logo
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Freddy Warbird
She's a Bad Ass Sukhoi Pilot
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts
Re: Hard To Believe This Is A Human Being Doing This!

Quote:
Ryguy: I was once in a 4G centrifuge for 20 minutes straight.
HAAAAACK
Freddy Warbird is offline Find More Posts by Freddy Warbird
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-26-2006, 09:44 PM
Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Smoking a Blunt with Yoda
Ft. Smith, AR
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts

Aerobatics are a lot of fun, but also a lot of physical work as well. Today I enjoyed a nice 500kts low level with some 6-7G pulls throughout, and after 50 minutes of that I was dead tired. Got to stay in shape to pull Gs.
Flyinrazrback is offline Find More Posts by Flyinrazrback
Old 09-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by SuperDave
Bad-Ass Super Contortionist!
United States, TX, Roanoke
Joined Jan 2006
2,556 Posts

Done 7.5 G's in an F-15, nearly blacked out. Uh, then puked, uh... then slept 8 hours.
SuperDave is offline Find More Posts by SuperDave
Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 PM
Find More Posts by teryn
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Jan 2006
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks
It's not hard to do in full scale because they have so much momentum, and when they are at low flying speeds like in the video, the plane tumbles around like a rock, quite effortlessly.
It's hard for me to believe that somebody can be this ignorant and clueless and show it so blatantly. I've seen the bumper sticker, "if you think education is expensive try ignorance".
teryn is offline Find More Posts by teryn
Old 09-26-2006, 11:56 PM
Find More Posts by TimDavie
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jan 2006
1,183 Posts

Guys, It didn't seem like Bodywerks slammed anyone, just stated what he thought was happening. Matt politely set the record straight, and everyone is better informed for knowing the facts.
TimDavie is offline Find More Posts by TimDavie
Last edited by TimDavie; 09-27-2006 at 12:13 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 AM
Find More Posts by TimDavie
Tulsa, OK
Joined Jan 2006
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy Warbird
Is that on video?
www.gregpoe.com
The "Greg Video 1" shows what might be the "Poe Pinwheel" Hard to tell since the top of the plane is shadowed if it also is an inverted spin or the pinwheel.
TimDavie is offline Find More Posts by TimDavie
Old 09-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Find More Posts by bodywerks
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapman
Wow, sorry dude, but I have to disagree here.
"not hard to do" and "so much momentum" and "quite effortlessly"? I would guess that you have never done any hard, unlimited full scale aerobatics. Nothing you said here could be further form the truth. THe stuff you see him do in this video is pretty basic as well. Nothing new or too intricate, but very nicely done. Some full scale tumbles damn neer require you to rip the stick out of the torque tube to get the thing to let loose. A good and interetsing tumble needs to be kept in the rotation, no amount of "momentum" keeps the plane in. The only thing I have seen momentom do is work earthward and kill many people. After 8 to 10 minutes of this stuff at an airshow and you're sweating like a pig as well. "effortless"? Last time I pulled time I pulled 9.5 G's in my CAP I would say it took some effort as well.
This is of course just my opinion, but then, what do I l know when it come to this stuff?
No disrespect, dude! I am not saying it is not hard to do, but seeing that it is practically impossible to do a "cartwheel" (practically looked like a 540 stall turn)with an R/C plane (the only R/C plane I ever saw do a cartwheel like that was a twin-fuse Chip Hyde Vision, flown by Chip and Jason Shulman, each having seperate control of the left and right side of the plane and two rudders and two engines), it is comparatively "not hard to do".
You're right, I don't fly full scale aerobatics, but I find it hard to fathem that rudder authority and power had a whole lot to do with it, If that was the case, then model airplanes would be able to do it better, having way more power and enough rudder authority for knife-edge loops.
I have seen R/C planes cartwheel like that before (done one or two myself - not on purpose), but not at the end of a vertical line like this full scale did. It usually happens after the plane loses all airspeed at the end of an intricate tumble.
bodywerks is offline Find More Posts by bodywerks
Old 09-27-2006, 12:46 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by teryn
It's hard for me to believe that somebody can be this ignorant and clueless and show it so blatantly. I've seen the bumper sticker, "if you think education is expensive try ignorance".
You took it way outa context, dude! As stated previuosly, there are a lot of tumble maneuvers that full scale planes either do better or can do that R/C planes can't. My statement was comparing what happens to a full scale plane compared to a model airplane. It was no reflection on how "easy" it was on/for the pilot inside the plane...
Old 09-27-2006, 12:51 AM
Tucson
Joined Jan 2006
5,331 Posts

