logo
Old 10-20-2019, 09:18 PM
Find More Posts by RC Rich
United States, IL, Elizabeth
Joined Dec 2014
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplayin View Post
I've been trying to zero in on the difference too but from what I'm seeing, the difference can be anywhere between 6.25 and 11 ounces.

I personally think that the red version can come in at 19.2 lbs with the lighter 12S 5Ah packs and a light UBEC with something like a light Ultra-Guard or Scorpion backup. The HW BEC is already wired for a backup battery so a 2S 750mAh adds only 41g.

Xpwr60 = 1153g
Castle HV160 = 243g
HW UBEC = 74g
2S 750mAh Backup = 41g
AR8010T = 24g
5x SV-1270 servos = 325g
Extensions = 92g
Arms = 28g
Spinner = 72g
Standoffs = 85g
24x12 PJN = 104g
2x 6S 5000 = 1460g

Total power and control components = 8.16 pounds
Empty airframe = 11.43 lbs
AUW = 19.6 lbs

So the red version could be as light as 18.9 lbs with these components. And I think removing the pilot and deck will drop another 5.5 ounces.

Jackdl -- can you please confirm the canopy and cowl weight?
Thanks for putting that together Jim!
RC Rich is offline Find More Posts by RC Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-21-2019, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Rich View Post
Thanks for putting that together Jim!
Yes, it's nice to have that info together.
Honestly, this airframe has so much wing area, I prefer the 6200mah packs for flight duration and overall feel.
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds
Old 10-21-2019, 07:26 AM
Find More Posts by RC Rich
United States, IL, Elizabeth
Joined Dec 2014
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by suds View Post
Yes, it's nice to have that info together.
Honestly, this airframe has so much wing area, I prefer the 6200mah packs for flight duration and overall feel.
What 6200's are you using Rob?
RC Rich is offline Find More Posts by RC Rich
Old 10-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Find More Posts by suds
indywestrc & viehercfliers
United States, IN, Zionsville
Joined Jul 2014
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Rich View Post
What 6200's are you using Rob?
Believe it or not, Zippy 40C Compacts.
Have several sets 2 seasons in still running strong.
Great lipo for the price (even better with the 10% off code) and good review on the rcgroups battery thread. Looks like they are OOS currently but HK restocks frequently.
suds is offline Find More Posts by suds
Old 11-03-2019, 06:29 PM
Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
United States, OH, Apple Creek
Joined Oct 2019
93 Posts
Hi everyone, after lurking for awhile and reading through 73 pages of a wealth of info, I figured might as well join in! Been flying for years, some sport, some 3d, electric and nitro. Never owned an airplane over 60 in wingspan, or a gasser, even though I've always had a dream of owning a giant scale airplane, especially a 3d machine like this one. Recently I was at the Spookfest fly in in Galion, Oh, and was lucky enough to win the raffle grand prize, an EF Leo 91 Laser! So here goes, I apologize in advance for any stupid questions, I'm totally new to gas and giant scale, and in advance also, I appreciate everyone's knowledge on this, I want to set this plane up the right way, and this thread has already helped a lot!

From what I've gathered so far, I'm going with the DA 70 w/jtec compact slick mufflers, futaba 14sg, tech aero ibec, booma multi switch with pin fail safe. I'd like to run dual rx batteries, what size and style do you recommend?

Also, with servos I'm leaning towards MKS 777+ on control surfaces and MKS HV1250 throttle. But does anyone see Promodeler servos working on this plane, or not? Thanks yall!

Bill
AltitudeBill is offline Find More Posts by AltitudeBill
Old 11-03-2019, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AltitudeBill View Post
Hi everyone, after lurking for awhile and reading through 73 pages of a wealth of info, I figured might as well join in! Been flying for years, some sport, some 3d, electric and nitro. Never owned an airplane over 60 in wingspan, or a gasser, even though I've always had a dream of owning a giant scale airplane, especially a 3d machine like this one. Recently I was at the Spookfest fly in in Galion, Oh, and was lucky enough to win the raffle grand prize, an EF Leo 91 Laser! So here goes, I apologize in advance for any stupid questions, I'm totally new to gas and giant scale, and in advance also, I appreciate everyone's knowledge on this, I want to set this plane up the right way, and this thread has already helped a lot!

From what I've gathered so far, I'm going with the DA 70 w/jtec compact slick mufflers, futaba 14sg, tech aero ibec, booma multi switch with pin fail safe. I'd like to run dual rx batteries, what size and style do you recommend?

Also, with servos I'm leaning towards MKS 777+ on control surfaces and MKS HV1250 throttle. But does anyone see Promodeler servos working on this plane, or not? Thanks yall!

Bill
Hi bill congrats that is an awesome win! Please feel free to ask as much as you like even if you want to pm me you are welcome to do so.

