Old 02-14-2010, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by xtraflyr
United States, NJ, Chester Township
Joined Jan 2006
1,559 Posts
Re: EXTREME FLIGHT 88" EDGE 540T BUILD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcop View Post
I have my batteries mounted on each side of the tank, solid back plate on the Tru Turn spinner, DA 50 and ES Pipe, it balances there for the perfect mix of precision and 3D.

Lee
Thanks Lee, Mine should be fine how I have it set up since I'm using the same stuff as you !

Frank
xtraflyr is offline Find More Posts by xtraflyr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
I forgot to add that I have a 2700mah ignition battery mounted to the side of the motor box, I don't know why the planes would be so different as far as balancing goes. I'm running 8711's all around and two Spektrum 2000mah lipos for the rx.

Lee
It was so windy it was hard to get a good feel of the CG yesterday, but it felt to slightly be on the nose heavy side. This plane does have ~15oz of batteries next to the fuel tank.
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 02-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by GonePostal
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyclesrc View Post
Looking good. When are you shooting for the maiden?
THANK YOU .Maiden should be on TUES. weather permiting.
GonePostal is offline Find More Posts by GonePostal
Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
RC Enthusiast
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcyclesrc View Post
I would put the Ignition on the side at the front of the fuel tank and the RX's tied on the former next to the wingtube to do the initial check.
That's what I was going to tell him too. I wouldn't mount anything permanently until you get it all done. Then you can adjust the battery location. Engine box is too far forward for batt's with the stock exhaust.

Dave, for reference I have my EF Extra setup with a DLE-55 and stock exhaust. The ignition is strapped to the wing tube sleeve, the receiver battery is near the end of the tunnel. It balances near the aft end of the CG range but boy does it fly well there. At first I made some balsa rails to velcro the battery behind the receiver. The CG was too far forward. Now I still have those rails sitting there unused.

PS: After some discussions with Charles about having two velcro straps VS one on the receiver battery, I'm going to add another before I fly it again. Right now I have it velcroed on the bottom and that one strap. I'll add another strap when I install Richards trick A123 setup. I have three straps on the ignition battery.
JoeAirPort is offline Find More Posts by JoeAirPort
Last edited by JoeAirPort; 02-14-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 02-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by diamondave5
I fly in my head all day
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts

good reference, thanks, like i said at the end there i will just wait with all 3 batts until the end....if some people were telling me id need nose weight than i would have mounted ign bat on box while setting everything else up in that area to save time
diamondave5 is offline Find More Posts by diamondave5
Old 02-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondave5 View Post
good reference, thanks, like i said at the end there i will just wait with all 3 batts until the end....if some people were telling me id need nose weight than i would have mounted ign bat on box while setting everything else up in that area to save time
It all depends on how you set it up, if you use a pipe like the RE2 or 1060 you will need everything up front, Chris and I found that you end up with the batteries spmewhere in the area between the motor box and fuel tank with the ES pipe, and it's totally different with a stock or pitts style muffler. This is all with the DA 50, use another motor and it may be totally different. You've got the right idea waiting with the batteries, that's the best option.

Lee
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Old 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by GonePostal
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2007
2,807 Posts

Name: P2140021.jpg
Views: 319
Size: 42.3 KB
Description:

Name: P2140024.jpg
Views: 307
Size: 48.6 KB
Description:

Name: P2140022.jpg
Views: 289
Size: 51.5 KB
Description:

Name: P2140016.jpg
Views: 307
Size: 38.4 KB
Description:

Name: P2140027.jpg
Views: 377
Size: 72.3 KB
Description:
GonePostal is offline Find More Posts by GonePostal
Old 02-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by blackbeer
Joined Nov 2007
1,244 Posts

Now that looks nice........................

