logo
Old 12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Team Extreme/Team Horizon
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts
EXTREME FLIGHT 88" EDGE 540T BUILD

Here's another new release from Extreme Flight RC, the 50cc 88" Edge 540T. This plane comes in two schemes and whether you like flying precision, 3D or a little of both this plane is one heck of a performer. The 540T version has a two place canopy which allows for better knife edge performance when compared to the single seat version. As usual you get the normal Extreme Flight standards with this plane when it comes to the hardware package, everything is included, plus carbon tubes and tail wheel assembly along with a pilot, dash and canopy floor. Another normal feature with these planes is the built in pipe tunnel. The covering job on these planes is second to none, as well as the paint finish on the cowl and canopy. This plane has a larger wing tube which will allow you to fly even harder than you ever have with no worries.

I've already been lucky enough to get some stick time on the prototype so I already know what I'm looking forward to here, this plane is more locked in with precision flying than I expected it to be, then flip to high rates and it's a full out 3D monster. It flies very light, tumbles better than the Extra and Yak, and is more locked in with high alpha flight than any other 50cc plane I've flown to date. Ok, I'll stop talking and start posting some pictures. I'm not going to get too in depth with this build since this plane basically assembles just like the other 50cc E.F. planes. I'll post as many pictures as I can and if anyone has a question fire away. I hope to see others with these planes jumping in here and posting their pictures and information as well.

Here's a link to the website for more information regarding this plane:
http://www.extremeflightrc.com/

Specifications:Wingspan:88 inchesLength:85 inchesWing Area:1450 sq. in.Weight:17 - 18lbsPower:50cc - 58cc GasRadio:
Modern computer radio with channel mixing capability and 5 high torque servos (250+ oz. in.) on control surfaces, standard servo on throttle.
mxcop is offline Find More Posts by mxcop
Last edited by mxcop; 12-11-2009 at 12:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts
Re: EXTREME FLIGHT 88" EDGE 540T BUILD

Here are some pictures of everything out of the box, I'm gonna get started later on today and will post pictures as I go.

Here's what I'll be using in my plane: JR/DSM 12X
JR 8711's/JR 1.5" Arms Elev.-Ail./SWB 3.5" offset for rudder
JR/DSM R922 9 Channel Power Safe RX/soft switch
2 Spektrum 2 cell 2000mah Lipos unregulated
JR/DSM 2700mah nickle medal igniton battery/JR H.D.
charge switch
DA 50
25mm 11" drop flex header
ES Composite Tuned Pipe
Mejzlik 23-8
Tru Turn 4" spinner
Last edited by mxcop; 12-11-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by danielph
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Awesome! Been waiting a long time for this!
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Awesome! Been waiting a long time for this!
I got the plane yesterday morning and planned to start this yesterday but the internet service in my area went down, they just got it back up and runing about an hour ago. The plane looks great, every time I get another plane from Extreme Flight I'm more amazed, the quality seems to just keep getting better and better.

Lee
Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Yes, same here! They don't keep the same old quality (that is already the best), they take a step further every time! I sure hope to get my hands on the sticks of this baby sometime. The covering scheme is gorgeous and will definately grab attention!
Enjoy it buddy!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Btw, the construction is just a thing of beauty! Not that my Extra's isn't, but I love all those round trusses etc. Awesome job Chris!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Sep 2006
3,990 Posts

Subscribed
cjcyclesrc is offline Find More Posts by cjcyclesrc
Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Find More Posts by Jamonraz
Culiacán, Sinaloa, Mexico
Joined Jan 2006
96 Posts

finally good luck with this one, looks like another winner. and yes, quality from EF just gets better, my 2nd 110 yak had better hardware than the first.. super learning curve
Jamonraz is offline Find More Posts by Jamonraz
Old 12-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts

You have it done yet?
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 12-11-2009, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Ok I've managed to get some more work done, I've gone over all the covering which was perfect to begin with, but just wanted to make sure all the seams were sealed good. I've installed the composite control horns on all the surfaces. First I located all the precut horn slots on all surfaces. Next I inserted the composite horns into their base plates and trial fitted everything before mixing glue. You'll see that you have to slightly trim the horn base for the elevators so it fits flush with the bevel. Use the base plate as a guide and ouline it's shape with a marker, remove the horns and plate from each surface and cut the covering away from the inside of the line you made in order to expose the wood for when you glue the horns and plate in. Everything fit perfect so I lightly scuffed the horns with a sanding block, mixed up a batch of 30 epoxy and applied it to the slots as well as pushing it down into the slots using a piece on flat carbon. Put a thin layer of epoxy on the exposed wood around the slots along with the horns and base plate. Once you push the horns into the slots you can insert a bolt through the hole to make sure everything stays aligned while drying. The final step is to wipe away the excess epoxy with denatured alcohol. Here are a couple pictures of the horns installed, I would like to point out that the horn geometry is perfect as you can see in one of the pictures, the holes line up exactly over the hinge line, just another example of the attention to detail with these planes. For detailed installation pictures see the website and download the 88" Extra manual since the Edge manual is not complete yet.
Last edited by mxcop; 12-11-2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR289 View Post
You have it done yet?

Lol, lets just say I'm way behind on the thread, computer problems, it could be ready for tomorrow minus graphics, but the weather won't be very good for flying this weekend anyway.

Lee
Old 12-11-2009, 04:32 PM
Fly Extreme!
High Prairie, Washington
Joined Jul 2007
4,363 Posts

Looking good!
Old 12-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Find More Posts by mxcop
Tuckerton, N.J.
Joined Mar 2006
1,557 Posts

Now that the horns are all installed I've moved onto hinging. Chris recommends 30 minute epoxy which works great, and many others use gorilla glue as well. I personally like Pacer hinge glue, it's the fastest, cleanest and easiest method of hinging I've found yet. All you need is the bottle of hinge glue, a roll of paper towels and denatured alcohol, however the glue will also clean up with water. When you get everything out of the box you'll see that everything is hinged other than the rudder. Just make sure everything moves properly and the hinges all seat properly in both surfaces, trial fit the rudder and check this as well. Once you're sure everything fits and the surfaces move properly pull one surface off at a time. Use caution when removing the elevators since the root end has shorter hinges do to the stab tube. Make sure you remember this when glue the hinges and don't force a regular hinge into either one of the inboard hinge slots because it may result in damage and you won't be able to insert the stab tube into place. As I said this stuff is very easy and fast to work with, I had everything hinged and cleaned up within a half hour. Basically all I do is insert the glue tip into the predrilled hole on the surface, squeeze and slowly pull it out completely filling the hole with glue. Next I take the hinge and slowly insert in into the hole twisting it as I go to make sure it gets plenty glue on it. I stop with the hinge half way in and apply a thin bead of glue on the hinge itself, then twist it the rest of the way in until it is properly seated. It's very important to make sure the hinge pin is lined up properly with the hinge line, otherwise you make develop premature wear and have the risk of hinge failure. Once the hinge is in I pour a bit of denatured alcohol on a paper towel and wipe the excess glue away. I go right to the other surface, apply the glue the same way, put a bead of glue on the hinge as well. Once all the holes have glue in them I push the surface onto the hinges, make sure the hinge line gap is even and deflect the surface bevel to bevel several times to make sure there is no binding and the pins are lined up properly. The final step is wiping away the excess glue and once again, making one final check that everything moves properly and is lined up. If you decide to try the Pacer hinge glue I want to warn you that it does set up very fast, make sure you have everything in place and ready to go, especially when you attach the final surface since it takes extra time to fill each hole and coat the hinges. I've been using this glue for years and have never had a hinge loosen up or pull out. Here are a couple pictures of the process, you'll see you get more than enough deflection on the surfaces.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Our society is collapsing
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,711 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Looking good!