logo
This thread is privately moderated by Xpress.., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
Cool
2016 - A year in review

Well we are down to the last couple of weeks for 2016 and let me say, it's been one hell of a roller coaster (at least for me anyways). My time with Hitec has graced me with so many opportunities this year in the hobby and has taken me places I have only dreamed of going to. I've made lots of new friends, grown closer to the ones I've had, and overall had copious amounts of fun along the way.

It kicked off with a bang, AMA Expo 2017. I had one week to prep a number of airplanes for display at the show both at work and in my own time off, including assembling 2 brand new airplanes for demo inside of the flight demonstration area.

It would be the first time I've ever had to work a show and was going to be there Wednesday through Sunday. Most of my time was spent talking with people- from vendors, to customers, to old friends and new, the whole event felt like it whizzed on by in a blur. I did fly a couple of demo flights with the ParkMaster Pro I had built the week prior with the maiden happening indoors. Didn't really have time to set the airplane up properly before the event so it flew a little odd, but we still had fun with it.

Even though Sunday came quickly, it couldn't come quick enough as I just wanted to get home and get away from everything for a bit. Back to work on Monday

As January came to a close, the first giant scale event of the year took place and me and my flying buddies were all back at it with instigating on the deck shenanigans. Joe Hunt was nice enough to put the event together and I found myself and my girlfriend staying up there Friday and Saturday night and heading home Sunday- originally our plan was to head up Friday night and head home Saturday night but we had so much fun Saturday that we decided to stay a little longer

About as low as you can go before your airplane gets lighter!!!!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 12-13-2016, 04:11 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
February brought to me my first 70CC airplane, powered by the jewel DA70. Aerobeez has been really working hard to make their airplanes higher quality and fly outstanding in every regard, it came as no surprise to me that their 91" Slick 540 ("BANSHEE" as they call it) flew phenomenal.

The little DA70 is very impressive on power, it runs so amazingly smooth and has electric like acceleration, couple with the Falcon 24x9 prop, it perfectly complimented this airplane in every way.

The airplane unfortunately met an untimely death after just 6 flights, due to power loss in one of my receivers (dual receiver setup). The poor little DA70 hit the ground running and blew apart. Back off to DA it went- that one stung a little bit.

Fortunately Aerobeez has been real cool to me and hooked me up on replacement airframe parts. A new fuselage, cowl, canopy, landing gear, pants, and a rudder (basically everything but elevators and wings) were procured and I had the airplane back up and flying again by mid-April

Last edited by Xpress..; 12-13-2016 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:48 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
March came and went quickly too. RCX was another show I got to work at with the Hitec crew, this time the road/car guys. The car guys are always a ton of fun to hang with and really instigate after hours shenanigans. I didn't get any pictures of the event but it wasn't as busy as an event should be. Truth be told, I don't know if RCX is ever going to happen again with how little guests actually showed up. It's unfortunate but that seems to be how RC is going lately in general.

April gave way to longer hours before sunset and as such, I had to get the Aerobeez Slick out and fly it some more Since the sun stayed out to play longer, that meant I could go after work, which I did a number of times.

I am very fortunate in having a girlfriend who enjoys going with me for flying shenanigans. She has taken a lot of pictures of my airplanes, I had to get one of her with mine

At the beginning of May, the Multiplex crew was in town for a meeting with the Hitec RCD USA heads so of course they didn't want to spend all that time stuck in an office and had to come out for a day of play

Left to right: Dieter Woerner, me, and Lukas Nakir. Two very fun guys to hang with, I was happy to invite them out to my club and show them how we throw down in Southern California
Last edited by Xpress..; 12-13-2016 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:30 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
The month of May, the time of year everybody in the hobby gets excited for because it's JOE NALL WEEK!!!

I have never been to Joe Nall but it has always been a bucket list event for me. Hitec was sending me out for a week to go play at the biggest RC event in the US, how great is that?! We flew out on Sunday to Charlotte International on Sunday and drove into Woodruff on Monday. This was the first time I've flown in a commercial airliner and been to the east coast (not to mention my first time to Joe Nall) so plenty of firsts on this trip.

It was such an amazing and exciting event, catching up with old friends, making lots of new ones, and finally putting online usernames to faces. I was unfortunately sick Tuesday through Thursday so a lot of my time was spent sitting away from the noises, but I did partake in many a night time shenanigans on the 3D line.

Some incredible East Coast sunsets too.

Saturday came rolling around far too quick and before I knew it we were hauling back out to the airport to fly back home. It was a phenomenal event with lots of incredible action going on every minute of each day and night, I only wish I had been able to bring my own airplane with me!

The flight back home wasn't so bad, we got upgraded to first class and flew home in luxury and style

I want to keep this blog post mostly about RC but a big part of my life is spending time with family. The end of May marks the beginning of the warmer months for us in the south west region so the start of our trips out to the desert and river was marked by the last weekend of May. Of course there happened to be a club nearby in Yuma so I felt obligated to take an airplane with me. The Aerobeez 91" Slick was the perfect candidate so out it went.

Old 12-13-2016, 06:10 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
June through the end of August was a little bit of a blur again, me and the family did so much in there that it was difficult to remember everything but I'll try and consolidate it here.

One of my other low-key obsessions is trains, especially mini scale trains! These guys have had a track setup at a local park since the 60's and run there once every month, offering rides to the locals. Very interesting stuff, most of their trains are electric, with the exception of one gas and one steam loco.

