logo
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM
Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Joined Jan 2006
6 Posts
Re: Oshkosh Tragedy

This is why I don't go to OSH anymore. One year a flying acquaintance died when he wrecked his Glassair. A couple years later I was front and center for the Corsair vs. Bearcat fiasco. Caught that hold tragedy frame-by-frame. That was the last time I made the trip.

-Ben
Ben Diss is offline Find More Posts by Ben Diss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 08-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Find More Posts by Toro
Joined Jan 2006
2,431 Posts

Its a shame, and a tragedy that there is a consistancy in loss of life at the event. Looking at it from a 3rd person would say some safety issues need to be looked at and re-vamped. When you get that many different types of airplanes together there is bound to be different levels of experience, and one must know his own limits. I feel for the aviation community, and the families that have experienced this. I know from being a full scale pilot also, that it is SOOO easy to get distracted when you see something that is just plain bitchen, and a lapse of attention for even a second can spell disaster as in the case above.

thoughts to the family for their loss, but as they say "the show must go on"

T
Toro is offline Find More Posts by Toro
Old 08-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by teryn
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Jan 2006
274 Posts

it was an accident. you are never going to make it perfectly safe. There is about as much danger at Oshkosh as there is walking down the street. To think you are going to make it any safer is ridiculous. Sitting there putting more and more restrictions and rules on people is not the answer. People that go to Oshkosh know that they are at some slight risk (much less than driving a car) and need to accept that before going.
teryn is offline Find More Posts by teryn
Old 08-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Find More Posts by scotte
Bombers Rock the World
Wichita Falls, TX
Joined Jan 2006
66 Posts

I am very sorry to hear about such an unfortunate event. I am an aircraft maintainence instructor in the Air Force, and while I don't know much about airfield ops, I do know a think or two about flightline/taxiway safety. I work primairly on large aircraft (B-1B) and can say (from expierence) that you MUST stay AT LEAST 200 ft to the rear of an operating turbine engine. In the Air Force this is considered absolute, no matter if you are in a vehicle or not. I do not know what the following distance regulations are for civil aircraft, but would like to think that 200 ft would be a nice round number to shoot for.

On the other hand, how many other venues are there where soo many civil, and military aircraft are in such proximity to each other. I have never been to OSHKOSH, but from what I hear, there really isn't much "breathing room" to begin with. I agree completely with Mr. Chapman in that pilots are responsible for manuvering their aircraft, both in the air and on the ground, however I also agree that this is a very unfortunate accident. We could sit here and debate right and wrong, add or take away restrictions, but in the end it will always be the pilot's responsibility to have situational awareness. I really hate that this happened, it is never a good thing to have to learn from accidents like this, but lessons learned here WILL definately save lives in the future. Tragic would be the word to describe this.

SSgt Scott Eidson
scotte is offline Find More Posts by scotte
Old 08-02-2006, 07:22 PM
Find More Posts by Toro
Joined Jan 2006
2,431 Posts

Teryn,

HOW U Been ? ? ? I do believe that OSHKOSH is safe. I also believe that for every accident there is a chain of events that eventually link together and cause something to happen. I dont believe more rules is the answer.... I do believe though that examination of procedures, and perhaps re-structure of policy could be in order. We can what if, you should have, I would have, this subject until the cows come home... The bottom line is there are people a whole lot smarter than I who are definately going to be looking at, and examining all the events that lead up to this, and will eventually come to a conclusion that ultimately will make it just that much safer...

TERYN !!!! YOU BETTER BE ENTERING THE VID CONTEST.... I'll see you @ the shootout !!
Toro is offline Find More Posts by Toro
Old 08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by teryn
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Jan 2006
274 Posts

Quote:
TERYN !!!! YOU BETTER BE ENTERING THE VID CONTEST.... I'll see you @ the shootout !!
Toro, I'm doing well...I'm ready for the Shootout....I'll have time to hang out this year and have the electrics ready for the aftershow activities...Looking forward to it!
teryn is offline Find More Posts by teryn
Last edited by teryn; 08-02-2006 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:32 PM
Find More Posts by mrhp
arizona
Joined Jan 2006
120 Posts

dangerous?.........like the choke sw.? lol
mrhp is offline Find More Posts by mrhp
Old 08-03-2006, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by OverTemp
No Matter
Joined Jan 2006
698 Posts

Props are dangerous things... I'm a military pilot and I'm always spinning 4 x 13.5', 1,100 lbs props at 1,021 RPM... they'll do some serious damage. No offense to any Army guys on here, but one of our biggest worries is a grunt walking right through one (even though the bottoms are 6-6.5' off the ground, it has happened). We have to maintain strict control of the area around the aircraft to prevent tragedy.

That being said, one of our biggest dangers in an emergency is getting run over by the fire vehicles that come out to help us Just can't win.
OverTemp is offline Find More Posts by OverTemp
Old 08-03-2006, 02:59 AM
Find More Posts by Spocky
I Fly Pattern ~ WOT?
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
Joined May 2006
596 Posts

I have seen first hand a Extra 300 taxi into 'Air Marshalls' car at our local Avalon Airshow. One of the scariest things i have ever seen, the three blade prop simply peeled the roof off the car.
Amazing nobody was killed, simple lack of communication at a major Airshow complex.

Didnt seem to be the pilots fault, he cant see the first 50 metres in front of the plane and the 'Air Marshall' must have thought he could beat the plane across the taxiway.
Spocky is offline Find More Posts by Spocky

Quick Reply