logo
Old 12-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Find More Posts by Stainless Skills
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts
Extreme Flight E Yak vs Extra

I really want to get either the EF electric extra or yak but I can not decide.

In the video's both seem to fly pretty much the same.

I like the looks of the yak a little better than the extra's but I am not sure if it is worth it if it does not fly any better.

I like it how the yak is a little bigger too but is it worth spending the extra $110 on the yak.

Any one flown both?

Which one fly's better and is it necessary to use a 4s li-po on the yak to get it to fly at its best?

Any one have any pictures of the underside of the red white and blue yak?
Stainless Skills is offline Find More Posts by Stainless Skills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Diablo2006
www.freestyle-rc.co.uk
Norfolk - United Kingdom
Joined Jan 2006
231 Posts
Re: Extreme Flight E Yak vs Extra

I think you should go with the Yak. All the mistakes that were made in the extra(all be it not very many) have been fixed in the Yak, e.g. the elevator half joining system is now much simpler.

And- you can fly the Yak and a 3s pack, thus saving you the $110 as you dont need a BEC or a bigger battery paack etc.

Go for the yak

OR, wait a few more weeks for what Extremeflight are bringing out very soon, there are going to be some very cool planes ariving soon and ive heard that from the UK distributor that one of the new beasts is electric and the same size as the extra!!!
Diablo2006 is offline Find More Posts by Diablo2006
Old 12-17-2006, 02:10 PM
Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

I have the extra and am very happy with the way it flies. I unfortuatly have no time for it and decided to sell it. 250.00 less RX

Shawn
Shawn Berkheimer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Old 12-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts

Is it still for sale, can I buy it from you?
Old 12-17-2006, 02:44 PM
Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Rollin', Rollin', and Rollin'
Tigard,Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
2,432 Posts

I have the Extra 300, and I LOVE the way it fly's! I always wanted to fly the new yak 54, but havn't had a chance too. I'm pretty sure the yak 54 will roll A LOT better (axial). Also will be more giving in 3D flight.
TonyThomasian is offline Find More Posts by TonyThomasian
Old 12-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless Skills View Post
Is it still for sale, can I buy it from you?
Yes, it is still for sale. You can call me and we can work out the details.

Shawn

R/C Blimp Productions 408-728-1585
Shawn Berkheimer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Old 12-17-2006, 04:43 PM
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts

Well I could not help myself. After looking at the yak for an hour and thinking about the two I just decided to order the red white and blue yak with the larger motor and the 45 amp esc.

I still need to buy some servos and a battery and I was wondering about some things.

I know that the hs-65's are great but is there a better servo for the rudder or ailerons?

And even with the bigger Air Boss 45 Amp ESC and Torque 2814-820 500+ Watt motor do I need to get a 4S battery or will a 3s battery still give me super acceleration? What would be the best prop?

I have a triton charger that I have used for my li-ions on a 30%, will this charger be fine for a li-po? I think it will but will I need a cell balancer and what on earth does a cell balancer do?
Old 12-17-2006, 05:38 PM
Find More Posts by Jaybird
Jay Florida
Joined Jan 2006
3,713 Posts

The HS 65s are great. I had those in my EF Extra. Im no electric guru, but a TP 3 cell 2100 prolite gets pretty dang warm with the 300 watt power combo that comes with the Extra. I would think that the 500 watt setup would draw too much current.
And yes the Triton will work great!
Jaybird is offline Find More Posts by Jaybird
Old 12-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts

I think I will just get the 4 cell.

Will I have to re-program the esc for the higher voltage and what on earth does a BEC do? Do I need a BEC? I always thought that the esc had a regulator in it for the reciever that put out say, 6 volts. Or does the BEC do that?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by meyer52
pandora, oh
Joined Jul 2006
11 Posts

what kind of plane is the new electric going to be did you hear
meyer52 is offline Find More Posts by meyer52
Old 12-17-2006, 08:54 PM
Find More Posts by Wayne
Learn how to work Kid.
Bloomington, Il
Joined Jan 2006
7,405 Posts

You really should just get both. LOL.

If you have to pick just one, I'd get the Yak.
I love the Extra but the Yak just flies a little better because its bigger.