I was hoping to partake in more of their club this year but I've been so busy that I never got a chance to.

4th of July is of course a favorite holiday every year and our town throws on a parade in the morning which I usually ride in with my motorcycle. I adorn the rear of it with flags and dress as patriotic as possible for the ride, being that the roads are closed for the parade it allows us some specific freedoms we otherwise might get in trouble over on any other day

My best friends birthday falls in the middle of July so we went out for a ride before his party later that night. It happened to be a comfortable 102* that day, only cooling down to a cold 92* in the mountains.

It was probably one of the more fun rides I've been on, if we leave out the bit in the middle where one of the group newbies decided to make a wrong turn and leave us scratching our heads as to where he went. The mountains are where I can really feel the shortcomings of my bikes suspension. Power delivery is insane but handling really needs work. I was always right on my friends rear but never in the corners. Hopefully I'll be switching up to a different bike in the coming year..

Not really sure in which order the rest of these pics happened, all I know is that there were a number of river trips in there and more rides. Summer time is always fully utilized around here

Somewhere mid August me and some of the locals were invited back up to the OCMA club where the January huck was held for a day of play. Since my Yak was down due to a forced inverted landing, the Aerobeez Slick came to the rescue.

By this point in the year I was getting proficient with rolling left, something I have always wanted to learn to do.

It was a thoroughly enjoyable day, though half of it was spent waiting for fire crews to finish their training- a helicopter had landed and we were not allowed to fly until he left, or so said the club officers...

The closing of August was met with a Guns N Roses concert my girlfriend surprised me with for my birthday. I've been a GNR fan as long as I can remember and it was totally awesome to see them live, along with The Cult opening for them!

What an incredible concert, both bands played their hearts out, it was nice to hear these big time 80's bands play to their fullest instead of being inebriated half the time. My ears were ringing for days after, they played phenomenal.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:17 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
September came rolling around far too quickly and before we knew it, our last river excursion of the year happened. I had my Aerobeez mini Banshee with me and brought it out on the river with us. The water was a little cold but it still peaked in the mid 90's during the day, still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves with more lounging and fishing.

October showed up and presented us with a new vehicle for transporting the airplanes around in!

She's a bigun, Chevy Express 2500 with a 5.7L Vortec engine (good ol' Chevy 350 baby ). She runs like a top, only 120k miles as of this post.

The first trip we took in the van was to a local club fun fly event. I was the guest of honor and was happy to throw down with my Aerobeez 70" Slick Pro. The club members don't get to see 3D very often so it was very fun showing them what an airplane is really capable of.

We had no trouble fitting a 25%, a 35%, and a 40% inside, along with supporting gear, luggage, and even a 1/8 buggy and its gear for another event. Speaking of buggies, Hobby People was having a sale on their 1/8 nitro 4x4 buggy so I decided to buy it. Had a Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro lying around so I tossed out the stock radio and threw the Hitec gear in. A Hitec HS-5565MH on the throttle and a Hitec D-950TW on the steering rounded this baby off, it's been a total blast re-learning all of the nitro stuff!

I have been making it a priority to really spend a lot of time with family and friends this past year or so with the passing of my grandmother earlier in 2015, and I am glad that I was able to make so many memories this year with all of my family and friends. Unfortunately, as the old saying goes, 'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time.' October came to a close on a very sad note with the passing of one of my best friends and a guy I considered to be my brother. He tragically passed in a high speed car accident when he lost control of his car at 100mph+ and flew off the side of a cliff. He passed away instantly in the crash as fire consumed the vehicle. This is a picture of the candle light vigil his family hosted the following week.

The reality still has not fully set in even nearly 2 months later. I'm still at a loss for words surrounding this.
Last edited by Xpress..; 12-13-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:21 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
The month of November began on a high note for me as the first weekend was another giant scale event, So Cali style! We had names like Tavis Newman, Kyle Woyshnis, Kim Quenette, Benjamin Mackles, Santiago Perez, Spencer Nordquist, etc. all show up to throw down. It was the most fun I've had since Joe Nall and it was good to see my flying friends again for 2 days of awesomeness.

Sadly the weekend after the event I had a tuning issue with the engine in my 40% Aerobeez prototype and it piled into the ground nose first. Everything is totally repairable and I'm working to get a new motor box made now. Engine is all back safe and sound.

Aerobeez was gracious enough to let me test out the prototype 40% Extra 300 126" after Santiago had it, this airplane has been across the country already. Santiago flew it at Joe Nall with a 48lb setup, DA200L, 13 servos, lights, the works. I like it much better with my 40Lb setup, and I'm repairing it back to its original condition.
Old 12-13-2016, 07:29 PM
Fully Sending It
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Mar 2008
2,934 Posts
Thanksgiving is always a much enjoyed time of year, this year we spent it out at my aunts place in Salton City, near Ocotillo. Lots of time offroad in our new RZR and Rhino, and of course a little stick time thrown in Seems like Thanksigiving weekend was here and gone in a flash- there's a reoccurring theme with this year...

December is finally here and I've managed to break yet another airplane

All that I need to replace is the left wing panel. The right suffered a repair earlier this year and came out fine but I'm replacing both for good measure

That's about it for now, we haven't really done much this month because the holidays haven't rolled around. Christmas with the family and then New Years Eve with friends is about all I have going on. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year all!

Quick Reply