I also failed to mention that I was only talking about the 540 stall turn that he did at the beginning of the video...
Old 09-27-2006, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
CAP?? What's that?
Avondale, Pa
Joined Jan 2006
626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodywerks
I also failed to mention that I was only talking about the 540 stall turn that he did at the beginning of the video...
Bodywerks,
Sorry...I didn't meen to come across as slamming you. I didn't notice the 540 hammerhaead at the beginnig of the video. That can be a cool maneuver as well. If you followed the thread, at one piont we talked about optical illusion. The 540 hammerhead is another oneof the type figures. (most of the time) I say that, cuz when Tucker, LeRoy or other talented bi-plane drivers do them, they can be danm near vertical when they pivot. However, even Tucker has about a 10 to 20 degree off vertical attitude. Thsi is why when they do the manuever, they set it up either at the end of the box so you look down at them or wings at you show center. This tends to hide the pitch. They do a great job of airspeed too. Most of the ones I have seen them do are true almost zero speed hammerheads. So, all rudder at work.
When I do mine in the CAP,I need a little speed, about 60 kts, about 30 degrees off vertical and I have do do i going away from you. It looks similar, but not a true 540. THe Extra is more like mine, but if he attempted the 540 like the bi-plane, I would say he did a lot of sliding as he rotated. Still cool looking. Keep in mind as well, this is done using not only rudder, but elevator and aileron as well at various times in the maneuver.
Again...not being as nice as Mr. Handley...I won;t tell!
Now, to go figure out how to TR my 35% Extra....
Matt Chapman is offline Find More Posts by Matt Chapman
Old 09-27-2006, 10:50 AM
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

Quote:
Matt: Keep in mind as well, this is done using not only rudder, but elevator and aileron as well at various times in the maneuver.
I believe it. In that 540 stall, which I didn't know the proper name for the manuever, the pilot is preventing the airframe from rolling. The Extra wants to roll out, but the pliot keeps it in the same attitude with the belly of the plane facing the camera.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:57 AM
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDavie
www.gregpoe.com
The "Greg Video 1" shows what might be the "Poe Pinwheel" Hard to tell since the top of the plane is shadowed if it also is an inverted spin or the pinwheel.
I will take a look. Thanks! Man, I love the Ziko Edge 540. I found this last night searching around. Talk about a tail slide! Bill's Stein's Edge 540. This particular plane reminds me of bill Hempel's purple 52% Edge. Pretty planes! I wonder why Composite ARF hasn't produced something like a 37.5 to 40% composite Edge 540. Imagine a light composite Edge somewhere around 35lbs with a DA 150 on board.
Last edited by Freddy Warbird; 09-27-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by jack01
Memphis, TN
Joined Jan 2006
1,459 Posts

The really cool part about Bill Stein's Edge is that the color changes depending on what angle you look at it from. It's purple, metallic green, gold, and blue ish depending on what angle it is. He flew into town to practice right before one of the ACAP shows.
jack01 is offline Find More Posts by jack01
Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Find More Posts by atique
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Feb 2006
367 Posts

Cool!
atique is offline Find More Posts by atique
Old 09-27-2006, 01:43 PM
California
Joined May 2006
953 Posts

Thank God for RC airplanes. I'm jealous!

Quick Reply