logo
Old 02-15-2019, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by Michael Childers
Joined Feb 2019
4 Posts
Help!
First 1/5 Scale Warbird - Wiring, Batteries, Power Management etc

I'm getting ready to start a TopRC P51 build and there are so many options for the electrical setup, I'd like some links to diagrams, other threads, suggestions - whatever I can get to help me sort this out. I'm running 10 HV servos (Savox SV-1270), TopRCs electric retracts and a 60cc RCGF gas engine. I've seen several older threads about power distribution systems with back-up LiFe or Lipo batteries (not sure which is best for this application). Do I need a power system with voltage regulator?

I look for you this groups input and suggestions!
Michael Childers is offline Find More Posts by Michael Childers
Last edited by Michael Childers; 02-15-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 02-15-2019, 04:06 PM
Find More Posts by kork
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Nov 2011
1,054 Posts
What brand transmitter do you use?
kork is offline Find More Posts by kork
Old 02-15-2019, 04:58 PM
Joined Feb 2019
4 Posts
Spektrum - DX9
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Multi Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Dec 2007
10,876 Posts
Interesting question I get 8 servos unless you have some on the gear doors so I'll assume that.

For that radio, a Power Box Cockpit features servo mating features that will let you run the flaps and elevators on a single radio channel, as well as 2 rudder servos if you need one for tail wheel steering, freeing you up to run a kill switch as well, and the integrated door sequencer will take care of all the landing gear functions. It offers dual power inputs, a power safe switch, and you don't even need a receiver, just get 3 or 4 DSMX satellite receivers, plug them into the Power Box.

Then a Tech Aero IBEC or PowerBox Spark Switch pro can power the ignition and act as an optical kill switch for the motor.

If you had a DX-18 or 20 I'd say a 12 channel power safe receiver, but the Power Box will let you get away with running out of transmitter channels.
BarracudaHockey is offline Find More Posts by BarracudaHockey
Old 02-15-2019, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
one possibility is using the Extreme Power Systems XPS 24 receiver. it will solve your channel problems and has a built in IBEC for throttle kill. you will need Spektrum satellites. it has dual battery inputs.

here's one installed...(from another thread)

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...=3#post2810951
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Last edited by FGNewbie; 02-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:06 PM
Joined Feb 2019
4 Posts
I’ve actually been looking at those. Greatly appreciate the recommendation!
Old 02-15-2019, 10:50 PM
Joined Feb 2019
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey View Post
Interesting question I get 8 servos unless you have some on the gear doors so I'll assume that.

For that radio, a Power Box Cockpit features servo mating features that will let you run the flaps and elevators on a single radio channel, as well as 2 rudder servos if you need one for tail wheel steering, freeing you up to run a kill switch as well, and the integrated door sequencer will take care of all the landing gear functions. It offers dual power inputs, a power safe switch, and you don't even need a receiver, just get 3 or 4 DSMX satellite receivers, plug them into the Power Box.

Then a Tech Aero IBEC or PowerBox Spark Switch pro can power the ignition and act as an optical kill switch for the motor.

If you had a DX-18 or 20 I'd say a 12 channel power safe receiver, but the Power Box will let you get away with running out of transmitter channels.
Servos:

2 ailerons
2 flaps
2 gear doors
2 elev
1 rud
1 throttle
1 tail wheel retract

I had miss counted - that makes 11
Old 06-20-2019, 07:39 AM
Find More Posts by jaxbeach
United States, FL, Jacksonville Beach
Joined Jan 2018
1 Posts
I'm eight flights into a new build with this plane (Blondie). Limited to nine channels on Hitec with Optima9, I used a Hando SC271 door sequencer to get gear and gear doors on one channel. That sequencer supports endpoint adjustment EPA which was critical to getting the doors just right. AIL and ELE were 4 separate channels. Having run out of channels, I added a PowerBox micromatch (smart Y with EPA) for the FLAPS to fine tune the endpoints, which I could not just right mechanically.

I added 2 13g micros for the tail doors. No detail was provided in the instructions for rigging that up mechanically and it looked painful to adjust. Tactic TSX57s for the flaps and TSX47s for everything else. Without power management, I am at risk of a short or bad servo bringing her down.

One mistake I made was using a lighter analog standard for the main gear doors. They had no holding torque and I burned up the servo. Fixed by adding magnets and switch to TSX47.
jaxbeach is offline Find More Posts by jaxbeach
Last edited by jaxbeach; 06-20-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: proof
Old 06-20-2019, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Team Horizon Hobby
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
1,855 Posts
60CC warbirds do not need power distribution system. But you will need to share channels. You have 11 servos and you didn't list a gear channel. You can use Smart Fly Equalizers, Powerbox Micro Matchers to put your El, Flap, Gear door, and ailerons on a single channel each.
Rolling Thunder is offline Find More Posts by Rolling Thunder
Old 06-20-2019, 09:53 AM
Find More Posts by g257945
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Oct 2014
767 Posts
Flying my TF-51 with 7 Futaba HV servos, Fromeco 5200 lions, Jeti radio, Robart electric retracts and DA-60/ Menz 24x10.

Scott
g257945 is offline Find More Posts by g257945
Last edited by g257945; 06-20-2019 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by Philkoury
United States, MS, Picayune
Joined Feb 2007
605 Posts
Something you might consider is to upgrade your transmitter. So far every recommendation is based on a lack of channels. Compare the cost of purchasing all the equipment needed to operate more channels than your Tx has to the purchase of a more capable Tx & Rxs. I have several 1/5th and 1/4 scale war birds all using a single Rx with a Techaero IBEC and two 2500Mah A123 batteries. I like the KISS principle. A friend has last years NASA raffle TopRC P-51 and is flying it using Spectrum. He has nothing special in regards to equipment and the TX allows him to program the P-51 gear doors.
Philkoury is offline Find More Posts by Philkoury
Last edited by Philkoury; 06-20-2019 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply