logo
Old 09-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by SUPERFLYJAY
STONY POINT N.Y USA
Joined Jan 2006
1,205 Posts
Re: Hard To Believe This Is A Human Being Doing This!

GO MATT GO YOU TELLEM BOY !!!!
SUPERFLYJAY is offline Find More Posts by SUPERFLYJAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 PM
Find More Posts by Freddy Warbird
She's a Bad Ass Sukhoi Pilot
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

I know the vid is clipped/ edited, but I thought the executions of each manuever, demonstrated that this guy really knows his airplane and feels comfortable in it. From my perspective, its hard to believe that this 2005 aerobatic champion can remain awake pulling "G's", like that. There is one point in the vid, where it looks like he just stops the airplane from straight, and level flight, and then proceeds to cartwheel the thing. He does a few cartwheel manuevers in the vid, but there is one that just blows me away, not because of the fact he didn't pass out, but that -I- can't do that with my -RC- airplane. I have seen one other video of an Edge 540, out over the desert, perform stuff, one would think, only an RC airplane could do. But no, there is a pilot in the plane. I'm impressed.
Freddy Warbird is offline Find More Posts by Freddy Warbird
Old 09-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,455 Posts

Go Matt!! lol

People don't realize how much G forces affect you when you're actually in the plane. An airshow friend of mine told me most people can't take over 4 G's (unless it's just a quick burst) without passing out. I've done +5 and -2 in an Extra, and that about did me in.... The positive wasn't so bad, but the negative hurts like hell if you aren't used to it.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 09-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Find More Posts by Kiwi
Chile
Joined Jan 2006
5,983 Posts

Matt,

Well said mate. I like to look at it like this and it helps explain things to those that have not had the pleasure or the fear associated with it.

At zero G your lunch is looking to find a way out and usually via the way it arrived,
At -1 your lunch has found the way out and your spinkter muscles have no effect on holding it down
At -2 your sh!t scared to even open your mouth because either your lunch is going to stick on the canopy roof or your dentures will fall out if you lost lunch at the first pass.
At-3 your dead. Your head wants to leave your shoulders, your spinkter is trying ever so hard to stop you breathing in from the wrong end.

And all that happens just testing to see if your harness is adjusted properly.

Now lets go do some Aerobatics??

Please Mr Matt can we go back down please, I feel a bit sick!!!! BLAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

You ever seen where that puke ends up after someone spray paints your cockpit. It aint nice and its even worse to clean up.

Kiwi
Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Kiwi
Old 09-26-2006, 01:53 PM
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

I managed to record the "time laps" of the section I found very impressive in this vid. It's from 1:29/3:49 to 1:42/3:49. This is not a tumble, its a cartwheel! The pilot appears to be in pretty level flight, and then he just suddenly throws the Extra to the side, and proceeds into a cartwheel. "I like it!" I guess the editor found it cool as well because he, or she cut that same piece back in later in the vid.
Last edited by Freddy Warbird; 09-26-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Highlights
Drop it like it's hot
BC Canada
Joined Jan 2006
918 Posts

Hold on guys. If you look closely at this vid ( and great flying it is!) those are not kart-wheels. Look closely at the perspective . The plane is not travelling parallell with the ground. It is an optical illusion. The plane is in a descending flat spin which appears to be flat and level flight while executing kart wheels.
Highlights is offline Find More Posts by Highlights
Old 09-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

Highlight hit the nail on the heads with that one! You're looking up at that shot and it's and optical effect going on. That said, it's still pretty cool.
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 09-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Find More Posts by TimDavie
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jan 2006
1,183 Posts

didn't Greg Poe in his 540 do a pinwheel that emulates a cartwheel?
TimDavie is offline Find More Posts by TimDavie
Old 09-26-2006, 05:35 PM
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

Quote:
Highlights:The plane is in a descending flat spin which appears to be flat and level flight while executing kart wheels.
Good observation! I was thinking, how on earth can he do that? If I tried this with RC my plane, the wings would snap off.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:42 PM
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDavie
Is that on video?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:40 PM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDavie
Good question.
Yes, Greg does a "pinwheel" type maneuver. Wyane Handley used to do a thing he called the "Raven Wheel" Wayne being the super guy he is and all for the bizz was more that willing to teach his own tricks to others. He tought Greg this and Greg has turned it into his own thing. I was training with Bill Stein this past June and saw him do a cart wheel/pin wheel type figure. better than anything I have seen Greg do. I asked him about it and he too was willing to share his "secrets". I went up and tried it....on the 3rd attempt it let go and WOW...what a ride! The guys on the ground said it was as good as they have seen. Keep in mind though, as good as the pin wheel is that Bill and Greg do and even the one I did, it's still an optical illusion to some degree. Not only that, it was a good solid, instantaneous 6- G's. So, with the fact that wings have a tendancy to depart CAP 232's, i have shelved that maneuver until further notice.
As for how to do it: well....I'm not as nice as Wayne Handley! Figure it out yourselves!!!

Matt
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 09-26-2006, 07:36 PM
Find More Posts by Foamy Love
Finally a Giant pilot
Detroit
Joined Feb 2006
227 Posts

I had the joy of sustained 2g corners during auto races and that took its toll. I really have a LOT of respect for guys like Matt pulling well over that in a real aerobatic plane.

Some of the best full scale vids can be found here. www.redbullairraces.com

If you haven't seen one of these yet, you really have no idea what your missing.
Foamy Love is offline Find More Posts by Foamy Love
Old 09-26-2006, 08:29 PM
Find More Posts by TimDavie
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jan 2006
1,183 Posts

The red bull stuff rocks and Besenyei seems to be sandbagging when the others win. That's just my opinion from watching him yank and bank. Probably not the case, just an opinion. Matt, what happened to ACAP? Was looking forward to seeing you and others on that tour.
TimDavie is offline Find More Posts by TimDavie
Old 09-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Find More Posts by Pale Rider
Bad-ass Super Contributor!
NJ
Joined Jan 2006
1,372 Posts

I think its pretty cool of Matt to take some time to give some insight into full scale aerobatics!

I remember the first time I saw Matt at a small airshow in New Garden PA..I was floored!! I remember thinking you were going to crash when you flew below our line of sight..I was on top of a hill looking down at the runway and I thought.."Holy Crap he's gonna crash"!! Then you shot up like a rocket!! COOOL!!!
Pale Rider is offline Find More Posts by Pale Rider
Old 09-26-2006, 09:39 PM
Find More Posts by Ryguy
THUNK..i meant to do that
Derby, Ks
Joined Jan 2006
295 Posts

Full scale aerobatics are intense. The most I've done is a roll and some KE flight in a..uh...modified Piper Cub.

But I was once in a 4G centrifuge for 20 minutes straight. I was fine until I got out and my stomach moved from my back to where it's supposed to be.
Ryguy is offline Find More Posts by Ryguy

Quick Reply