logo
Old 06-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Lyndonville, VT
Joined Nov 2008
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
Yes, that too, avoid felt clunks. they may work well at first, but over time, they will become restrictive, same with ceramic filters.
Maybe because they're doing their job?
Any fuel filter should be replaced on a regular basis.

If that felt filter clunk does the job on a commercial grade chainsaw, it'll work fine for our pampered model engines
Pete
Pilotpete is offline Find More Posts by Pilotpete
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 06-16-2019, 11:28 AM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Yeah, you guys really got me thinking. We should just go and remove the in-tank fuel filter in all of our cars and trucks because...you know, it's already filtered at the pump before it goes into the nozzle. I'm sure that the automakers only put the filters in the tank, or in-line, to create problems and diminish performance. I actually recall everyone joking about that when I worked at Walbro Automotive building fuel delivery systems for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, etc. We would laugh about those silly, unnecessary filters all the time.

Must be a conspiracy from the filter makers.
RCAddiction is online now Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 06-16-2019, 06:26 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotpete View Post

If that felt filter clunk does the job on a commercial grade chainsaw, it'll work fine for our pampered model engines
Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Yeah, you guys really got me thinking. We should just go and remove the in-tank fuel filter in all of our cars and trucks because...you know, it's already filtered at the pump before it goes into the nozzle. I'm sure that the automakers only put the filters in the tank, or in-line, to create problems and diminish performance. I actually recall everyone joking about that when I worked at Walbro Automotive building fuel delivery systems for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, etc. We would laugh about those silly, unnecessary filters all the time.

Must be a conspiracy from the filter makers.

Just trying to share my experience. You and no one else has to follow it.
I am trying to help the person who was asking for advice.
I have learned a great deal over the past 10 years with regards to flying model airplanes.
I have learned, almost like experimenting, and based on the results is where I am at to make my recommendations.

But, you all can do as you wish.

I did not mean for my statements or recommendations to make anyone upset

and

I never made a blanket statement to disagree with anyone else's recommendations.

But, with that said, I will say this:
I use a clear bottle as a fuel tank. I do this intentionally so that I can see the status of the fuel and the fittings and the fuel line, after each and every flight and before the 1st flight of any day. If there were debris inside the tank, I would be able to see it immediately.

So far, I do not have this.

One thing for sure, have you or can you (i cannot) ever seen the inside of your autromobile's fuel tank?

Have you ever looked inside your riding lawnmower's fuel tank?

because if you could, I guarantee it would be filled with all kinds of debris, plastic, rubber, metal, etc....

ANd, this probably comes from the gasoline pump or over time, disintegration of the inside of the fuel tank.

And, I will also share this with you.

I changed my felt clunks at the beginning of the season, and noticed on the 1st flight, something was wrong with the performance of the airplane, which sent me on a wild goose chase, until i discovered it was the felt clunk!

Anyways, I know I cannot change your mind, but now, everyone else can read my experience and choose for themselves.

For every argument, there will always be a counter-argument.

For all the fathers out there, hope you had a great Father's day!
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 06-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Find More Posts by tande
United States, MI, Millington
Joined Sep 2008
1,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotpete View Post

Pete
^^^^^^^^^
tande is offline Find More Posts by tande
Old 06-16-2019, 07:21 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Ortho, I don't see an argument, the least of all with you! I just find it strange that people think having a filter is a bad thing. Your car engine will run awesome without the back pressure of an air filter...for a while.
  1. The stuff that clogs the felt clunk over time would have ended up inside the carb. As pointed out above, it's doing its job. They should be replaced periodically as preventive maintenance. When one of mine gets visibly discolored, I replace it.
  2. I use clear fuel tanks as well. I can see the condition of the filter, fuel line, etc, but that still doesn't enable me to see the small particles that generally tend to clog fuel filters or carb screens.
  3. There are a 19 different model Walbro felt filters and countless knockoffs. There are 19 on this page alone. Those are the official model Walbro makes, not including OEM ones that are made for specific engine or power equipment companies. Many in RC are selling or buying versions that Walbro does not actually recommend for our application. Just because it's a felt clunk and says "Walbro" doesn't mean it's got the correct construction for our application. Or that it's genuine.
Per my last call with Walbro, we should be using these specific models for our RC gas engines. They are rated up to 130cc engines although the pdf link says 125cc.

• 125-534 1/8" nipple, (2) 30 micron screens, "cut" felt to prevent loose felt fibers in carb, which had been a prior issue
  • 125-532 3/16"nipple, otherwise as above
If I was running something larger than 130cc, I'd consider dual lines with dual clunks feeding a large diameter fuel tube. But after my years developing fuel systems, there's no way I'd leave out a filter. And yes, I filter the fuel in my filling jug as well.
Last edited by RCAddiction; 06-16-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
RCA, did walbro have a HP rating on the filters? Or did they just go by CC? And I agree. I use a filter on my fuel line (H9). I clean it once a year. And even though I filter at the fuel can, I still get some debris in the filter. I much rather catch it there instead of the carb screen. The air leak at the coloring issue is something I don't understand. If you don't have a leak at the carb or tank, why would you have one at the filter.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
Last edited by jamesrxx951; 06-16-2019 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Guys, here's the thing....there are thousands of us in the hobby. no one has figured out the only way to do anything, we all have various approaches for doing so. for every one who says you must do it this way there are a 100 guys that have done it the other way with no problems. there is no "right way". do whatever works for you. I get annoyed with anyone who claims the high ground as if their word is law. I was careful in my initial post to say here's what I do, here's why I do it, and others may have a different approach. that's all we can do.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 06-16-2019, 07:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Guys, here's the thing....there are thousands of us in the hobby. no one has figured out the only way to do anything, we all have various approaches for doing so. for every one who says you must do it this way there are a 100 guys that have done it the other way with no problems. there is no "right way". do whatever works for you. I get annoyed with anyone who claims the high ground as if their word is law. I was careful in my initial post to say here's what I do, here's why I do it, and others may have a different approach. that's all we can do.
Amen!
and remember, this is FLYING GIANTS

