logo
Old 10-03-2019, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madinpensacola View Post
Fresh from today. I had an awesome conversation with Quique and Seth about this bird. Nose to tail Quique emphasized this is an entire redesigned airframe and the features are taken from what they’ve learned from each of his bipes. This one featured is their first prototype with the second prototype planned to feature the other color scheme as they incorporate more tweaks. The spinner is 5.5” turning a 27x11 Flex Carbon propeller. DA120 with factory baffling. Production models with feature carbon fiber landing gear. It incorporates carbon/ply laminate and a serious sheet of thin ply forming the forward fuselage. It looks almost composite at a glance. Expected weight in the 28# range. Wings are all new in design. The bottom wing even has anhedral. This thing is sick! Designed for fuel and smoke tanks side by side. Fuel compartment access hatch and pinned interplane struts like the Mamba70. Wings are secured with ONE bolt each like the Mamba70 but this one has the bolts from beneath the top wing to hide them. Canopy is held on with two bolts at the rear. I’ll attach pictures from earlier today. This thing flies clean!!!!
U sir are my hero today!!! Thanks for the great recap and pics!!!
teamhighrpm is offline Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-03-2019, 10:09 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
Diameter?

Mad,
I asked Seth about the cowl diameter but he didn’t have it or know it and said any current 120 would fit with room to spare. I wouldn’t plan on a current motor but I tend to balance short-nosed subjects with a heavier power plant with a lot of power rather than using lead. Still curious about that diameter to see if my current choices of power plants would fit.
WT
WangoTango is online now Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 10-04-2019, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by 3DJP
United States, NJ, Penns Grove
Joined Dec 2015
1,575 Posts
Would somebody please measure the Cowl so Waco Taco can see that most any engine that makes sense for that plane will fit!! People act like it’s available tomorrow!
3DJP is offline Find More Posts by 3DJP
Old 10-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WangoTango View Post
Mad,
I asked Seth about the cowl diameter but he didn’t have it or know it and said any current 120 would fit with room to spare. I wouldn’t plan on a current motor but I tend to balance short-nosed subjects with a heavier power plant with a lot of power rather than using lead. Still curious about that diameter to see if my current choices of power plants would fit.
WT
are people adding lead with the DA120s ?
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by Dennis22
United States, CA, Nevada City
Joined Mar 2016
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post

????? It is not available yet they only have the prototype so people have not even seen it.

Dennis
Dennis22 is offline Find More Posts by Dennis22
Old 10-04-2019, 03:02 PM
Find More Posts by BlinkguY
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2014
666 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DJP View Post
Would somebody please measure the Cowl so Waco Taco can see that most any engine that makes sense for that plane will fit!! People act like it’s available tomorrow!
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old 10-04-2019, 03:40 PM
Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Amsoil Dealer
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Jan 2006
3,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airboss/oc View Post
No lead with a DA-120.
Carbon spinner, Pull-Pull rudder, RX batteries on RX tray.
or
Aluminum spinner, push-pull rudder, RX batteries next to fuel tank

(Mamba 70 requires no lead with the recommended DA-70 as well).

Seth
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Last edited by 3D-Seth; 10-07-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:53 PM
Find More Posts by airboss/oc
desert racer
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2007
6,772 Posts
Quote:
Mad,
WT
Flex designed the Mamba around the 120 so any other engine might just be a waste of time.
after enjoying the crap out of my mamaba 70 the 120 version must be amazing
airboss/oc is offline Find More Posts by airboss/oc
Old 10-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by WangoTango
Conroe, Texas U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2007
5,152 Posts
weight and balance????

Okay all,
I basically do very little 3D. My Mamba 70 needed 6 ounces of lead when I ran it with a Brison 4.2 in the beginning. When I switched over to the DA-70 I removed 1 ounce of lead and it balanced slightly nose down like i want it to.

My thought was that I did not have a DA 120 and I knew a DA was lighter than a NIB old style 3W-120 which weighs in like a ton of bricks. My concern was how wide the cowl was to see if this ton of bricks would fit width wise. Soooooooo....... Blinkeydude, you can see my heavy old 3W is not just "any old engine" and I'd just like to utilize the thing. I'm sure it'll yank the snot out of this air frame...... Just not quite like Quique intended it to be yanked about in 3D fashion but it'll be fine for my flying.
Waco Taco........ Nah!
I'll stick with WangoTango!
WangoTango is online now Find More Posts by WangoTango
Old 10-04-2019, 07:47 PM
Find More Posts by BlinkguY
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2014
666 Posts
Quote:
Okay all,
I basically do very little 3D. My Mamba 70 needed 6 ounces of lead when I ran it with a Brison 4.2 in the beginning. When I switched over to the DA-70 I removed 1 ounce of lead and it balanced slightly nose down like i want it to.

