to remove ads between posts
Old 08-20-2020, 09:45 PM
Find More Posts by AKNick
1Corinthians 3:18
United States, AK, Juneau
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
7108 vs 7008

Just looking into these two receivers again.

R7008SB - FASSTest (12/18ch mode)

R7108SB - FassTest (12/18ch mode) OR FASST (Multi or 7ch Mode) - high gain antennas.

After some brief discussion here it seems that some have had brief signal losses over distance and roads and the higher gain antennas fixed that?

Otherwise.... unless you want to use multi mode FASST with analog servos using a R7108SB verses a R6208SB, just stick with the original R7008SB.

The R7008SB antenna orientation is a bit more forgiving than the R7108SB which is more directional.

Both manuals are verbatim when it comes to antenna orientation and the R7108SB says ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the new antennas.

It's too bad their marketing is terrible, I wish there was more information about the new antennas.
AKNick is offline Find More Posts by AKNick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2020, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
United States, CA, Ladera Ranch
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKNick View Post

Otherwise.... unless you want to use multi mode FASST with analog servos using a R7108SB verses a R6208SB, just stick with the original R7008SB.
You can use analog servos with both FASST and FASSTest. You just can't use high speed mode with analog servos
Judge is offline Find More Posts by Judge
Old 08-21-2020, 02:21 AM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
You can use analog servos with both FASST and FASSTest. You just can't use high speed mode with analog servos
Interesting, the 7008 manual says you cannot use analog with fasstest in 12ch mode.
To clarify you cannot use analog using FASST protocol in HS Mode.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:18 AM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
When 12ch FASSTest system is chosen in Tx, all channels on 7108 with FASSTest system enabled will be always in HS Mode. When any FASST system is chosen in Tx, you can set Normal and/or HS mode on 7108 when FASST system is enabled.
Hope it helps ...
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Old 08-21-2020, 10:16 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Interesting, the 7008 manual says you cannot use analog with fasstest in 12ch mode.
To clarify you cannot use analog using FASST protocol in HS Mode.
12-channel FASSTest is the FASSTest high speed mode. On FASST receivers many allow you to set a high speed mode. In either case you cannot use analog servos with high speed modes, either FASSTest or FASST.

You can use analog servos with 14/18 channel FASSTest and FASST Multi (RX set to normal mode).
Old 08-21-2020, 10:57 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Almost as clear a mud. LOL
So 12ch mode only is off limits to analog as it's always in HS mode....
So why can you...or what is the difference with using 14/18 channel Fasstest? Judge, are you saying that the 14/18 are not HS mode therefore you can use analog?
TIA
Old 08-22-2020, 12:07 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Almost as clear a mud. LOL
So 12ch mode only is off limits to analog as it's always in HS mode....
Yes

Quote:
So why can you...or what is the difference with using 14/18 channel Fasstest? Judge, are you saying that the 14/18 are not HS mode therefore you can use analog?
TIA
18 channel and 14 channel (on14SG) FASSTest are both normal modes and not high speed. You can use either analog or digital servos with them.

Only 12-Channel FASSTest is high speed.
Old 08-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Joined Feb 2014
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Yes

18 channel and 14 channel (on14SG) FASSTest are both normal modes and not high speed. You can use either analog or digital servos with them.

Only 12-Channel FASSTest is high speed.
Thanks for posting that chart! Super helpful as always Judge!
The chart also shows that you cannot use telemetry with 12ch mode. Interesting, nice to know these things.
Old 11-06-2020, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by SteveW
United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2006
2 Posts
How much current can the 7008SB handle ?
I want to use six HV Servos but dont want to use a powerbox
SteveW is offline Find More Posts by SteveW
Old 11-07-2020, 01:41 AM
Find More Posts by MomoBrut
What? Lower? OK!
Czech Republic
Joined Jan 2006
928 Posts
The internal bus will handle the current to all 6 HV servos, no problem. The problem is in how you will deliver the required current to the internal bus with standard servo connector. You will need at least 2 but better 3 servo connectors to be used from battery to receiver. The receiver has got pins for 9 servo connectors, I suggest 6+3 solution.
MomoBrut is offline Find More Posts by MomoBrut
Old 11-07-2020, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveW View Post
How much current can the 7008SB handle ?
I want to use six HV Servos but dont want to use a powerbox
Over the years I have spoken with Futaba service asking if they have ever seen a receiver that was damaged by too much current. So far, that has not arrived at service.

As long as you deliver the voltage to the RX it can handle the load. I know some favore large wires (greater than 20 ga) but I have had great results with 2 plugs with 20 ga wire from two packs. This spreads the load between the packs and eases the burden of the wiring.

At 8 volts and a 5 amp load (per pack, 10 amps total) you will see a 0.05 volt drop from the pack to the RX (assumes 6-inch wire from pack to RX. Most of use are not good enough to feel that difference
Old 12-23-2020, 03:31 PM
Find More Posts by Bladerunner
Bladerunner
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2020
15 Posts
Antenna Question:

I am using 2 x R7108SB Receivers in a full Carbon Fuselage, with a 3 mtr. wingspan, should I mount them on each side within the fuselage to enable me to take them outside through a grommet exit, should they be mounted to "stand off" or away from the fuselage if possible, should I also try to orientate same 90 Deg. last question this is obviously going to effect the length of the Antenna's - can you extend these, if so how and with what Wire etc.?, other thought is to use a pendant antenna?. thanks in advance on this one!.
John

Quote: The R7008SB antenna orientation is a bit more forgiving than the R7108SB which is more directional.
Bladerunner is offline Find More Posts by Bladerunner
Last edited by Bladerunner; 12-23-2020 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Quote and spelling
Old 12-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by Judge
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
12,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner View Post
Antenna Question:

I am using 2 x R7108SB Receivers in a full Carbon Fuselage, with a 3 mtr. wingspan, should I mount them on each side within the fuselage to enable me to take them outside through a grommet exit, should they be mounted to "stand off" or away from the fuselage if possible, should I also try to orientate same 90 Deg. last question this is obviously going to effect the length of the Antenna's - can you extend these, if so how and with what Wire etc.?, other thought is to use a pendant antenna?. thanks in advance on this one!.
John

Quote: The R7008SB antenna orientation is a bit more forgiving than the R7108SB which is more directional.
If the fuse is full carbon, then yes, mount the RXs so you can run the antennas outside the fuse. I like to use a vibration foam pad like Zeal to mount receivers. I just use velcro tape to hold the RX to the foam pad. You could build a small stand off to allow you to use a piece of velcro strap to keep the RX in place as well.

The antennas are a very small diameter coaxial cable and you cannot make them longer. You absolutely cannot solder anything onto them. Also, the only active part of the antenna is the exposed part that looks like bare wire.

Futaba does sell a longer 2.4 antenna, but be aware that the longer the antenna run the more signal it attenuates. On my all carbon gliders (wings and fuse) I have found all that is need is to get the antenna outside the fuse. You can use plastic tubes (Nyrod, etc.) to run them in. Just letting the loose antenna flop around outside in the breeze can damage the antenna and also can change the geometry as they get blown back.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:38 PM
Find More Posts by Cessna340
United States, NV, North Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2020
209 Posts
My 7008 has shown no problems, while being somewhat forgiving on placement. Why would I want to trade that reliability for a setup that requires precise placement to get the same or miniscule improvement in range? Sounds almost like they fixed a problem that wasn't a problem. I have a couple 7014s still in the box, but I'm pretty sure they will be as reliable as the 7008 has been. I'm usually all for the latest and greatest, but not sure on this.

I recently got back into flying and am replacing all my 72 gear with 2.4 and am learning.
Cessna340 is offline Find More Posts by Cessna340

Quick Reply