logo
Old 06-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,470 Posts
Discussion
Website Idea

I have been messing around making a new website that people could go to and get quick answers to recommended setups for each aircraft. Also have a rating section so people can rate and add their own comments to each aircraft. I was curious to know if this would be helpful to some people. The website will also contain videos, build logs, photos, competition news, and information about a new flying site I am working on.

It is going to take a while for the website to get up and running. But thought to share what I am doing.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Find More Posts by BR289
Pro Pit Biotch
United States, PA, Whitehall
Joined Jan 2006
4,073 Posts
BR289 is offline Find More Posts by BR289
Old 07-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Find More Posts by Alkaline
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Mar 2010
1,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukhoikid View Post
I have been messing around making a new website that people could go to and get quick answers to recommended setups for each aircraft. Also have a rating section so people can rate and add their own comments to each aircraft. I was curious to know if this would be helpful to some people. The website will also contain videos, build logs, photos, competition news, and information about a new flying site I am working on.

It is going to take a while for the website to get up and running. But thought to share what I am doing.
You should use wikipedia software to build your site so that you can have contributors add new articles and edit as needed. It will take some effort but wiki sites using wikimedia do really well because it allows people to add information as needed.

Granted there will be some trouble makers, but this is currently the best overall CMS for information sites.

Alternatives include dotnetnuke, site infinity (commercial), and joomala.

Stick with PHP to keep costs low, use .net if you plan on adding custom modifications as development in dotnet is considerably cheaper than php.
Alkaline is offline Find More Posts by Alkaline
Old 07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkaline View Post
You should use wikipedia software to build your site so that you can have contributors add new articles and edit as needed. It will take some effort but wiki sites using wikimedia do really well because it allows people to add information as needed.

Granted there will be some trouble makers, but this is currently the best overall CMS for information sites.

Alternatives include dotnetnuke, site infinity (commercial), and joomala.

Stick with PHP to keep costs low, use .net if you plan on adding custom modifications as development in dotnet is considerably cheaper than php.

Hmm. I already starting building the site. I might have to try another platform for the aircraft portion part. I will look into those that you mentioned! I am currently just adding my personal stuff now. (Field Information/personal bio, videos, photos, events) Thanks for the ideas!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
Spats is offline Find More Posts by Spats
Old 09-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,470 Posts
www.kgaviation.net

I have decided to use a Forum base website. I am still adding new sections to the forum, but if you check it out go to OMP, Extreme Flight, or Futaba portion and you will see what I am trying to do. This makes it easier to navigate. Every day I will add more sections to the forum.

Enjoy.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Find More Posts by Spats
Spats Invitational
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Sep 2012
1,932 Posts
Just a suggestion, I would think about changing the link people click on such as a pdf you have up under futaba to open in a new window. It's easier to go back and forth and no one leaves your site. I like the site
Spats is offline Find More Posts by Spats
Old 07-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,470 Posts
Here is a website I have been working on. It is still in the works but it is up and running for the most part.
www.rcmayhem.net

I have been adding new sections every week. It is much easier to navigate. Each airplane basically has it's own section. Also has a like button and you can leave status updates like Facebook. Plus has tapatalk

Quick Reply