expect it
Old 06-16-2019, 08:55 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
No disagreement here. Lots of approaches to keep our toys running well. It should be obvious that anything I type (or anyone else types) is based individual experience or is simply just opinion. Feel free to ignore what I type.

There are people on this forum with extensive experience in areas from whom I learn as much as I can. I hope to pay back my experience when I am able. If you think that's being high and mighty, that's not my intent. That's just how you choose to read it.

Using contacts at Walbro, I tried to contribute what they recommend to help others who wish to use a filter.

There is general agreement that fuel should be filtered somewhere, to avoid carb issues. Despite filters in my fuel jugs, my in-tank filters eventually do get dirty. That means, logically, that dirt is somehow still getting into the fuel tank and the filter is keeping that dirt out of my engines. That's why I use filters. Please don't do what I do if you'd rather do something else.

James - No...Walbro did not make a filter recommendation based on anything but displacement. It's likely just based on fuel rate and an acceptable delta P. Most bigger carbureted engines, like riding mowers, generators, etc use in-line filters, not in-tank ones. What we do is quite niche.
Old 06-16-2019, 10:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Not trying to beat a horse dead here.

Just explaining myself.

You all can do as you wish.

I want to share with you what I do, which has been mentioned.

But, in my fill station, I use a clunk inside that has a filter, then, after the fuel passes thru the pump, the fill line has one of these filters in it, then, the actual fuel filler nipple also has a filter in it.

I am not disagreeing with any of you, but, with me doing this for the past 7 years, I have not had issues with my carburetors developing any debris or having performance problems.

Only want to share with you all what I do, which after you see this, you must all think I am OCD!! LOL
3 filters before the fuel enters my airplane's fuel tank.

I guess, you can still get debris inside the fuel tank from the vent tube?
Old 06-16-2019, 10:42 PM
Find More Posts by rsnow
United States, AZ, Casa Grande
Joined May 2015
198 Posts
LOL orthobird!!! and Happy Fathers day to you as well!
I have a plastic 5gal. Fueling can which is red and through the sunlight and the 3"dia. opening I see debris from the gas pump....this is the only way it got there so I slosh it around and toss it occaisionally. Bye the way I have a Walbro clunk in the 5Gal. fueling can..... Using a dedicated fill/defuel line is how I fill my planes.... then inside a clear tank is a Walbro felt clunk line to the carb. seems to work well for me so far but that's just my 2 cents. there are many ways to skin a cat as they say.
Thx
RSnow
rsnow is offline Find More Posts by rsnow
Last edited by rsnow; 06-16-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:33 AM
Find More Posts by dshriver
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Oct 2014
1,165 Posts
Cam

While I do not run a filter between tank and carb I do run a filter on my vent line! I also have a filter in the vent line of my fuel can.

Quote:

Just explaining myself.

But, in my fill station, I use a clunk inside that has a filter, then, after the fuel passes thru the pump, the fill line has one of these filters in it, then, the actual fuel filler nipple also has a filter in it.

I am not disagreeing with any of you, but, with me doing this for the past 7 years, I have not had issues with my carburetors developing any debris or having performance problems.

Only want to share with you all what I do, which after you see this, you must all think I am OCD!! LOL

dshriver is offline Find More Posts by dshriver
Old 06-17-2019, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by ghoffman
United States, FL, Jupiter
Joined Nov 2009
11,564 Posts
Quote:

Just explaining myself.

Of course, when the engine is running, the vent is “sucking “ air in, and in most cases the vent tube is on the bottom of the fuse where the prop is kicking up dirt. That’s why I filter the vent as well.
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Last edited by ghoffman; 06-17-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:14 PM
Find More Posts by Tropical Joe
United States, NY, New York
Joined Jan 2019
27 Posts
Some people say this and some people say that ? Wow I am scratching my head ! How about this - eney meney niney mo ? or paper rock scissors ? ? ?
Tropical Joe is offline Find More Posts by Tropical Joe
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 PM
Joined Jan 2006
3,092 Posts
You are looking for 1 fact-based answer and instead you find many differing opinions.

Face it...you have a 35cc engine. It's not a 150cc. A Walbro or Zama filter clunk in the tank isn't going to impede the flow. If it did, 30-45cc chainsaws and string trimmers would all stop working. Of course, that's just my opinion. At least it's not an oil thread.

Quick Reply