Tom
blackbeer is offline Find More Posts by blackbeer
Old 02-15-2010, 08:43 AM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts

Quote:
It all depends on how you set it up, if you use a pipe like the RE2 or 1060 you will need everything up front, Chris and I found that you end up with the batteries spmewhere in the area between the motor box and fuel tank with the ES pipe, and it's totally different with a stock or pitts style muffler. This is all with the DA 50, use another motor and it may be totally different. You've got the right idea waiting with the batteries, that's the best option.

Lee
my 95% plan is a dle55 and stock muffler, i was going to mount the ing batt just cause i have 2 rec batts to work with, but i will wait for all 3 so i dont have to go too far back in fuse with 2 rec batts if for some reason its nose heavy, ive done that before....having an ign batt on engine box and i end up cutting covering on the side of fuse deep in the back to mount rec batts, if i would have moved the ign batt back to gas tank or something i could have mounted rec batts easier not so far back....
Old 02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondave5 View Post
my 95% plan is a dle55 and stock muffler, i was going to mount the ing batt just cause i have 2 rec batts to work with, but i will wait for all 3 so i dont have to go too far back in fuse with 2 rec batts if for some reason its nose heavy, ive done that before....having an ign batt on engine box and i end up cutting covering on the side of fuse deep in the back to mount rec batts, if i would have moved the ign batt back to gas tank or something i could have mounted rec batts easier not so far back....
You won't have to worry about it coming out that nose heavy. I think I misunderstood what you were saying earlier. If you wanted to mount your Ign. battery on the motor box i'm sure it would balance fine. I was just saying you might not have to. If needed, you could easily mount the RX batteries on the Rudder Servo Structure and offset the difference of mounting the battery in the motor box. I was happy to see everything didn't have to be up in the front of the motor box with the pipe. I'll have 6oz less battery weight in mine so I should be able to keep my batteries where I can get to them and the plane still balance out good. It seems like it is going to balance similar to the extra. Do you know how much more the DLE weighs?
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Last edited by cjcyclesrc; 02-15-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:49 AM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts

depends on how you read the specs on the sites....da says 2.94lbs, 3.13 with standoffs....dle says 2lbs14ozs motor, i assume that is equivalant to the bare motor of da at 2.94, so they are pretty close i think, 14oz, thats about 7/8s of a pound or .82 or something like that in decimals, so the .94 in the da spec is close to that .82 in dle spec....i may have a brain fade going on but i think thats about right
Old 02-15-2010, 11:53 AM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts

figuring it out from tbm site the da is 2.94, x16ozs=47.04ozs...the dle is 46.02 according to them, so according to that the dle is 1.02 ozs lighter than the da, to me one ounce is close enough to say wether or not i can put a batt on the box to balance
Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

The DA-50 and DL/DLE 50/55 are the same bare weight. Who knows if DL/DLE has the plug in it or not for the published weight. That adds an ounce I thought. I'm sure I threw my DL-50 and DLE-55 on my digital postal scale at some point. If they were different than 3 pounds bare I would have remembered (I don't). The ZDZ 50NG is also the same, 3 pounds bare. The Area 51 is about 3-4 ounces heavier bare and the Brillelli 60 is a little more.

After saying all that, you're right Dave, it just doesn't matter for CG balance. Too little
Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 PM
I fly in my head all day
Joined May 2008
2,289 Posts

thanks, so like i said as far as balancing it would not make enough of a difference with the da or dle, but my question was already kind of answered anyway, im going to wait to do all 3 batts, not enough people have set it up yet with same parts to tell me "yes go ahead and mount batt on engine box and most likely your rec batts will be on tunnel around rudder area" or something to that affect
Old 02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
RC Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2006
8,340 Posts

I totally agree Dave. I'd be doing it the same way. Post some pic's of your progress if you can.

BTW, sounds like this bird is a bit lighter than the Yak and Extra. You could easily be sub 17 pounds...maybe 16.5 since MXCOP is at 16.9 with ES pipe. The DLE muffler weighs only 3.4 ounces if I remember correctly. That Edge wll be a rocket. My Extra is ballistic at 17# 13 ounces.
Last edited by JoeAirPort; 02-15-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Quick Reply