logo

Kim Q Building EF 125" Laser

Probably after hearing some of the rumors last year of Extreme Flight releasing a 125" Laser in the Leo scheme I knew I was interested in one...

Splash

Building EF 125" Laser

Probably after hearing some of the rumors last year of Extreme Flight releasing a 125" Laser in the Leo scheme I knew I was interested in one.

Bigger question was what to put in it and how will it fly. As some people know I am a big fan of putting DA200 in big 40% and flying them 3D so after seeing Jase video from Nall I knew that once I finish up the kits I am building I would look into getting one.

After going back and forth with Tim from Northwest RC and him telling me he has one in stock I ended up ordering one.

Plane showed up late afternoon yesterday and it was pretty clear what I was going to do for the rest of the week. Hoping to possibly know this build out in a week if the fiancé doesn’t insist on date night.

Setup is going to be

• DA200L on stock Jtec Mufflers
  • Falcon 31x12 (I had one in the past of a few big 40% with the 200 and when it comes to 3D here at out altitude we couldn’t beat that prop)
  • JR S8912 12V servos
  • JR Dual Rx running full Xbus
  • Thunder Power RC 3S LiPo (capacity TBD)

I do plan to provide info on my technique for servo geometry and few other things I learned over years of building and I will be sure to explain why I do what I do on those setups.

Part of this build is also shooting some videos explaining some of our JR PROPO setups as well and proper linkage and how to pick the right equipment.

I did purchase the twin cylinder option so I do plan to cut the firewall to fit the DA200L But first I had to get this plane on the landing gear and do some minor upgrades to the pilot.

Old pilot was fine but I had something a little more unique I wanted to use on this plane so I went with custom painted pilot.

You can get those in different schemes from the link below. https://www.deeforce.net/search-results-page/pilot

As for the gear, I decided to change the stock wheels to some White Rose 5” I had lying around and since I don’t really use them on the IMAC planes I figured why not put them on this plane. To glue the landing gear cuffs I have my own method as I have tried different types of glue over the years and wasn’t happy overall with long terms results so for about a year now I usually fill them up with west system. I did notice it tends to stiffen up the gear and would probably help avoid delaminating at the bend where they usually delaminate. Personally I like using electrical tape to seal it up while I fill it up epoxy. (again one of those lessons I learned the hard way)

Kim Quenette

Last edited by Jim T.; 07-27-2020 at 01:33 PM..
Old 07-14-2020, 07:14 PM
Find More Posts by The Hodge
Skip Model Designs Intl.
Australia, VIC
Joined Mar 2008
4,062 Posts
Nice Kim this will be a cool build! and as a JR man look forward to that side of things too and the tips an tricks.

Hybrid hub would be a nice setup on this Are you going to have a battery redundancy unit, Like a Multi switch or similer?
The Hodge is offline Find More Posts by The Hodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 PM
Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Welcome to Costco. I love you.
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2006
4,277 Posts
Awesome Kim! I can't wait to see it at the field. We'll have to get some good pics!
lxcoupe is offline Find More Posts by lxcoupe
Old 07-15-2020, 02:41 AM
Find More Posts by ws61000hp
Haters love me
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Feb 2008
153 Posts
Has That pilot been tested for the Government-19? We don’t need anyone getting sick.
ws61000hp is offline Find More Posts by ws61000hp
Old 07-15-2020, 07:35 AM
Find More Posts by svan
United States, IA, Marshalltown
Joined Feb 2017
294 Posts
Your going to love this plane. Finished mine a few weeks ago. My first true 40% airframe. Flies amazing.

GP 178

MKS 3850s and Hitec 9380s
svan is offline Find More Posts by svan
Old 07-15-2020, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by jwilliams
Happy contrails
Near Louisville, KY
Joined Jan 2006
3,822 Posts
Kim, I got to fly Jase's with the DA200 and you are going to love this thing.
jwilliams is offline Find More Posts by jwilliams
Old 07-15-2020, 09:49 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Team AJ Aircraft / Team JR
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
3,260 Posts
I'll go against the grain and say Kim you will hate it, so sell it to me dirt cheap
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old 07-15-2020, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hodge View Post
Nice Kim this will be a cool build! and as a JR man look forward to that side of things too and the tips an tricks.

