logo
Old 02-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Re: Detailed "Triple Build" from Team Outlaw!

Think 821 servos are to be trusted in one??? Or something stronger, I see the manual refers to Hitec 5475s.
Picked mine up today.
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Find More Posts by RobertV
increasing thrust........
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR10044 View Post
Thanks Robertv. Does anyone sell the cans or do you have to make your own?
George
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lewis View Post
George
Also, I talked with Jerry L Smith last week, and he'll be selling pre-built units with or with out header for those wanting them. Im waiting on the info/ pics from him now, so I can include them in the build thread.
I just spoke with Jerry a few minutes ago and he confirmed once again that he'll have complete mufflers with headers like he flies available for sale for those who don't want to build there own. We'll post details here soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzlflyer View Post
Think 821 servos are to be trusted in one??? Or something stronger, I see the manual refers to Hitec 5475s.
Picked mine up today.
Hey Andy,

So you're jumping into the fun too. GREAT! NC is going to be buzzing with Outlaws!

I'd say 821's would be a little too weak for best performance in this application since you're going to ask for full elevon and rudder deflection at 125 mph often with this airplane. We personally use JR4721 and 2721 analog servos (which are around 120 oz-in torque @ 4.8V) or 8411 digital servos (155 oz-in @ 4.8V) while the 821's are only 72 oz-in at that voltage. I don't have any experience with Hitec servos, but I'd take Chris Hinson's suggestion on those.
RobertV is offline Find More Posts by RobertV
Last edited by RobertV; 02-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:35 PM
Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts

Thanks Robert, been waiting for a while, was trying to get plans but as Chris has done the work Ill go that way!!!, Glenn had 3 in.
821 and 5745 are about the same so Ill stay away from them, 8411s are not to heavy?
Panzlflyer is offline Find More Posts by Panzlflyer
Old 02-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Find More Posts by kjfaulk
Joined Sep 2007
0 Posts

Bought my Webra .32 today.....looks like it is on back order tell maybe the end of next week.
kjfaulk is offline Find More Posts by kjfaulk
Old 02-28-2008, 10:33 PM
Find More Posts by dg512055
Helis are OK too!
Union City, TN
Joined Aug 2007
40 Posts

Where can I find a header for a Webra 32? I have an Outlaw kit and will be setting it up soon.
dg512055 is offline Find More Posts by dg512055
Old 02-28-2008, 11:22 PM
Find More Posts by Larry Lewis
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2006
2,887 Posts

Best to go right to the source.

http://www.macspro.com/headers_side.asp

You'll need the 2340 Standard
Larry Lewis is offline Find More Posts by Larry Lewis
Old 02-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2006
2,887 Posts

OK folks. Robert and I took plenty of pictures tonight. We took several pics comparing a scratch built Outlaw to the ARF. Really didnt do a lot of building though. I did mount my rudder servo, fuel tank, and motor mount. I also set up the rudder using supplied hardware, but set it up slightly different from the manuals instruction. I'll explain it all in detail later.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 PM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2006
2,887 Posts

Might help if I posted the pics! Basically, I set theservo arm so that it crosses over the lower fin. The main reason I did this is to keep the push rod and linkage as close to the center line as I could. Also, you need to avoid having the rudder linkage or control horn cross the inboard side of the elevon. By letting the servo arm cross the lower fin, and adjusting the control horn clevis inward, you get plenty of travel with both the elevon, and rudder.
Last edited by Larry Lewis; 02-29-2008 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Find More Posts by CSpaced
Joined Jul 2006
4,903 Posts

Looking good Larry! When do you think you guys are going to test fly them?
CSpaced is offline Find More Posts by CSpaced
Old 02-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jan 2006
2,887 Posts

