logo
View Poll Results: I know this it not an Extra or 50%er but thought it was cool.
Continue thread 26 100.00%
Nice plane but not a thread of Flying giants Interest. Needs to be 3D capable 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2019, 02:13 PM
Find More Posts by Billy J
Joined Sep 2012
79 Posts
I enjoyed every second of the Build also ! she flys awesome
Billy J is offline Find More Posts by Billy J
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by Tcrafty
United States, FL, Bartow
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Another flight on the Pitts!

The weather is starting to cool down a little bit, so I decided to take the Pitts back out. The issue with taking a big bi-plane to the field, is when you put it together, you actually BUILD and airplane! Lol.

Between answering questions and double-checking everything, i bet I had 45 minutes to an hour in getting this thing together.

After our club meeting, the skies cleared up and I fueled up. It was much better this time. Take off was less drama and I think the airframe remembered how to fly. I did a nice 9-10 minute flight and brought her in.

The G62 pulls it around nicely. I haven't tried any maneuvers, but it pulls it off the ground plenty good. As I get used to it more, I may loosen up a bit, but for now, it flies great. It was windy, so it didn't take long to go the length of the field downwind. As it rudder-turned into the wind, it was like the plane stopped in the air! LOL.

As the wheels touched down, the viewers back in the pits all began clapping. That felt good. We've got a great club!

Trying to work out some video, but scheduling has made it difficult so far. Planning to do it though! Til then, here's another pic.
Tcrafty is offline Find More Posts by Tcrafty
Old 11-09-2019, 07:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by acerc View Post
Great to hear another success story. Next time out try and get some video. Enjoy!
Finally got a friend out to the field with a video camera! Here's the requested vid. Hopefully, the other folks who were working on their Pitts' have made progress. Would LOVE to hear how theirs (including Invert's) is coming along!

Here's a link to the vid, but forgive the wonky take-off.
andy (5 min 1 sec)
Old 11-13-2019, 03:34 AM
Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Joined May 2008
72 Posts
Homesick Angel

Inspiring demonstration of your most excellent Pitts S2. I am very heartened to have seen yours fly so well as piloted and powered. You made it look easy.

Building a Sheber 33% S2A myself and have a new ZG62 set aside for it. Oil dampened with Stainless exhaust and custom intake. The extras should just help it balance. Being careful about the weight while building, I believe as you have illustrated, that a 62cc is an excellent option. You did a great scale flight routine. I don't care to see a scale model do anything it's full scale counterpart cannot perform.

Great work. Thanks again.
Model_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Model_Builder
Old 11-13-2019, 10:11 PM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
172 Posts
How does you G62 crank so easily......I have a new one I can only get to pop every now and then .....I was going to get a spring starter but I would prefer to hand crank like you do..... Whatís the Secret ?
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 11-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwantafly View Post
How does you G62 crank so easily......I have a new one I can only get to pop every now and then .....I was going to get a spring starter but I would prefer to hand crank like you do..... Whatís the Secret ?
Hi Justwantafly,

like you, I was struggling to get my G62s running. We even made a starter out of an automobile starter to wheel them over. I'm relatively new to gassers, mostly run glow fuel engines from .15 to ST 3250s, but I think I did find a few things out along the way.

We've rebuilt the carbs in both of my G62s, and I noted that when I put a straight edge along the carb base to adjust the fuel flow needle valve, the arm would depress a little before it would start to lift the arm. I bent the arm so that the needle is seated when the arm is level with the carb face, but if you move it any more, it'll lift the needle. Basically, I took out all the "slack" in the arm before it lifts the needle.
My reason for doing this, is I felt that at low rpm, the diaphragm wasn't pushing enough to open the needle valve to continue giving the engine enough fuel. The lower impulses through the port didn't transfer enough movement to the needle. Removing the slack makes the needle more responsive.

The other thing I found out was that the engine started better when I richened up the low end needle (the one closest to the engine). I turned it out to where it starts fine and idles forever without loading up.

Between adjusting the arm and richening the idle screw, I can now see fuel being drawn into the carb just by running the prop back and forth between the compression areas. And, with the choke and a couple of flips, the engine pops off. Turn the choke off and a few more flips and it's running- usually! Lol.....

