logo
Old 08-30-2007, 06:13 AM
Find More Posts by dhawks
Gettin' Lower!
Hampton, Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
90 Posts
Ion Cube 12v power supply

My Ion Cube works fine when powered from a 13.8v / 12A power supply. However, when connected to a deep cycle 12v battery, it will power up, but will not charge. Does the Cube require a 13.8v supply?

Dennis
dhawks is offline Find More Posts by dhawks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Find More Posts by OverTemp
No Matter
Joined Jan 2006
698 Posts
Re: Ion Cube 12v power supply

Are you trying to charge 3-cell packs?

I had the "problem". 3-cell packs charge up to 12.6V, so on a 12V power supply it needs a voltage booster. It has one, but it's only good for 500mA and it's split between 5 channels, so any one channel can only charge at 100mA if the power supply voltage is less than the battery voltage.

Kinda sucks, but I just use it on a 13.8V power supply. Really sucks if you don't have the computer screen to tell you it's charging PAINFULLY slow off a 12V supply.

This doesn't matter for 2-cell packs... it can charge them just fine at any rate on a 12V power supply.
OverTemp is offline Find More Posts by OverTemp
Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Hampton, Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
90 Posts

No 3 cell packs. Just the 2 cell, Fromeco 2600ma packs. Charger powered up, but would not charge. Hooked up to the power supply it works fine.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:25 AM
Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Hinckley Illinois
Joined Jan 2006
2,216 Posts

Hello dhawks,

I've hooked my Ion Cube up to a 12 V heavy duty tractor battery and charged 4 x 2S Fromeco Li Ion's (2 - 2400 and 2 - 2600) and a single 3S Li Ion and had absolutely no problem getting them all to charge at the same time.

Granted 2 out of the 4 2S batteries were only down around 8.1 V but the other 2 were at 7.8 V and the 3S was at 7.9 V.

"Luvin' the Cube"

Bill
Hinckley Bill is online now Find More Posts by Hinckley Bill
Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by toprudder
Hey y'all, watch THIS!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,536 Posts

What does the deep-cycle battery voltage measure when the Cube is connected? Could be you have a bad cell in the source battery.

Bob R.
toprudder is offline Find More Posts by toprudder
Old 08-30-2007, 01:08 PM
Gettin' Lower!
Hampton, Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
90 Posts

12 volts even. It doesn't drop, because it never starts to charge, so the only load is whatever it takes to power up the charger.

Dennis
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts

Fromeco has released a few versions of the Ion Cube charge cards. Some have different software that require higher voltage, such as that from a 12V power supply - actually rated at over 13v. Mike and the gang at Fromeco have reprogrammed the newest cards in consideration of those using modified computer power supplies typically rated at around 12.5 v. Most 12v batteries (like on boats and cars) are actually going to put out over 13V, if not closer to 14, at a full charge. I believe the idea behind the minimum voltage requirement has safety in mind - mostly for people, but property also (no fires - if specific conditions aren't met, the charger will not turn on). I beleive a 12v power supply (like your battery) that just reaches 12V will actually be below the minimum required voltage for the Ion cube to function. If the cube works on an AC/DC power supply, I am sure that is the case.
Flyinhigh is offline Find More Posts by Flyinhigh
Old 08-30-2007, 01:39 PM
Hey y'all, watch THIS!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,536 Posts

The only way a 12v lead-acid storage battery will have more than 13v is if it is being charged (or just taken off charge). The resting voltage of a fully charged battery is about 12.7, and will drop to less than 12v as it reaches a fully discharged state.

From what you describe, the Cube would not be useful to me if I want to charge from a 12v battery.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:45 PM
Find More Posts by sweetpea
If you can't HUCK it BLING IT!
United States, OH, Lebanon
Joined Jan 2006
11,141 Posts

Here's what I've found.......

I'm using an older 12V power supply (like 15 or 20amps).

I cannot charge more than one battery at a time. If I try to hook up 2 batteries, the second one will say its charging but the blue LED will blink every 5-10 seconds and the input voltage never goes above 0.0

As a side note my PS also won't let me run the cube and my triton at the same time....so maybe the PS is finally taking a crap???
sweetpea is offline Find More Posts by sweetpea
Old 08-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts

Sweetpea, I have to wonder if all your cards work well independently. If so, I would think it is your supply. If the blinking one will do this even if it is the only one charging, I think your card may have a blown fuse (on circuit board), and need to be warrantied by Fromeco.

Toprudder, I may be slightly misquoting information from Mike at Fromeco - he gives information in such detail and quickly on the phone ... I use a power supply so I may not be recalling the information that didn't really pertain to me very accurately. I have used a 12v battery to charge with my ion cube - as many as 4, 2 cell and 4 cell packs, but it doesn't work well on a 3 cell unless a power supply is used that exceed the max voltage of the pack of around 12.5.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by fastford
STL. MO
Joined Jan 2006
423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by toprudder View Post
The only way a 12v lead-acid storage battery will have more than 13v is if it is being charged (or just taken off charge). The resting voltage of a fully charged battery is about 12.7, and will drop to less than 12v as it reaches a fully discharged state.

From what you describe, the Cube would not be useful to me if I want to charge from a 12v battery.
There were some cards out that will not work correctly with a 12v battery all you have to do is contact Fromeco and they will be happy to send you a replacement. All the new cards are programed with new software that will allow you to charge off a 12v batt.
fastford is offline Find More Posts by fastford
Old 08-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by RickyD77
Quebec canada
Joined Aug 2006
106 Posts

what is the best power suply for this cube...
RickyD77 is offline Find More Posts by RickyD77
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Joined Jan 2006
571 Posts

I have seen one recommended several times made by Pyramid. I also know a few guys using one purchased from Radio Shack.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 AM
Gettin' Lower!
Hampton, Virginia
Joined Sep 2006
90 Posts

I have a Pyramid PS-14 power supply that works fine. The only way I have been able to charge at the field is by hooking up to my van battery with the engine running.

Dennis
Old 08-31-2007, 07:27 AM
Hey y'all, watch THIS!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Feb 2006
1,536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawks View Post
I have a Pyramid PS-14 power supply that works fine. The only way I have been able to charge at the field is by hooking up to my van battery with the engine running.
That follows what others have said, most alternators in cars will maintain 13.8v or better while it charges the battery.

Quick Reply