logo
Old 03-17-2018, 12:18 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,896 Posts
I've been flying for about 40 years now. A LOT, way more than most casual modelers and I deal with about 10 or 12 new gas setups per year. You can see my latest on the cover of Model Aviation (the Waco)

I've had 0 failures of the type that take down the battery. Mechanical switches, electronic felgercarb like isolation boards etc are way more likely failure points than a properly handled battery.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-17-2018, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
11,643 Posts
The only fault that will take down both packs is a hard short, and like Mr. Hockey, in many years of flying all kinds of planes and helicopters I have never had that happen, nor seen it happen to anyone else. In flight. I have seen hard shorts on the ground, etc.
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 03-19-2018, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,063 Posts
In 30 years in the hobby, I've had one NiCd cell short out. That was a long time ago.
AFAIK, with lithium chemistry, an open cell is the likely failure mode, so 2 batteries and 2 switches in parallel is a good plan. Works for me
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Old 03-20-2018, 07:15 AM
Find More Posts by ml82232
United States, NE, Wahoo
Joined Oct 2013
173 Posts
After 30 years working on heavy equipment and heavy trucks (worse vibration and extreme environment ) with multiple (2-4) batteries hooked either series or parallel / I have seen batteries with total failure BUT usually only 1 battery.
The others will normally be good , Almost always the failure is traced to the CHARGING system
In my planes I run 2 batteries ( same chemistry and MAH rating) to 2 switches to 2 ports in the receiver which gives clean consistent power flow
Only failures so far have been 2 switches / separate airframes (caught in pre-flight) and 2 batteries which wouldn't accept a charge after about 50 to 60 charge cycles
ml82232 is offline Find More Posts by ml82232
Old 03-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
New Hampshire, USA
Joined Nov 2009
8,235 Posts
The dual battery Spektrum Powersafe receivers have been 100% reliable for me over 5 years. I monitor the battery voltages at the end of the day and they are always within 0.1V of each other.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old 03-20-2018, 09:41 AM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
9,896 Posts
Exactly, if you fly Spektrum there really isn't much more of a bullet proof setup
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey

Quick Reply