Hope this helps!
Old 11-14-2019, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Joined Jan 2018
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrafty View Post
Hi Justwantafly,

like you, I was struggling to get my G62s running. We even made a starter out of an automobile starter to wheel them over. I'm relatively new to gassers, mostly run glow fuel engines from .15 to ST 3250s, but I think I did find a few things out along the way.

We've rebuilt the carbs in both of my G62s, and I noted that when I put a straight edge along the carb base to adjust the fuel flow needle valve, the arm would depress a little before it would start to lift the arm. I bent the arm so that the needle is seated when the arm is level with the carb face, but if you move it any more, it'll lift the needle. Basically, I took out all the "slack" in the arm before it lifts the needle.
My reason for doing this, is I felt that at low rpm, the diaphragm wasn't pushing enough to open the needle valve to continue giving the engine enough fuel. The lower impulses through the port didn't transfer enough movement to the needle. Removing the slack makes the needle more responsive.

The other thing I found out was that the engine started better when I richened up the low end needle (the one closest to the engine). I turned it out to where it starts fine and idles forever without loading up.

Between adjusting the arm and richening the idle screw, I can now see fuel being drawn into the carb just by running the prop back and forth between the compression areas. And, with the choke and a couple of flips, the engine pops off. Turn the choke off and a few more flips and it's running- usually! Lol.....

Hope this helps!
Thanks much for the info I will give it a try .....
Justwantafly is offline Find More Posts by Justwantafly
Old 12-14-2019, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by sherwood
Osceola, WI
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
In Post #125, I told the story of my Sheber Pitts S2, but haven't done any follow up regarding progress. That really bugs me when guys do that and I did the same thing!
My Pitts has slowly come together. A number of other smaller less complicated models have been completed and flown in the meantime. My biggest hold up was installing the ignition and smoke systems, smoke and gas tanks and the related plumbing, It might be a big airplane, but there is still only so much room to work and position equipment. The good news is that all of that work is now done.
The engine I installed is a DLE 111 with a 27-10 prop. The previous engine 40 years ago was the converted 80cc chain saw engine with a 24-10 prop. I wanted more performance than I remembered from before so therefore the bigger engine. Now I am wondering - what was I thinking? It used to weigh 37+ pounds and now it is down to around 30 pounds. Static thrust is around 50 pounds. But then, I consider my Lanier Stinger 120 (designed for a four stroke 120) which has a Zenoah 62 pulling it around. With that, I have unlimited vertical. Throttling back turns it into a "normal" sport airplane. So it will be with the Pitts.
Before the winter weather set in this fall, I was able to fire up the DLE in the Pitts for the first time. I wanted to know what was going to shake loose so I would have time over the winter to change/fix the problem(s). All went well although the short run that occurred is not sufficient before it goes into the air. That run time will resume next spring.
In the mean time, I still have to paint the trim colors on the wheel pants. Luckily, the areas to be painted are small allowing the use of a brush, rather than involving masking paper and a spray gun to finish the job.
I enjoyed the video of Tcrafty's Pitts. It brought me back to the many successful flights I had with mine and has bolstered my confidence that everything will all turn out fine once the maiden flight jitters are conquered.
sherwood is offline Find More Posts by sherwood
Old 12-15-2019, 08:38 PM
Joined Jan 2008
18 Posts
"once the maiden flight jitters are conquered."

You are so right Sherwood!

For me, the Pitts and my Yak are the first LARGE airframes I've flown. I was slightly intimidated by their size. I still exert a lot of attention when I fly them, but the nervous twitchy thumbs has subsided.

It seems that this Pitts lends itself to a long-term project, as most folks here have been working on theirs for years. (me included). I'll be curious how everyone else describes how their Pitts flies with the various engines. Since this airframe was drawn up, engines have evolved so much, getting lighter and more powerful. Both benefit this airframe nicely. I wonder how the firewall will hold up with a 110?

Be sure to let us know, and thanks for the update!
Old 12-17-2019, 08:43 PM
Osceola, WI
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
DLE 111 mounted in Pitts

Attached is a picture of the DLE 111 installation. Lots of thinking and time went into setting things to where they are.
It's obvious that these giants turn into long term projects because of the complexity of the structure and installation of electronics and hardware. Where does one stop in making sure everything is in its right place and strong enough to withstand the forces placed upon them.
I am confident in my building and flying skills. What concerns me on the maiden is what I don't know that could raise its ugly head and bite me. If this were a Cox 049 rudder only that I built in a week, maiden flight jitters would be next to non-existent. Investing gobs of time and money in a giant scale raises the pucker factor considerably.
Old 12-17-2019, 09:17 PM
Find More Posts by acerc
United States, FL, Center Hill
Joined Jul 2014
2,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwood View Post
What concerns me on the maiden is what I don't know that could raise its ugly head and bite me. If this were a Cox 049 rudder only that I built in a week, maiden flight jitters would be next to non-existent. Investing gobs of time and money in a giant scale raises the pucker factor considerably.
Yea, but when it all goes well there is no feeling like it in the world!
acerc is offline Find More Posts by acerc
Old 01-03-2020, 11:24 AM
Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Joined Nov 2019
141 Posts
Exactly. And if youíre confident in building and flying, the maiden will likely be uneventful. In a world of foamies, and drones, donít ever question the time/money spent. Be proud of being a builder. Itís rare these days and should be recognized. And youíve got to spend your time / money on something. If not this, what? If thereís something else , go do that. But what youíre doing is no less important than anything else if itís what you want to do. Enjoy it. Your project is really looking good. I hope you finish it.

JAM
Motomazzo is online now Find More Posts by Motomazzo
Old 01-05-2020, 04:58 AM
Joined May 2008
72 Posts
Another Pitts

These Giant Pitts have been an iconic Show Plane since 1973?

At 111cc this is the largest displacement engine a Sheber 33% S2A has had as far as I have seen. There was a 3W106 powered Sheber S2 in MAN's "Pilot Projects maybe 17 years ago.

This example in photo was at a local show in '05. Quadra 35 for power as per the revision of original plan .

Another fellow brought a 33% Sheber S2A from Michigan. An older build. A Zenoah GT80 predecessor, the 74cc powered it at 38lbs. It flew circuits just fine. The next year it showed up at 24lbs. Flew much better at 24lbs. Even at 38lbs the model flew without any rigging other than stab wires. Those one piece wings can be strong. Andy had a Kiortz 1.25 installed after the FOX. Gas!

The original of Andy's maidened with a FOX .78 at 18 pounds. He said it flew scale like. Andy, and Joe Ziomek who between them made this plan available, $6.99 n' postage, wanted the new OS .80 MAX-H with rear intake but could not obtain one in time for an event. Toledo I think. The OS .80-H was the most powerful RC Air application unit at the time. I bought one that belonged to Bud Nosen. He frequently attended, long ago, northern Cdn meets coming from Wisconsin with his own brand of affordable giants.

The Dively 33% S2A , was one I picked up a long time ago. Then Sheber plans appeared. The Dively kit was handy for parts. They did beautiful canopies. Kit came with at least 4 canopy components. FG Spec's has windscreens and a single bubble for the 33% S2A and a 33% S1S Bubble like Byrons.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:17 PM
Osceola, WI
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
It's a shame winter has to interrupt our flying season. I am obviously not an all season flier.
The other day, I was doing a long day in my cozy warm shop working on my Jerry Bates Curtiss P36. Time and money are easily and gladly spent on this project. While building, I had visions of it barreling down the green grass runway for another fantastic flight and then flaps and gear down for a kiss on the face of mother earth as it touches its main gear and then drops the tail wheel on the landing. With the work done, I stepped outside to go to the house and was awakened to reality by bitter cold, a biting wind, snow covered ground, and the sun setting at around 4:30 in the afternoon. Oh, how I hate winter!
The Pitts is in hibernation hanging in my storage shed until the grass is green again. In the mean time, shop talk and building gets done.
I hope everyone's projects are moving along successfully.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:01 PM
Joined May 2008
72 Posts
Man, you are like Norman Rockwell if he had a Pitts. God Bless.

Quick Reply