Hybrid hub would be a nice setup on this Are you going to have a battery redundancy unit, Like a Multi switch or similer?
Thank you for the kind words. Hybrid hub was an option but decided to go with the dual receivers. had them sitting around and had great results in the past using them on multiple platforms.

Kim Quenette
kim3D is offline Find More Posts by kim3D
Old 07-15-2020, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svan View Post
Your going to love this plane. Finished mine a few weeks ago. My first true 40% airframe. Flies amazing.

GP 178

MKS 3850s and Hitec 9380s
I am very excited for this ones indeed.
Its just a beautiful airplane and if you ask me part of aerobatics history.

Kim Quenette
Old 07-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Finally have all the servos needed to get this build going forward.
Also had some time last night to chop up the motor box to take the DA200.
planning to run over to Ace Hardware today to get some wood for the firewall.

As for inside the fuse I had a rough idea where I would like to mount RX's and batteries so I decided to re enforce that area just to be safe.

Kim Quenette
Old 07-15-2020, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
After gathering all the servos I was fairly ready to start mounting them and getting surfaces moving.

• For years now I have been a great fan of Gorilla glue for pretty much anything it will work on. On all of my planes (except the composites) I now use Gorilla glue to glue horns.
Its strong and it expands into the wood very well. Some ARF companies have small joint gaps in the wood right around the hard block so with Gorilla Glue I know those are covered and reinforced well.
• One of the first things I do is take the iron and go over the top of the surface to make sure that when the gorilla glue expends it doesn’t go to the top and lifts up the covering. This is a very important step and don’t ask me how I came up with that solution.
• Like always I will rough up the area the penetrates the wood with a Dremel or a file. (Dremel is quicker)
• Then with surfaces lay flat I poor a little bit of gorilla onto the opening and let it sit while I prep the horns with glue on them on both sides.
• Once I got glue on the horn I then spray it with water or dip it in water cup then push it into its place.
• I usually take Q tips with alcohol to clean it here and there a few times to insure the job is clean. In most cases after 30min the gorilla will stop expending out of the openings. It is important to clean a few times and make sure you do it every 5min or so until it stops expending from the openings.
• Normally I will let it full cure for at least 4 hours but in the meantime I do bolt up the ball links on to it to make sure it dries lined up.
• While it is drying now is a good time to put the servo in if you are careful.

I use the same process on all surfaces.
When I first started using Gorilla glue I will say I was discouraged because of how messy it could get but over the years I figured out the right amount of glue to use and how to keep it clean to the point I no longer mask the area surrounding it.
I recommend using alcohol to clean the extra foaming around it.
Acetone will work too but will cause your covering to fade.

Kim Quenette
Old 07-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
With a few of those Lasers out in different sizes and it seems almost everyone are rocking the Leo scheme I wanted to do something different but along the same style.

Got the files from RC Depot in Japan and had a local spot make me those.

Kim Quenette
Old 07-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by kim3D
Las Vegas,Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ws61000hp View Post
Has That pilot been tested for the Government-19? We don’t need anyone getting sick.
It has been tested for COVID, Corona, Bud Light and Don Julio!!!

Kim Quenette
Old 07-15-2020, 01:04 PM
Find More Posts by ws61000hp
Haters love me
United States, CA, Redlands
Joined Feb 2008
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim3D View Post
It has been tested for COVID, Corona, Bud Light and Don Julio!!!

Kim Quenette
ws61000hp is offline Find More Posts by ws61000hp
Old 07-15-2020, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by jamesrxx951
IMAC NC ARD
Joined Jan 2009
11,130 Posts
It looks like your done with the horns but I to use gorilla glue. However I use blue painters tape around the whole area so if the glue does expand, it just gets on the tape. Then peel off the tape.
jamesrxx951 is offline Find More Posts by jamesrxx951

Quick Reply