My thought was that I did not have a DA 120 and I knew a DA was lighter than a NIB old style 3W-120 which weighs in like a ton of bricks. My concern was how wide the cowl was to see if this ton of bricks would fit width wise. Soooooooo....... Blinkeydude, you can see my heavy old 3W is not just "any old engine" and I'd just like to utilize the thing. I'm sure it'll yank the snot out of this air frame...... Just not quite like Quique intended it to be yanked about in 3D fashion but it'll be fine for my flying.
Waco Taco........ Nah!
I'll stick with WangoTango!
Im sure it will fit .. looks like the DA120 lives inside a 12 bedroom house inside that cowl
BlinkguY is offline Find More Posts by BlinkguY
Old 10-05-2019, 02:44 AM
Find More Posts by aalfawaz
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2015
1,301 Posts
Following
aalfawaz is offline Find More Posts by aalfawaz
Old 10-05-2019, 04:49 AM
Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Joined Jan 2019
94 Posts
This thing is amazing, I looked forward to someone posting a video of the demo.
Av8tor1 is offline Find More Posts by Av8tor1
Old 10-05-2019, 11:04 AM
Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2007
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8tor1 View Post
This thing is amazing, I looked forward to someone posting a video of the demo.
They have posted 2 videos now on their F.I. fb page. One is a teaser and the other is a 10min fun flight for seth. Absolutely amazing to watch!!
teamhighrpm is offline Find More Posts by teamhighrpm
Old 10-05-2019, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by The Count
Germany
Joined Oct 2006
193 Posts
After that second video, the 120cc is really the big brother from the 70cc. Flies perfect!
Waiting for a vid where QQ flies the Mamba 120cc.
The Count is offline Find More Posts by The Count
Old 10-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Find More Posts by Challenger
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Jan 2008
103 Posts
Just Returned from Fall Nall 2019 with Info on the M120!

I have been building QQ Design for many years, and have enjoyed all of the them from the Model 12 Kimball Scheme, Python, Beast, and the previous ultimate for me and my style of flying, the Mamba 70! I, and several 1000 of QQ's closest friends, have been asking for the next evolution of the M12, suggesting a larger 120CC version would be awesome. Well it is here now, my prayers have been answered, and my M120 is already on order for an anticipated Late Spring 2020 delivery. A $500 deposit is required. Please contact Flex for details.

I will try to answer some of the questions posted in the forum to the best of my ability, and provide a little more detail following three days of studying the prototype and interrogating QQ, Seth, and Josh at Fall Nall.

First, you can now pre order one of two color schemes (Cub Yellow/Black or Red/Blue). It will come with a light weight tank, and the mounting plate will accommodate (2) side by side, if you choose to use smoke. The prototype is currently flying with Futaba servos, but no servo offering is currently cast in stone. All M120's will arrive hinged, and with control horns installed. It is likely options, such as servos, arms, motor and muffler, spinner, prop, pilot, dash board, wing bags, sun-cover, and Aura Professional will be available separately, or combined in some package configurations.

The M120 can be built with a center mounted pull-pull rudder servo which is ideal for a light DA 120 and CF spinner. A servo cut out is in the tail is also available for those choosing to use a heavier motor and spinner combination, or those who prefer a push-pull option. The prototype uses an aluminum gear, however the kits will arrive with a similarly dimentioned carbon fiber gear. All of the hardware is truly first class with no need to replace. Wheels are supported by aluminum hubs with durable polymer bushings.

Lastly, the cowl is a (2) piece unit, split top and bottom. Motor baffles for a DA 120 are supplied with the kit. You can either use these with a DA 120, use them as templates to fabricate your own, or modify them to suite other engines.

So how big is this bad boy? The fuse, rudder tail to tip of the spinner, is approximately 98" in length, wingspan is about 85", and it stands 31.5" tall. I will post a few additional pictures, and answer any questions from my notes. All the Best, Rich!
Challenger is offline Find More Posts by Challenger
Last edited by Challenger; 10-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Quick Reply