logo
Old 06-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Find More Posts by JET FX
Kero Burner...
Sydney, Australia.
Joined May 2007
154 Posts
Byron Pitts Special Decals?

Gday just hoping someone might know a source for decals the same as supplied with the Byron Originals 1/3 Pitts in Charlie Hillards 'Red Devils' colours. I want to refurbish my Pitts soon as its film coverd and showing a fair bit of hanger rash, soon as I can find some decals I will re do the model with glass/painted finish....

Cheers-
JET FX is offline Find More Posts by JET FX
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 09-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Find More Posts by ROBC
United States, NY, Homer
Joined Jul 2006
191 Posts
Re: Byron Pitts Special Decals?

I believe iron bay models in Virginia has all the old byron stuff and parts
ROBC is offline Find More Posts by ROBC
Old 09-12-2007, 06:08 AM
Find More Posts by Cobra1
Fuel Burner
Monrovia, MD
Joined Aug 2006
213 Posts

Also search for Die Hard graphics. I know have some stuff for the Pitts.
Cobra1 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra1
Old 11-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET FX View Post
Gday just hoping someone might know a source for decals the same as supplied with the Byron Originals 1/3 Pitts in Charlie Hillards 'Red Devils' colours. I want to refurbish my Pitts soon as its film coverd and showing a fair bit of hanger rash, soon as I can find some decals I will re do the model with glass/painted finish....

Cheers-
Mate, Iron Bay have stuff for the old Byron kits. I got a couple of Pitts canopies and 2 sets of wheel pants from them.
Don't glass the plane!
I glassed mine back in December and am not happy with the final weight. I did make it look fabric covered but it adds a ton of weight. I've had 6 Byron Pitts and 5 of them were covered with Econokote and that's the way I'll go again.
Even though mine is glassed, I've still got hangar rash and it's not as easy to repair as if it was covered.
Black Sheep is offline Find More Posts by Black Sheep
Old 11-13-2007, 12:24 AM
Kero Burner...
Sydney, Australia.
Joined May 2007
154 Posts

Black Sheep- Thats good to know Iron Bay has em as I need a canopy too, just cracked my one recently... I will try them for the canopy and decals

So you have had six eh! are you wearing em out or what? where have you been sourcing them from??

How much weight did the glassing end up adding? Iam not looking for prop hanging 3D performance just scale like, so a little extra weight I reckon should not bother it too much? but any info you can shed with your experiences would be appreciated. I just like the idea of doing a super smooth mirror like paint job. I have not even flown it yet just scored it an a deal and have been slowly getting it ready to fly. It has a new Moki 2.1 and I want to add a smoke system although I have not figured out the best set up for the Moki yet.

Cheers- Marty
Old 12-03-2007, 12:57 AM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Black Sheep- Thats good to know Iron Bay has em as I need a canopy too, just cracked my one recently... I will try them for the canopy and decals

So you have had six eh! are you wearing em out or what? where have you been sourcing them from??

How much weight did the glassing end up adding? Iam not looking for prop hanging 3D performance just scale like, so a little extra weight I reckon should not bother it too much? but any info you can shed with your experiences would be appreciated. I just like the idea of doing a super smooth mirror like paint job. I have not even flown it yet just scored it an a deal and have been slowly getting it ready to fly. It has a new Moki 2.1 and I want to add a smoke system although I have not figured out the best set up for the Moki yet.

Cheers- Marty
Sorry I haven't got back to you mate, got real busy here trying to get full size planes done.
I have worn 3 out, crashed one and sold the other two. Mind you, this has been over about 15 years now. The last one I got from Ace Radio Controlled Models in Western Aust. It is one of the originals and still had the serial number in it. It was made in 1979, probably a bit sacriligious(spelling?) to take it out of the box but I couldn't help myself.
To give you an idea, the Econokoted ones weighed in just under 7kgs with motors like a ST3000 (30cc), Quadra 42 (42cc), Zenoah 45 (45cc) and this one is 9kgs with a DZY 48 twin (48cc).
One of the Pitts I went a bit crazy on and put a Sachs 4.2 (I think they are 70cc) in it and a smoke system. It weighed a ton at 11 kgs but it flew good, just landed heavily.
I'd definately think serious about using Econokote if you are going to run that Moki 2.10, that's only 35cc and mine is struggling with 48cc and no smoke @ 9kgs. By struggling I mean it has very little verticle but it does do some wicked stuff.
Besides, a super smooth paint finish doesn't look right on a Pitts or any fabric covered airplane although it is a fairly easy maintenance finish.
Just my 2 cents worth mate.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:18 PM
Find More Posts by RickBoyer
Fleetwood, PA USA
Joined Jun 2007
6 Posts

