logo
Old 07-23-2019, 08:44 AM
Find More Posts by JBaynes05
United States, DE, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2018
30 Posts
Discussion
3dhs 103" Extra 330SC

Okay. So I am picking up one of these soon. In the build manual, It says this plane can be electric with a Hacker A60 18L or a Hacker A80-8 motor. Does anybody know any motors that are equivalent to this and are cheaper?

Thanks

Jackson
JBaynes05 is offline Find More Posts by JBaynes05
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 07-23-2019, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
I work for Extreme Flight RC.
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,272 Posts
Jackson, those are old recommendations from several years ago when that plane was in production (and one is incorrect, in fact, must be a typo in one version of the manual, but it's been a long time) and I would not use either of those motors at present. The current correct Hacker recommendation is the Q100 7M.

There are not many people using electric power in 35% aerobatic planes anymore, and development of electric motors for this size has really not progressed nearly as much as other sizes, mainly because of the introduction of the awesome DA-120CC gas engine several years ago, and then the subsequent introduction of other really powerful choices like the GP123.

Unless you are faced with a really serious restriction, like a very strict noise requirement at your field or you live in an apartment and can't have fumes from the airplane, I'd recommend examining the available 120CC gas choices before committing to electric.

If you must go electric, here are a few threads discussing some available setups, but they aren't recent:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...=208481&page=2

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86847

There are also some smart guys in this thread building custom gear-drive setups that work very well in 35% aircraft:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...atics!/page532
3DHobbyShop is offline Find More Posts by 3DHobbyShop
Old 07-23-2019, 09:42 AM
Joined Jul 2018
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHobbyShop View Post
Jackson, those are old recommendations from several years ago when that plane was in production (and one is incorrect, in fact, must be a typo in one version of the manual, but it's been a long time) and I would not use either of those motors at present. The current correct Hacker recommendation is the Q100 7M.

There are not many people using electric power in 35% aerobatic planes anymore, and development of electric motors for this size has really not progressed nearly as much as other sizes, mainly because of the introduction of the awesome DA-120CC gas engine several years ago, and then the subsequent introduction of other really powerful choices like the GP123.

Unless you are faced with a really serious restriction, like a very strict noise requirement at your field or you live in an apartment and can't have fumes from the airplane, I'd recommend examining the available 120CC gas choices before committing to electric.

If you must go electric, here are a few threads discussing some available setups, but they aren't recent:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...=208481&page=2

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...ad.php?t=86847

There are also some smart guys in this thread building custom gear-drive setups that work very well in 35% aircraft:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...atics!/page532
Thank you a lot! Hopefully, this will work.
Old 07-23-2019, 09:55 AM
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,272 Posts
I'm sure you can make it work. I flew electric 35% planes for years on a simple setup:

an 8-10,000 watt outrunner motor (back in the day it was a Hacker A100-8, which made plenty of power but ran rather hot...although despite all the heat I still have both of my originals which are over 10 years old at this point and still run fine. I guess that's a point in favor of investing in the Hacker)

A 160-200 amp ESC (At the time, this was the weak link. Hacker offered a "matched" 200 amp ESC but the performance was bad at the time, poor throttle response, so we used Castle ESC's. Right now, my preference would be the Hobbywing Platinum 200A)

4 X 6S 5000mah lipo batteries, connected together to make 12S 10,000mah.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:28 AM
Joined Jul 2018
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DHobbyShop View Post
I'm sure you can make it work. I flew electric 35% planes for years on a simple setup:

an 8-10,000 watt outrunner motor (back in the day it was a Hacker A100-8, which made plenty of power but ran rather hot...although despite all the heat I still have both of my originals which are over 10 years old at this point and still run fine. I guess that's a point in favor of investing in the Hacker)

A 160-200 amp ESC (At the time, this was the weak link. Hacker offered a "matched" 200 amp ESC but the performance was bad at the time, poor throttle response, so we used Castle ESC's. Right now, my preference would be the Hobbywing Platinum 200A)

4 X 6S 5000mah lipo batteries, connected together to make 12S 10,000mah.
Santiago Perez put a SCORPION SII-6530-180KV motor in a 105" Slick 580 and it flew amazing. Do you think one of those could go in there? Or an Xpwr 60 motor?
Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 AM
TEXAS
Joined Apr 2006
1,272 Posts
Any power system which works well in the 105” Slick will work well in the 103” Extra, as it would in any relatively light weight 35% airplane.

The XPWR 60 is almost enough power for a 35%, but not quite. It’s pleasantly overpowered on a 60-70CC design (hence its name) but should not be used in place of 100-120CC.

Quick Reply