Should be this weekend CSpaced. We spent most of last nights build session shooting pictures, and discussing options. Although I've alwasy used several of my own techniques or modifications in building, and hardware set ups for the Outlaws, Ive chosen to go "right out of the box" with this one. Example, Ive always used the home made backplate for the motor, as designed by Jerry L Smith. For the first time, I'll be using a nylon motor mount (as supplied) for this one. I'll say this. It was a HECK of a lot faster!
Buddy,,,We're gonna run'm through the wringer!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody ever accused me a treating an Outlaw gentle! LOL
Last edited by Larry Lewis; 02-29-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

Like Larry said, he and I used a bunch of the time in his shop last night to document how well the Extreme Flight Outlaw ARF reproduces the original design of Jerry Smith. To do this, we directly compared my very well-worn version that Jerry built for me back in 2001. Wow! I've been flying that thing for 7 years...and very hard at that!

So before my war weary original gets retired to the wall, let's see how it's "brother" measures up. Pic 1 shows a planform comparison. We intentionally shifted the upper plane back to show the relative leading edge sweep. That and the planform were spot on.

This airplane has anhedral in the wing for laterally/directional stability enhancement. As you can see in pic 2, the ARF precisely matches this feature of the original.

Another thing that makes an Outlaw an Outlaw is the size of the control surfaces that provide its amazing maneuverability. Pics 3 and 4 show that the ARF elevons and rudder measure up just right.

The wing has some custom airfoils that allow the Outlaw to avoid tip stalling under the most extreme pulls. It's impossible to show this comparison directly but I can say that I personally designed these airfoils for Jerry and provided them to Chris for use on the ARF.

Pic 5 shows a comparison of the wing tip and, in general, the shape looks correct. But the ARF actually has some improvement here. The original had "flat plate tips" that could get broken and made perfect shrinking of the covering tough. The solid ARF tips help with both of these issues.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

A comparison of the engine mount area is given in pic 1 below. Note that the ARF has more open area to allow the utmost flexibility in powerplant choice. And I can say, first hand, that it's pretty tough to get to the engine mounts bolts on my original with the sheeting in the way.

My poor engine looks a bit dirty here. I pulled it off and gave it a good cleaning last night, too!

The radio equipment bay in the top of the wing is compared by showing the relative hatch sizes. The ARF hatch fit right on my old wing as seen in pic 2!

The elevon servos are attached to hatches in the bottom of each wing. Pics 3 and 4 show a comparison of the hatch and the mounts. I really like the interlocking, laser cut mount on the ARF. I once had a mounting block break loose on my original (which then crashed!) and had to put screws thought the hatch (pic 5) to avoid that thereafter. The ARF has a better structural arrangement, but make sure its bonded well.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:36 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

The structure of the Extreme Flight ARF Outlaw is very innovative and makes use of CAD and laser cutting technology. It's quite comparable in weight and certainly as strong as the original (Larry tried to break a prototype in the air!). So, our overall assessment of how well Jerry's design was reproduced results in a grade of "A". The "+" will be added only after we fly them!

Now that I'm done documenting all the details of the general ARF, it's finally time to get down to building it. Larry and Jay have certainly proven that this is essentially a one-night task. But I'm going to approach it more slowly so that I can tell you about things I see and give advice along the way. Besides, it takes me a few weeks to build a foamy!

It looks like Larry and Jay will have the first flight reports coming this weekend. And yes, we will "try" to get video for you. These things are hard to keep up with through a camera!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:44 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2006
7,139 Posts

Another Webra Engine Update:

It's been brought to my attention that the "North American Distributor" (their words) for Webra Engines is:

Swift Electronics
735 Park Blvd.S.,
Winnipeg, MB, R3P 1B7
CANADA
swift@mts.net
cswartz@mts.net

They apparently have both the .32 and the .36 in stock at $111.65 and $121.25, repsectively, plus $14 shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Find More Posts by bbagle1
Joined Feb 2008
33 Posts

I have read that this plane is inherently nose heavy, is there any way i could get it to balance with a 14 ounce motor on the front running a full tuned pipe? Heavier servos, batt, etc. Any help would be great.
bbagle1 is offline Find More Posts by bbagle1

Quick Reply