logo
Old 03-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,473 Posts
Spins

Well the other day I flew the Dalton 260 and tried to spin it. I notice most of the time I would hold full up elevator and the plane never seem to break. It would just harrier down. The plane is tail heavy I know. I pulled 45 inverted upline and the plane climb. Would this cause the plane not to break well? This weekend I plan to put weight in the front and see how much it would take then I will go through and start moving stuff more to the front if possible.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 03-13-2007, 10:07 AM
Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts
Re: Spins

Having the correct CG will help the break but some airplanes will still need to be cheated on the entry. After getting the CG correct try again but with this. As you slow add more elevator, try to get the nose up 15-20 degrees without gaining altitude. Just before the airplane starts to mush release the elevator and the nose will drop and appear as if the airplane has stalled. As the nose drops past level, give full rudder input to the direction you want to spin. After the tip stalls in that direction, come in with aileron and elevator.

Shawn
Shawn Berkheimer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Berkheimer
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Find More Posts by Edge 540
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2006
3,740 Posts

Since we're on the subject of spins.....
how do you figure wind correction into spins? Is there a way to do it? I have tried varying the throttle on the upwind section, but that mostly changes the spin attitude and does little to effect the overall heading.
Edge 540 is offline Find More Posts by Edge 540
Old 03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Drakien is my hero
Frederick, Maryland
Joined Aug 2006
1,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge 540 View Post
Since we're on the subject of spins.....
how do you figure wind correction into spins? Is there a way to do it? I have tried varying the throttle on the upwind section, but that mostly changes the spin attitude and does little to effect the overall heading.
Spins are not required to be wind corrected. The lines entering and exiting them are but a spin, by nature, is at the mercy of the prevailing wind.
JimC-MD is offline Find More Posts by JimC-MD
Old 03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by Edge 540
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Jan 2006
3,740 Posts

Thanks
Edge 540 is offline Find More Posts by Edge 540
Old 03-13-2007, 11:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC-MD View Post
Spins are not required to be wind corrected. The lines entering and exiting them are but a spin, by nature, is at the mercy of the prevailing wind.

While technically this is correct, if you do not keep heading on your spin entry you will get a deduction. i'm not saying it's right, just saying it's going to happen.

Shawn
Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts

Correct.......try to correct heading (by using rudder) to keep the plane wind corrected. As you spin...no need to worry about wind correction. Follow the straight line down after the spin and recover....wind correct here also.

Doesn't really matter what the score criteria is when the judges (at least in the SW) judge you on wind correction. Which isn't really that hard to do anyway
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by BobbyRichardson
Joined Jan 2006
119 Posts

Spins are not wind corrected...
BobbyRichardson is offline Find More Posts by BobbyRichardson
Old 03-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Team Futaba
Joined Jan 2006
11,473 Posts

Thanks for the info. Will work on it this weekend.
Sukhoikid is offline Find More Posts by Sukhoikid
Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Joined Jan 2006
642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRichardson View Post
Spins are not wind corrected...

Like I said earlier, spin entries have got to be wind corrected or you will get the deduction.

Take this senario for example, The winds are calm at ground level where the judges are. Up at 800 ft its blowing 20 mph and 45 degrees to the runway. Your airplane yaws 15 degrees into the wind before the break. You know that it was the wind that yawed the airplane but the judges have no way to detemine that so in their eyes you allowed the airplane to get away from you. You will get 1-1.5 point deduction.

Shawn
Old 03-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts

YUP!

or if its a helacious cross wind into your face.....no wind correction you'll end up over the deadline.

if in doubt....wind correct
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 03-14-2007, 01:03 AM
Find More Posts by Andy540T
Camarillo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn Berkheimer View Post
Like I said earlier, spin entries have got to be wind corrected or you will get the deduction.

Take this senario for example, The winds are calm at ground level where the judges are. Up at 800 ft its blowing 20 mph and 45 degrees to the runway. Your airplane yaws 15 degrees into the wind before the break. You know that it was the wind that yawed the airplane but the judges have no way to detemine that so in their eyes you allowed the airplane to get away from you. You will get 1-1.5 point deduction.

Shawn
Sorry to disagree and I hope not to start an argument, but it is not possible for a plane to yaw into the wind (weather vane). The wind will put equal pressure on the nose of the plane and on the tail. If the plane yaws, it is due to holding rudder. The wind correction is only used to maintain track angle which will cause the plane to yaw. Remember wind correction is only used to maintain tracking of the flight and the plane may rotate more or less in the spin than the aresti calls for. The downgrades are for failure to maintain correct heading and not exiting on the correct axis.
Andy540T is offline Find More Posts by Andy540T
Old 03-14-2007, 07:11 AM
Find More Posts by exeter_acres
tap....tap.tap... is this on?
Johns Creek, GA
Joined Jan 2006
8,641 Posts

Yes airplanes weather vane... big time...

and no it should NOT be a deduction as long as the track of the airplane remains the same....
exeter_acres is offline Find More Posts by exeter_acres
Old 03-14-2007, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by notorious_benny
IMAC wannabe!
Griffith, NSW, Australia
Joined Jan 2006
3,458 Posts

I suppose your canoe also 'weathervanes' in the current of a river and always causes the nose to point upstream?

The only time I notice my model weathervane in a crosswind is during the takeoff roll.
notorious_benny is offline Find More Posts by notorious_benny
Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 AM
Find More Posts by Andy540T
Camarillo, CA
Joined Jan 2006
534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious_benny View Post
I suppose your canoe also 'weathervanes' in the current of a river and always causes the nose to point upstream?

The only time I notice my model weathervane in a crosswind is during the takeoff roll.
Exactly. It takes friction to weather vane.
Andy540T is offline Find More Posts by Andy540T

Quick Reply