logo
Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Find More Posts by hillmanr2
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts
Re: indoor Imac extra 260 scratch

I am going to try to finish her off tonight and weigh it. I got 2 lighter servos. I am shooting for 5 oz with a 3 cell TP 480. I was not discouraged at all about making the wing wrong I just thought it was funny and good for a laugh, cause' if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at.
The wing on the plane is 100% correct.
hillmanr2 is offline Find More Posts by hillmanr2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-01-2006, 10:06 PM
Find More Posts by Matchless
GiantStyle Yapoleno Hucker!
Cordova, TN USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,329 Posts

Quote:
I was not discouraged at all about making the wing wrong I just thought it was funny and good for a laugh, cause' if you can't laugh at yourself who can you laugh at.
Can't say I've never done that......
Matchless is offline Find More Posts by Matchless
Old 12-01-2006, 10:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

RTF all up is 5.6 oz. Man the weight adds up fast. Still at the moment I am happy.
A friend of mine gave me 2 dragonfly 6 gram servos but I think one is dead out of the package. The other one is kind off sad. I will find out the hard tomorrow if there is zero wind.

On a side note I am very excited to fly this plane no matter how it turns out. I have only ever scratch built one plane before from plans but I gave it away to a very good friend who was moving away before it ever flew. I have done a few kits but I have never designed and built anything before. I know it is only a foamy, but I am very excited about it to see what will happen. Thanks so much Jeremy (I say your name on another post) for all your help so far. You are the man!

I will try to get some video
Russ
Old 12-01-2006, 11:35 PM
Cordova, TN USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,329 Posts

Quote:
. Thanks so much Jeremy (I saw your name on another post) for all your help so
I'm glad I could help. Now I just hope it results in a fun, good flying airplane!
Old 12-02-2006, 12:10 AM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2006
3,408 Posts

any pics of it done?
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Old 12-02-2006, 12:50 AM
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

I do have pics . I intentionally did the ailerons a little up because the last time I did a similar setup with them level the ended up down after a few flights. If they don't end up dropping after things get broken in I will fix them. I did make another error with the angle of the aileron control horns, they are slightly different. You can't see in the pics but I do have some excessive wire on the speed control to the battery and the motor. If every thing works with this design I will cut off the slack to save a few grams. The 6 gram servos both seem to be fine after some fiddling.
I am very excited to try it out!
Old 12-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Cordova, TN USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,329 Posts

Great looking model, especially for your 2nd scratch foamy! I can tell by lookin at it that you will have a great time with it!
Old 12-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

well I flew it this morning but it was a tiny bit windy. A tiny bit windy to this plane is like flying in a tornado. The wing was not stiff enough so I was forced to add a CF spar. It was to windy to bother talking any video.

It was hard to tell because of the breeze but I think there is some roll coupling but no pitch coupling with the rudder. Due to it's light weight it does very tight KE loops and cool climbing flat spins.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Cordova, TN USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,329 Posts

I kinda had a feeling the wing was going to be a bit soft.... Have a look at my Yak55 build thread and look at the geometry of the bracing of the wing on it. There are no spars in that wing..... and it is as rigid as I could have wanted.

Wait until you get some dead calm air before you worry about roll coupling. The breeze/wind masks whats really going on.

Great job. I bet it feels wonderful to get it in the air.

Oh yeah.. Where's the landing gear? : )
Old 12-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

The landing gear is above the battery in one of the above pics LOL

I don't use it for a couple of reasons the main one is I fly in my cul-de-sac and it looks like this:
Old 12-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Joined Jan 2006
828 Posts

I got about 5 flights throughout the day in front of my house. unfortunately my camera woman(wife) was out all day. It flys crazy light, so much so, that when I tried my 2 cel I wish I didn't invest in 4 3s 480's. This particular one probably wouldn't balance with a 480 2 cel. The next one I make will have a 1/2 inch longer nose. Suprisingly the 2 dragonfly 6gram servos I got are really good, but I wouldn't put them on something heavier.
The other thing I am impressed with is the 3m scotch tape hinges. This will be my new go to foamy tape.

I mixed a little opposite aileron to the rudder and she tracks like an arrow in KE. Due to the lightness I have to adjust my rudder/throttle a fair amount from the heavier shockflyers I am used to. I ended up in a hover more times than not trying to do square KE circles.

As far as the elev goes you should see the crazy tight waterfalls this thing will do LOL

On a 3s TP 480 I increased my flight time to 7 minutes on my TX timmer and I still had over 11.5v left after every flight, even with alot of hovering. This thing is crazy easy to hover, Makes me look like a pro.

Iam sure however I will find something I don't like to much but for now, I couldn't be happier with my first scratch designed foamy.

LIGHT IS RIGHT

Quick Reply