Your setup is the way I would go as a futaba user myself. I am closing into 200 flights on mine with the DA 70 and MKS 777+
The only reason I wouldn't recommend pro modeler although I haven't used any myself is the amount of mixed reviews about them some love them some hate them, therefore it would be much safer to go with the MKS. Tech aero and dual switch is the way to go. Just make sure you supply enough power inputs to the receiver than a single JR connector. Try to aim for 2 or more one way to achieve this using the boom pin and flag is ordering it with Deans connectors for supplying power to the receiver (Whatever you prefer for the batteries) and then use deans to JR splitters sold by boma. It divides a single dean into 2 or 3 JR so if you do 2 on each output you have 4 to provide to the receiver. Does this make sense? on futaba receivers you could use any free port to supply power. Please let us know if you have any questions
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 11-03-2019, 10:20 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
As for the receiver packs I use two 2500 mAh and last 4 hard flights with 30% to spare
Old 11-04-2019, 05:41 AM
Joined Oct 2019
93 Posts
Hey thanks for the info aalfawaz- yes that all makes sense. Basically you're saying I would be distributing the power going into the rx, instead of it all flowing into one port. Is it safe to use a y harness to plug the batteries into channels that are already being used, or would you use a power expander or two rx for more open ports? The way Im thinking now, I'll use 6 ports for servos, one for tech aero, and one for switch/battery, which would fill the 7008 rx up, if I'm not mistaken?

Ok cool, are those batteries A123/Life or Lipo?
Last edited by AltitudeBill; 11-04-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:07 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Quote:
Hey thanks for the info aalfawaz- yes that all makes sense. Basically you're saying I would be distributing the power going into the rx, instead of it all flowing into one port. Is it safe to use a y harness to plug the batteries into channels that are already being used, or would you use a power expander or two rx for more open ports? The way Im thinking now, I'll use 6 ports for servos, one for tech aero, and one for switch/battery, which would fill the 7008 rx up, if I'm not mistaken?

No problem yes you get the idea!
Well I am using the 7008 as well no need for power expander for 5 high torque servos. You could just use a dual input output switch my bad it was late when I wrote my reply I was thinking about the way I do my 100 cc
The 7008 has total of 9 ports you will use 7 the. You have two free ones you could use for power. A Y will not do the job as there is still a single connector taking all the current through it. Just make sure you use a high quality failsafe switch (Booma or wolverine from Fromeco). The batteries I am using are 2S lipos. Don’t quote me on this but I have heard that HV MKS don’t like lower voltage batteries and perform best on HV
Old 11-04-2019, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Quote:

Bill
Aalfawaz gave some excellent info, as well I would say the high end Promodelers are fine, such as their 470 or 630 offerings, also the MKS777+ would be fine too. If you run 2 RX lipos I would use 2000-2700mah, Tech aero IBEC is fine too. As far as the rest of the stuff, extensions, servo arms, fuel tank, spinner is all available from Extreme Flight RC and I would go with them because the fit/colors etc are all made for their planes so it just makes things easier. Good luck, feel free to PM with any questions I have every Laser size EF makes and this 91" plane is awesome.
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 11-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Quote:

I am not that familiar with Futaba, but like Aalfawaz said you must use multiple ports for power distribution, but is that RX rated for high amps because you will pull a good bit possible even 10amps. I use Spektrum so I go with the powersafe RX's but I don't think Futaba has those ATM so you might consider a power expander. Not trying to make a sell, but I have a smart fly expander just sitting here that would work and is perfect condition I would sell ya.
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 11-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Futaba receivers are perfectly capable of handling the loads of a 70cc airplane. Failure of receiver buss is upwards of 60 amps.
FGNewbie is offline Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 11-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Joined Oct 2019
93 Posts
Ok awesome, thanks for everyone's input! Y'all are making this too easy on me, lol. Since the receiver can handle that load, I will plan on using my two open ports for power, I like the booma and wolverine switches both, but the pin flag really appeals to me, and using that with the new multi switch from booma, if I'm correct, it has 2 input and 2 outputs, ready for 2 rx batteries.

jwilliams, thanks for the info on the promodeler servos. I wasn't sure which ones I needed, but those that you mentioned aren't much cheaper than the MKS 777+, if I'm right? I will probably just go with the MKS since that's what extreme recommends.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:25 AM
Joined Oct 2019
93 Posts
One other thing that I couldn't find anywhere. In the manual it says I need to hinge all the control surfaces, but the elevators and ailerons are already done, even the gaps are sealed. Is that normal? I just wanted to make sure they're glued in right, and I know it's less work for me, sometimes on critical points like that, I like to do it myself to make sure it's glued and done right. I might be overboard on this, we all know EF is a terrific company. Just wanted to check if everyone on here had theirs done already or not?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:59 AM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Quote:
One other thing that I couldn't find anywhere. In the manual it says I need to hinge all the control surfaces, but the elevators and ailerons are already done, even the gaps are sealed. Is that normal? I just wanted to make sure they're glued in right, and I know it's less work for me, sometimes on critical points like that, I like to do it myself to make sure it's glued and done right. I might be overboard on this, we all know EF is a terrific company. Just wanted to check if everyone on here had theirs done already or not?
Seems like this is something recent. On a post on FB last week someone mentioned their laser was hinged and sealed I almost didn’t believe him. But it seems like this is new to the newer batches. Just tug on them pretty well to make sure they are in place and not going anywhere. I wouldn’t redo them unless they become loose just make sure they are glued and not just the tape holding them in place

Quick Reply