logo
Old 10-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by fly4fun
Canada, AB, Beaumont
Joined Mar 2006
143 Posts
This is a huge loss to the aviation and airshow world. I cant even count how many times I saw Bob perform at airshows across Canada. He was larger than life, and just simply one of the best pilots the world has ever seen. Thanks for the memories

Daryll
fly4fun is offline Find More Posts by fly4fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-25-2016, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra nuts View Post
Bob was the nicest gentleman I've ever met. His generosity toward people and fellow aviators was unmatched. When I was a young teenager, I had the honor of meeting Bob at the National Air and Space museum in DC. He was giving a speech there at a evening gala. I attended with my father and his twin brother, my uncle ED, who knew Bob. Months later, while visiting my uncle in AZ, he drove me and my dad to the Evergreen facility. He had arranged for us to sit in a freshly restored B17 there, while they fired up the engines for the first time. We'll Bob was in the left seat for that engine test. It was the weekend of my birthday. I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. After the test, and feeling like the luckiest 14 year old in the world, Bob says to me, "we'll are you ready for your birthday present"?. I looked at my dad like what is he talking about. He just grinned. Bob put his arm around me and led me on a long walk around some buildings on the tarmac where we ended up at his yellow P-51. I had seen it perform at many air shows but never got to see it up close or touch it. Bob boosted me up on the wing then climbed up after, opened the canopy and said, get in the back on those pads. He straped me in the mini harness behind his seat then climbed in and fired it up. I remember smiling so much my face hurt. I couldn't believe I was sitting in a p-51, let alone Bob's for a engine run. Then we started to taxi around. Best day ever. Then we hit the runway and took off. Bob took me on a 20 minute flight all over southern AZ. After we landed he said I hope you liked your birthday present and shook my hand. That was honestly the best day of my life at that point in time. Today when I heard he passed, I shed a couple tears as I am now writing this, to hear that my friend Bob, who left the best aviation related impression on me, has passed. I loved that guy. My dad, who was a Pilot has also passed, but my uncle ED is still around. This is just one of my lucky flying experiences.
I know Bob and great people like him will rest in peace on that place in heaven reserved for people like him.
Like. Like. Like........ where's the like/ thanks button.
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 10-25-2016, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by dhal22
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Apr 2009
2,478 Posts
I will be doing a lot of Bob hoover you tubing again,
dhal22 is offline Find More Posts by dhal22
Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by Shaker
Doug Cronkhite
Joined Jan 2006
2,567 Posts
I was fortunate to meet Bob over 30 years ago when I was just 16.. He spoke to me as if we'd known each other my whole life. Not once did he ever make me feel like the kid just learning to fly.. He was as great a gentleman as he was a pilot, and he was one of the best to ever strap on an airplane.

RIP Col. Robert A. "Bob" Hoover. Blue Skies!
Shaker is offline Find More Posts by Shaker

Quick Reply