logo
Old 10-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Find More Posts by Maddux99
Planecraz3d
United States, KY, Benton
Joined Feb 2011
96 Posts
I've been following the engine temp threads closely as I have a DLE61 that has been running erratically and is getting hot according to the Spektrum head temp sensor through the TM1000 telemetry unit. I have the sensor mounted in the first flange at the top of the head just under the spark plug and on the back of the motor in the shadow of the prop. The engine is getting hot both in flight (cowl on and off, very little difference in the two), and on the ground. I'm seeing temps in the mid 300's and the engine starts idling high and rough at anything over 300. I haven't let it stay hot at all as I throttle down and let it cool then land. I have heard several mention the spark plug sensors and I can see the validity in those being more accurate.

I did some searching and found this http://www.trailtech.net/722-et1. I am not an engine guru by any means, but would this work to get an accurate temp indication on our motors? I know there is no telemetry with this unit, but I'm thinking I could use this as a back up to my telemetry to verify accuracy.
Maddux99 is offline Find More Posts by Maddux99
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-06-2014, 02:23 PM
Find More Posts by TimBle
Joined Dec 2010
4,971 Posts
270 -300 f is normal for an aircooled engine if measuring the temps anywhere around the top or 2nd cooling fin
TimBle is offline Find More Posts by TimBle
Old 10-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Flyncaps
United States, TN, Morris Chapel
Joined Sep 2006
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99 View Post
I've been following the engine temp threads closely as I have a DLE61 that has been running erratically and is getting hot according to the Spektrum head temp sensor through the TM1000 telemetry unit. I have the sensor mounted in the first flange at the top of the head just under the spark plug and on the back of the motor in the shadow of the prop. The engine is getting hot both in flight (cowl on and off, very little difference in the two), and on the ground. I'm seeing temps in the mid 300's and the engine starts idling high and rough at anything over 300. I haven't let it stay hot at all as I throttle down and let it cool then land. I have heard several mention the spark plug sensors and I can see the validity in those being more accurate.

I did some searching and found this http://www.trailtech.net/722-et1. I am not an engine guru by any means, but would this work to get an accurate temp indication on our motors? I know there is no telemetry with this unit, but I'm thinking I could use this as a back up to my telemetry to verify accuracy.
I have been using the trailtech temp monitors for a long time. I posted the link in another thread and was told that is the best way to keep check on engine temps. These engines run much warmer than most people think. I have two 157's and two 170's I have monitored with the temp sensors over a lot of flight time. The highest peaks I have had were almost 380f and the engine still was making good power and would idle down like it should. My engines are tuned correctly and I do baffle them for good airflow. I was told 400f under the spark plug is ok. At 450f you should do some better or different baffling or check the state of tune. My temps peak around 325f-340f most of the time and my engines seem to be happy and make good power. My information came from someone that knows his business! Remember that 300f on the side of the cylinder may be 500f under the spark plug!!!
Flyncaps is offline Find More Posts by Flyncaps
Old 10-06-2014, 08:23 PM
Planecraz3d
Joined Feb 2011
96 Posts
That makes total sense that it would be hotter under the plug. I was concerned about what the temps at the plug were while I was monitoring the cylinder side. I will order one, thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Find More Posts by Muttdog
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Feb 2013
2,758 Posts
The trail tech sensor is for a 10mm diameter plug.
Muttdog is offline Find More Posts by Muttdog
Old 10-07-2014, 07:10 AM
Joined Sep 2006
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttdog View Post
The trail tech sensor is for a 10mm diameter plug.
Check the web site, they offer different sizes and colors. http://www.trailtech.net/digital-gauges/tto/temperature
Old 10-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,758 Posts
Yes but 10mm is the smallest they offer. It's the right idea but we need it sized for CM-6 and calibrated for the popular telemetry modules so temps can be read real time in flight
Old 10-07-2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2006
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttdog View Post
Yes but 10mm is the smallest they offer. It's the right idea but we need it sized for CM-6 and calibrated for the popular telemetry modules so temps can be read real time in flight

The 10mm is what fits the CM6 plug. mine have preformed very well. I have JR and Futaba radios with telemetry and the traitech temp monitors are more reliable because of the way they mount under the plug. I agree that the telemetry sensors from the radio manufacturers should use the under the spark plug mounting. Either way is fine, just choose a method and understand how it works!!! Simple enough.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Planecraz3d
Joined Feb 2011
96 Posts
Flyncaps, are you saying that the trail tech sensor works with a spektrum telemetry module? I don't think you are, just checking as it would be great if it did.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2006
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddux99 View Post
Flyncaps, are you saying that the trail tech sensor works with a spektrum telemetry module? I don't think you are, just checking as it would be great if it did.
No, I was saying that I would like to see the radio manufacturers make theirs work like the trailtech one's do, sensor mounting under the spark plug. Maybe someone that knows how this stuff works will read this and tell us how to make it work.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Planecraz3d
Joined Feb 2011
96 Posts
I was getting my hopes up, that maybe you knew a trick.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyncaps View Post
The 10mm is what fits the CM6 plug.
My mistake, thought it was 8mm. It would be interesting to check the resistance of that sensor and compare to the Spektrum (in my case). If they are close then perhaps the TT sensor can be wired up to the TM1000?

Quick Reply