattern has some strong & knowledgable fans. Unfortunately, the OP of the thread, below, passed away recently, but he has left a trail of info on the topic. This thread is a good start:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...e-pattern.html
N233W is offline Find More Posts by N233W
Old 08-02-2017, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Gettin better 1 [email protected] a time!
Cody WY
Joined Apr 2009
1,525 Posts
Aww, heck He was the exact guy I was thinking of when I read this thread this morning. I loosely followed his threads: he tried many different combos on the OS33 and pattern planes, as well as a light-weighted DLE55, as I recall.
wyo69cowboy is offline Find More Posts by wyo69cowboy
Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 PM
Boerne Texas
Joined Feb 2007
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by N233W View Post
Gas for Pattern has some strong & knowledgable fans. Unfortunately, the OP of the thread, below, passed away recently, but he has left a trail of info on the topic. This thread is a good start:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-p...e-pattern.html
That is a great thread. Sorry he passed.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,376 Posts
I thought i saw in the pattern rules that gas engines were not allowed!!
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo69cowboy View Post
Aww, heck He was the exact guy I was thinking of when I read this thread this morning. I loosely followed his threads: he tried many different combos on the OS33 and pattern planes, as well as a light-weighted DLE55, as I recall.
Agree, he was a great contributor to the pattern world. Sorry to hear he passed.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 11-26-2017, 02:06 PM
Find More Posts by Mfight43
This is supposed to be FUN!
United States, CO, Brighton
Joined Mar 2016
96 Posts
I see that Tower discontinued the Sequence now. So much for that idea...
Mfight43 is offline Find More Posts by Mfight43

Quick Reply