If you can swing the 4S set up do that. Insane power and with the prop / motor/ esc Chris recomends, you will never tax the set up. I can fly for 8 to 10 minutes and everything is just warm to the touch.

Heres mine.
Video
Wayne is offline Find More Posts by Wayne
Old 12-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Find More Posts by Freddy Warbird
She's a Bad Ass Sukhoi Pilot
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

Quote:
I think I will just get the 4 cell.

Will I have to re-program the esc for the higher voltage and what on earth does a BEC do? Do I need a BEC? I always thought that the esc had a regulator in it for the reciever that put out say, 6 volts. Or does the BEC do that?
If you go for the 4S setup, you'll need a separate BEC running the Airboss ESC. The Airboss 45 is a 3S ESC. Don't go any larger in prop than the recommended 12X6E runnig the Airboss. This controller was never really designed for a 4S battery, but it will work fine with a good 20C+ 4S battery, and a 12x6E.
Freddy Warbird is offline Find More Posts by Freddy Warbird
Old 12-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Find More Posts by bosshoss
Joined Feb 2006
712 Posts

I fly both. Off skis even.

You won't regret buying either. Read all the build threads and make your decision.

The Extra's batteries and battery choices are better. From TP2100 3cell to heavy 4400 3cell cheapies. And you can get away with making the Extra heavy for windy days. (ala 4400 cheapies). If you ever wanted to cut perfect straight lines with a little plane, this is the prescription. It is a chameleon of sorts, I have seen it in a lot of different trims. There is a lot of wing loading cushion to play with, and about 4 good motor choices to choose from, and fly with other stuff from other planes.

The Yak is the real performer, I bet it flies better than some of the 50cc Yaks offered in the last years. (I know so.). It is pretty darn close to the EF 87" and that is no easy trick. The TP2200 4s Xtremes rock. I flew the Yak on a 2500 Evo 3Cell and it is nice for scale-like aerobatics (no 3D), and park circuits. The only motor I have seen used is Chris' motor, and I could not even imagine a better choice.

I just wish i could keep the nice wheels spats on, our field with all the holes makes trash of them quickly. My Extra will be collecting dust while trying to tear the covering off of this one.

But Wayne has it right, buy both if you can. look for someone getting rid of an Extra because they bought the Yak. You won't regret it.
bosshoss is offline Find More Posts by bosshoss
Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Huntington Beach CA.
Joined Jan 2006
1,318 Posts

Quote:

I know that the hs-65's are great but is there a better servo for the rudder or ailerons?

And even with the bigger Air Boss 45 Amp ESC and Torque 2814-820 500+ Watt motor do I need to get a 4S battery or will a 3s battery still give me super acceleration? What would be the best prop?

I have a triton charger that I have used for my li-ions on a 30%, will this charger be fine for a li-po? I think it will but will I need a cell balancer and what on earth does a cell balancer do?
HS 65's are great little servos, you can't go wrong with those all the way around
Some people are running 3s TP 2200 Extreme batteries but most are running 4s. The props vary depending on the Kv of the motors and the battery used but generally from 12-6 to 14-7. This plane comes in at around 44ozs AUW and to get the power you need you'll be pushing a 3 cell battery pretty hard.
A cell balancer does just that, it balances each cell in the pack to within .002 volts of each other. Over time and usage, the voltage in one or more cells of a lipo battery will drift away from the other cells, especially if the battery is pushed to its limits. The more you charge/discharge that battery the more the voltage in that cell will degrade causing the other cells in the battery to work harder. At the least, the battery's life will be shortened and at the most the battery will catch fire. A balancer used when charging will monitor each cell and bleed off voltage of the other cells untill the low voltage cell catches up.
Uncle Brett is offline Find More Posts by Uncle Brett
Last edited by Uncle Brett; 12-17-2006 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 PM
Joined Jul 2006
817 Posts

When I take a look at all the ultimate combos that include everything for the airplane they all give you 4 hs-65 servos.

But when I looked at the instruction manuel it looks like the airplane needs 5, 2 on ailerons, 2 on the elevators and one on the rudder.

Is this not the case? How many servo's should I order.

Are there servo's that are cheaper than the hs-65 that still give good performance on the yak?

Quick Reply