Pro Mark has epoxy graphics for a 1/3 scale Hillard Pitts Scheme....
RickBoyer is offline Find More Posts by RickBoyer
Old 03-23-2008, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by skypilot_one
Doo It! Doo It!
Westerly, RI USA
Joined Apr 2006
199 Posts

Hello,

I lost the manual page with the parts photo of the plywood sheets with the letters to tell whats what in the kit. Does anyone have a copy they could photograph or scan and email?

Regards,

Brian

Thank you Jon for the information.
skypilot_one is offline Find More Posts by skypilot_one
Last edited by skypilot_one; 03-24-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:01 AM
Find More Posts by craig77
UK
Joined Jul 2006
835 Posts

Hi Guys!it would be great to see some pics of yours?Ive just managed to pick up an untouched kit off ebay just need to get her over here to the UK!if anyone needs scans or copies of anything i might be able to help?

ill probably be going electric with mine!I had one many years ago and never flew it!just wished I never sold it
craig77 is offline Find More Posts by craig77
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Kero Burner...
Sydney, Australia.
Joined May 2007
154 Posts

Heres my one, although she is starting to show her age now with lots of hanger rash, hard to see in these pics but the foam/film construction does not lend itself to easy repair either. Iam seriously considering replacing my old Byron with one of the new ARF R/C Guys S-1', I will have to chase up those Charlie Hillard decals now I guess afterall

http://www.rcguys.com/S1Pitts.htm

Cheers- Marty

P.S Hey Black sheep is that Paul Bennett in your avitar pic
Old 12-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Heres my one, although she is starting to show her age now with lots of hanger rash, hard to see in these pics but the foam/film construction does not lend itself to easy repair either. Iam seriously considering replacing my old Byron with one of the new ARF R/C Guys S-1', I will have to chase up those Charlie Hillard decals now I guess afterall

http://www.rcguys.com/S1Pitts.htm

Cheers- Marty

P.S Hey Black sheep is that Paul Bennett in your avitar pic
YES it is. I just finished the graphics on his new Pitts a few months ago and it looks hot!
Old 12-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

I'll see if I can add some new pics of Paulie Bennet's Pitts.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Kero Burner...
Sydney, Australia.
Joined May 2007
154 Posts

Wow sweet!!! its looking even hornier now if thats possible Last time I saw Paul was at the "Jet Over Temora" weekend in September, On the Saturday he showed up as usual in the Pitts still in its old colours then, I said to Paul jokingly so when are you goin to get yourself a decent sized ride so you can bring your R/C jets along with you.... Sunday morning Paul shows up in this toy borrowed from a mate!! "bloody show off eh"
Old 12-02-2009, 05:34 AM
Cowra NSW Australia
Joined Feb 2006
710 Posts

Quote:
Wow sweet!!! its looking even hornier now if thats possible Last time I saw Paul was at the "Jet Over Temora" weekend in September, On the Saturday he showed up as usual in the Pitts still in its old colours then, I said to Paul jokingly so when are you goin to get yourself a decent sized ride so you can bring your R/C jets along with you.... Sunday morning Paul shows up in this toy borrowed from a mate!! "bloody show off eh"
Haha, yeah, both Paul Bennet and Paul Goard took two Avengers to Temora this past weekend for a formation demo for the Museum flying day. I saw them flying around the area here in formation - A STIRRING SIGHT.
If you think one is big, mate, 2 are bloody huge! Even at a couple of k's away!
That weekend you saw him, he was here for the SAAA fly-in. Saturday he flew the Pitts down and I didn't know which plane he took Sunday as I wasn't at the airport. He is a great bloke and modelling supporter
Old 12-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Find More Posts by White Knuckels
You little beauty!!
Australia. NSW
Joined Jan 2006
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Sheep View Post
I'll see if I can add some new pics of Paulie Bennet's Pitts.
I saw that on a trailer in Grafton during the last floods.Ya dont see that every day
White Knuckels is offline Find More Posts by White Knuckels

Quick Reply