logo
Old 05-26-2020, 06:17 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
United States, FL, Odessa
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
If engine choice is still open, I would mock up the plane and determine by weight what engine to use. If you need a lighter engine go with GP 123 is the strongest of the 120 to 144cc engines. I own one GP 123, one DA 120 and a Turd-o 144, I will only buy GP engines going forward.
Engine options will be open until I build/assemble. I have several on hand that I could use, but still undecided...

I will not put the DJ144 in it, nor will I put the DLE 120 4cyl in it. That leaves me with either a GP123, DA120 or DLE130.

I have a DLE130 on hand, but would need to buy either a GP or DA if I went that route. Looking for a compelling reason to buy either.

I have headers and pro flows for either choice...

I could be different and put a DLA116 inline twin in there, I have one of those looking for a home!! The sound is awesome...

Hmmm....
GR8R8 is offline Find More Posts by GR8R8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8R8 View Post
Engine options will be open until I build/assemble. I have several on hand that I could use, but still undecided...

I will not put the DJ144 in it, nor will I put the DLE 120 4cyl in it. That leaves me with either a GP123, DA120 or DLE130.

I have a DLE130 on hand, but would need to buy either a GP or DA if I went that route. Looking for a compelling reason to buy either.

I have headers and pro flows for either choice...

I could be different and put a DLA116 inline twin in there, I have one of those looking for a home!! The sound is awesome...

Hmmm....
Would you ever swap engines, Ie fly one model for a few months then swap over the engine to another model?

Saves the outlay on lots of motors.
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 05-26-2020, 06:59 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Would you ever swap engines, Ie fly one model for a few months then swap over the engine to another model?

Saves the outlay on lots of motors.
I could, but that is a pain in the a$$. I missed a NIB DA 120 last week for $750, that was a steal and I would have bought that in a heartbeat.

I may go down the road with the DLE-130 and if I stumble on a GP or DA deal, then go down that road.

It seems tough to get a deal nowdays, I hate paying MSRP. When I look at value, the DLE seems to be the clear winner and the 130 has now set the bar relatively high (as per 3rd party reviews). But let me put it through its paces on the ARS 300 and I will determine what to put in the CARF.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:05 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8R8 View Post
I could, but that is a pain in the a$$. I missed a NIB DA 120 last week for $750, that was a steal and I would have bought that in a heartbeat.

I may go down the road with the DLE-130 and if I stumble on a GP or DA deal, then go down that road.

It seems tough to get a deal nowdays, I hate paying MSRP. When I look at value, the DLE seems to be the clear winner and the 130 has now set the bar relatively high (as per 3rd party reviews). But let me put it through its paces on the ARS 300 and I will determine what to put in the CARF.
This is the Idea i thought, might have 3-4 100cc models but only 2 engines and swap when i want a change, But this is my theory, i have not put it into practice yet lol just save on some outlay.

Yes im in the same boat, I like a great deal for something decent. Yeah deals are a bit few and far between but this may change in a few months hopefully
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Old 05-26-2020, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
I just came across this tread, I have actually just bought a Krill airplane, was that a bit of a mistake ? Just asking because i see allot have commented that they prefer comp arf.
Av8tor1 is offline Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Old 05-26-2020, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
I just came across this tread, I have actually just bought a Krill airplane, was that a bit of a mistake ? Just asking because i see allot have commented that they prefer comp arf.
I can't personally comment yet as I have no experience with either. What I can say is the following per 3rd hand:

The Krill will look awesome and possibly have a better initial look/finish. However, is several years they don't hold up as well. A 10 year old CARF will still look like a new plane.

Again, 3rd hand info, but from several sources.

I'm sure your Krill will be a wonderful airframe, now share some pics...
Old 05-27-2020, 10:48 PM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
It will be a while off but I should look once i have finished the Krill look at doing a Comp Arf. I realize they will be different aircraft and maybe not the same size, but be good to see the overall quality.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
both are fine aircraft I've owned 2 CARF 35% Edge and 40% 330LX , my new plane is amazing
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 05-28-2020, 07:03 PM
Find More Posts by Slipperymick3d
Joined Jun 2015
133 Posts
I have a few Comparf and krills .
Comparf 330lx , edge 540 35% with skin hinge ailerons
Krill ultimate and 40% 330lx

The edge is my every day plane with the skin hinge and the elevators bushed it is very easy maintenance wipe down at the end of day
Comp 330lx is the same with the new hinges there is no wear happening what so ever , tiny bit of maintenance around the internal linkages but other than that super simple
Krill 330lx been a good airframe picked it up cheap has had a couple of issues around the Aileron hinging that have taken some creativity to help maintain the outer hinge point , the biggest issue around the hinging is the lack of room between the hinge plates they have make them so tight there is no room for a plastic Bush like we use on the Comparf , the elevators are in need of bushing but there is no hope of getting bushes in there . The frame is about 4 years old so maybe it has been improved ?
Krill ultimate the elevators will be the same as above but at least the ailerons are skin hinged .

Overall both brands fly really well It’s more a long term type thing with maintenance .
a lot of the imac fliers hear are going back to woodies and renewing airframe every few years as they are being developed more than a compy

I think is Comparf can bring the new wing structure and servo mounted like the new MX they have built all the troubles with having to Bush hinge points goes away , the LX with the internal linkages is cool but the new MX type wing would be just as good
Slipperymick3d is offline Find More Posts by Slipperymick3d
Old 05-29-2020, 05:14 AM
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
I am not a expert by any means, even that I have been in the hobby now for close to 18 years it is a small time compared to some of you. I found that no model is perfect straight out of the box that has gone together perfectly with out some kind of modification how big or small. But as time goes on the models are improved to be hopefully a better quality and stronger and possibly lighter. I guess sometimes it comes down the the builder and how much they wish to be modified. I guess its like a car thing your either a Holden or Ford fan.
Old 07-01-2020, 10:57 PM
Find More Posts by GR8R8
Joined Apr 2019
1,239 Posts
I got impatient waiting for my Carf to arrive (although I'm being told next week) and bought a 35% Krill Extra SC I stumbled on here locally.

As I have been so impressed with the DLE130 in my ARS, I ordered another for both the Krill and Comp.

Here're a couple of pics of the Krill.

Quick Reply