logo
Old 09-18-2006, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by wizard
It will fly!!!
Washington, Indiana
Joined Jan 2006
13,374 Posts
Re: ACRO CHIMP,,PURPLE?

I have to agree watching Matt fly at Thistledown was one of the many highlights to the event. I was able to catch the flight on Saturday and Sunday. Amazing. For those that haven't had the pleasure to meet Matt, do so when you get the chance. He was at the field most of the time I was at the fly-in and even flew a donated plane in the foamy demolition event. Then he loaded up with the rest of us and headed downtown to the club and helped entertain the locals.

But, Matt I'm going to be looking for the knife edge spin sometime in the future. LOL
wizard is offline Find More Posts by wizard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts

Is it another 580 or did you go back to the 540?

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

Used to do a Knife Edge spin...stopped a couple years ago...not sure why...maybe I'll re-visit thagt one?
The new engine is also a Lycoming AE-IO-580. But, this one has been developed by Lycomings new "Scunk Works" Thunderbolt devision. My old IO-580 was rated at 320 hp at 2700 RPM. It was a certified engine for use on cetified aircraft. A few years ago Lycoming was invloved with developing a 580 for a Reno racer. THey did very well with it and it was aslo putting out 360 hp give or take a few. The new pres. of Lycoming thought they should see how that basic engine would work in the aerobatic line of planes. So, a year later the first two were built and deliverd. One to Michael Goulian for his new Extra 300-SHP and the other for me. Mine dynoed out at 357 HP at 2750 RPM. Lycoming had no objections to turning the engine up to 3000 RPM like the Reno engine does while racing. I limit mine to 2850 RPM.
Thunderbolt was developed to build custom engines for the experimental market to compete with outside engine builders like Ly-Con and Barrett. They offer a list of costum options with ignition, timing, spark plugs, cam, and yes, even color! I wanted yellow, but was advised against that as yellow might turn brownish with the heat of the engine. So, purple it was!
The HP of the engine is great, but the real difference is in the torque. This engine will not bogg down at all at slow airspeed. It will keep digging in at the top of vertical lines. I really noticed it with Torque rolls and the whole Harrier thing. Mono planes have never really been that great at TR's, but this engine has changed that. I will put the CAP's TR's up against anyones now. I can get two more vertical rolls out of the plane, hang longer, and accelerate much faster. You really notice the power on take off.
Thats about it in a nut shell for those of you that are interested.
one downfall....fuel flow went up about 2 gph in cruise and is now a whopping 32gph doing acro.

mc
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 09-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by why_fly_high
100% EDGE Builder
United States, OK, Edmond
Joined Jan 2006
1,477 Posts

Matt,

Thanks for the info. Are you running the Hartzell? I would imagine that Lycoming can balance an engine to turn more RPM but the limiting factor then becomes if the prop will hold together under huge loads at higher RPM. I hope to see you fly someday. I was thinking about going to Tulsa for the ACAP but you know better than anyone that that didn't happen.

Dan
why_fly_high is offline Find More Posts by why_fly_high
Old 09-18-2006, 03:38 PM
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

No it didn't!

Yes, running the Hartzell "claw". It's the carbon graphite blade. Ran the numbers by Hartzell and they were not worried at all about the rpm's or loads.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by dsnyder
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2006
88 Posts

Sounds awesome Matt! Hope to see you fly again soon!!!
dsnyder is offline Find More Posts by dsnyder
Old 09-18-2006, 07:34 PM
Find More Posts by SUPERFLYJAY
STONY POINT N.Y USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,205 Posts

THANKS GUYS !@!!! NOW I GOT A WOODIE !!! LOL
SUPERFLYJAY is offline Find More Posts by SUPERFLYJAY
Old 09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by madmax
The Michael Jordan of RC
United States, CA, Aliso Viejo
Joined Jan 2006
22,516 Posts

mmkay Mr. Chapman, I'll have a video posted shortly of your show at thistledown...
madmax is offline Find More Posts by madmax
Old 09-18-2006, 07:54 PM
Find More Posts by 50%plane
Suspended Account
North Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
21,384 Posts

Sweet Max!
50%plane is offline Find More Posts by 50%plane
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Fly RC II
Love RC!
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Jan 2006
140 Posts

Dream on Biffmeister, the only ride you're gonna get in that badass machine is the buzz you'll get smelling Acro's exhaust pipes after a successful 3-day performance.

:-)
Fly RC II is offline Find More Posts by Fly RC II
Old 09-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

OK Dave-O, you're now DEAD MEAT!! Anyone who posts even the posibility of Biffy getting a nose even CLOSE to any of Matty boys exhaust pipes is begging for a rainbow FG award. Tread lightly beotch!!
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Last edited by Biff; 09-23-2006 at 12:58 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Fly RC II
Love RC!
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Jan 2006
140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
OK Dave-O, you're now DEAD MEAT!! Anyone who posts even the posibility of Biffy getting a nose even CLOSE to any of Matty boys exhaust pipes is begging for a rainbow FG award. Tread lightly beotch!!
I don't think I write things like little huckeneer did. I must have hit a nurve a?

I'm here for you Biffy, and I'm not taken any sides just stating a factoid! Being on your bad side might have a change of pace - we'll see.
Fly RC II is offline Find More Posts by Fly RC II
Old 09-23-2006, 10:25 PM
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

I was wondering how long it would take for the word to get out about Biff sticking his nose up my exhaust pipe. Nobody noticed the black ring around his nose each day? I really started to get concerned when I saw the ring around his mouth....However, the CAP has been VERY happy of late!!!???!!! The CAP liked it...remember..it's French... O'la la Biff.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:28 PM
Find More Posts by Stainless Skills
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts

I saw a black ring around his tongue...

Oh wait, but that was from his John Deer!
Stainless Skills is offline Find More Posts by Stainless Skills
Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 PM
Find More Posts by Biff
South Carolina
Joined Jan 2006
3,223 Posts

WELL well well, seem's Mr. Chapman needs to be taken down a notch. I was going to let you off the hook. Get ready for the BIFF ZONE OF PAIN!!! Line up a two man akybatical plane and I'll show you what REAL flying is!! Biff helmet cam and everything. I hope for your sake Acro Chimp that blacking out isn't something you fear. Prepare for pain.

I'm like that Viper dude on Top Gun. I can teach you how to fly faster and harder than you ever thought possible. You're good now, but after Biff's school of pain, you'll be better. Remember Chimp, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
Biff is offline Find More Posts by Biff
Last edited by Biff; 09-23-2006 at 10:46 PM.

Quick Reply