logo
Old 07-13-2017, 01:49 AM
Find More Posts by ahash
Joined Mar 2010
34 Posts
Discussion
Epoxy Mixing

I have a continuous landing gear issue with my trainer, even the softest of landings and landing gear comes out, repaired many a times but i think i am not mixing the epoxy properly, pls guide or provide to link for proper epoxy mixing to fix landing gears issue.
ahash is offline Find More Posts by ahash
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-13-2017, 07:04 AM
Find More Posts by Ih82crash
Team Japaleno hard man brand
United States, UT, Syracuse
Joined Jan 2007
677 Posts
is the wood breaking or is the glue joint pulling apart? epoxy resin is mixed half and half with the hardener. maybe a silly question, but to you have bolts and nuts holding the gear on as well? epoxy wont hold the gear alone,
Ih82crash is offline Find More Posts by Ih82crash
Old 07-13-2017, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by Keith Cannon
Only Amateurs Measure First
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Apr 2016
1,389 Posts
ahash

Epoxies come in different mixing ratios. Most general purpose hobby epoxy is a 1:1. Even though it is not perfect I always use a scale to measure out my epoxy. (Excluding West Systems where I use their metering pumps).

If the epoxy is hard as a rock after a full cure then you are mixing it ok. If you notice it is hard and sticky then your ratios are a bit off and if it never hardens fully then your ratios are also off.

The most important thing is to build up structure with wood and tie it into other major structural elements. Glue alone will not hold your LG on (Unless you potted the entire undercarriage of the airplane).

My suggestion to you is to post some pictures and we can help you figure out how to tie into structural members correctly to achieve a light yet strong fix.
Keith Cannon is offline Find More Posts by Keith Cannon

Quick Reply