logo
Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Oct 2009
1,137 Posts
That's not an old pilot, he's the other kind.
CatalinaWOW is offline Find More Posts by CatalinaWOW
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by boggintuff
Sigh...really?
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Dec 2009
2,993 Posts
NO F'in way that is a student pilot....a student pilot in that situation wouldnt control the throttle the way this guy did.
Thats a seasoned pilot in that airplane
boggintuff is offline Find More Posts by boggintuff
Old 11-29-2012, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old Grouch
USA, WA, Lynden
Joined Dec 2010
1,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggintuff View Post
NO F'in way that is a student pilot....a student pilot in that situation wouldnt control the throttle the way this guy did.
Thats a seasoned pilot in that airplane
PSSST......it was a airshow
JohnBer is offline Find More Posts by JohnBer
Old 11-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Derswede
Old Geeze
Joined Oct 2012
3 Posts
Pro Pilot...notice how he stays in the aerobatic "box" during the maneuvers and his throttle control. Good pilot, SS Balls. I'd have to know a bird rather well to toss one around like that....and I'd be wearing a 'chute to boot. The "drunk" pilot has been a staple at airshows in the South for years...some darn good pilots! One guy went up handcuffed to the airframe and flew the whole routine....made ya wonder what he was using to handle the controls....imagine he was quite popular with the ladies!!

Definitely some of those "Don't try these at home" moves!
Derswede
Derswede is offline Find More Posts by Derswede
Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Find More Posts by futile flight
stick banger
United States, FL, Plant City
Joined Jul 2011
1,627 Posts
I think sleepy you can do that with the right beaver ....8 )
futile flight is offline Find More Posts by futile flight
Old 11-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Find More Posts by Mikeq
Darned Spoilsport
United States, AR, Maumelle
Joined Oct 2011
2,253 Posts
Yep throttle control was the give a way..no way that was a student..
Mikeq is offline Find More Posts by Mikeq
Old 11-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Joined Dec 2007
2,457 Posts
Thanks...enjoyed that!

FWIW I use to fly at the local county airport...One day while flying my models, a full scale pilot took off in his Piper Comanche, gained a bunch of altitude on climb out and then dived back at the runway... did an aileron roll right on the deck!!! Changed my perspective about my plastic and balsa models forever that day!!!!!
littlecrankshaft is offline Find More Posts by littlecrankshaft
Old 04-18-2014, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by beaverRX
Flyin' Around
Joined Apr 2014
1 Posts
I suspect this is Dennis Mayland (spelling?)

This seasoned pilot does a fantastic job of controlling. The beaver single and dual RX series were never designed for inverted flight (-3g sandbagging). I never saw flying like this when we were producing and maybe that is a good thing. The single place could be compared to a tight sports car -yet stable. Ailerons were a bit heavy, but the roll rate for that was good. This plane started a lot of pilots in flying. It had a safe take and landing speed and quality and with more power could take any windy weather.

FYI the specs of the Beaver RX single and dual place:

Design philosophy: Different looks, performance, safety, tough, longevity.

Outcome: For the most part all achieved especially with numerous patches and some very important improvements (most after I left company and over time by the company or rebuilders -such as Jim Thibideau and others)

Dihedral 2 deg.
Sweep 5 deg
Tail boom angle 8 deg -just enough to allow heavy take off rotation and avoids tail strikes on landing.
Elevated tail feathers 12" from boom tube to keep the tail clear in rough terrain as well as in cleaner air at stall angle of attack.
Negative incidence 2 deg +
Chord 60" at root and long tapering aileron creates a cheater wing taper effect
Alerons: 2:1 input ratio up to down and set down slightly to load them up and depen chord lightly -this probably also helped to never allow flutter as control linkages loosened up.
Airfoil: Inspired shape from Liebeck shape we moved the high point to around 40% and made and abrubt recurve. Did not go all out on Liebeck shape but wanted to enhance the slow speed and stall qualities.
Wing tips: Rounded toward upper profile to improve tip losses -smoothing out the air flow at tip and lowering vortices for speed flight.

Stall characteristic: Extremely stable. It takes coordinated inputs to get a wing to drop. This was mostly by design as well as the natural balance of the beaver was slightly nose heavy so the negative incidence had to be cranked up. We really cornered ourselves with the geometry to get the pilot further back, but it all worked out to our favor since putting on a bigger engine only improved the balance -so with less negative incidence the efficiency also went up.
Good stall due to many factors: Forward weight; swept wings add directional stability as well as broaden the center of balance point (but also contributed to too much weight forward); WING tips faired the air flow to upper surface to air flow separation decreased and the tips add effective dihedral (and side slip safety /a natural want to level in a slip); Twist.... thinking it was 1/4" over 54"
Landing with full back stick:
The plane could land with full back stick with engine on (did not test with off). I tested this alone then with a sand bag passenger. It created about a 1:2 glide ratio and would be very useful for forced landings in a small area. Alone the gear was bent a little with a passenger the gear would be entirely damaged -but much better than flying into trees or other.

Turn coordination: Easy. Mainly due to aileron differential adverse yaw was never an issue.

Rudder pressure: High, but workable. A balanced rudder was used once we put floats on to increase slip safety and add side area aft of aero center and it was excellent.

Slip: The beaver loves to slip and straightens out in about 1/4 second with inputs and also good recovery without correction input (let go of controls).

The Beaver was used to develop inflated Fullotus floats and the monohull float. On the 28 h.p. single place the monohull Fullotus could actually function quite well. (the Maxair single actually flew better with the monohull! including climb and eliminated side slip)
beaverRX is offline Find More Posts by beaverRX
Last edited by beaverRX; 04-18-2014 at 10:48 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 04-21-2014, 08:17 AM
Find More Posts by Team_Monkey
United States, OH, Litchfield
Joined Aug 2013
30 Posts
I've never seen a UL thrown around like that, that's damned amazing!
Thanks!
Team_Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Team_Monkey
Old 11-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Find More Posts by Mongrel
Happiness is LAX at V1
United States, LA, Springhill
Joined Sep 2010
192 Posts
Lucky he didn't loose the wings.

Dumbass
Mongrel is offline Find More Posts by Mongrel
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 AM
Find More Posts by nitrowing
vancouver
Joined Oct 2006
127 Posts
those struts did their job, he did keep the G's down as mentioned, throttle control was key here.
Anybody can fold that thing up, only skilled can make it dance and land it in one piece.
nitrowing is offline Find More Posts by nitrowing

Quick Reply