logo
Old 04-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Find More Posts by yakken
hedgesville,wv
Joined Oct 2009
531 Posts
Harrier landing. Once you start doing those you won't ever land normal.
yakken is offline Find More Posts by yakken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
Just to be clear you can use a main gear with longer or shorter gear legs to change the AOA on touchdown, or a different tail gear that changes your AOA upon touchdown.

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 04-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Still Draggin' 'Em
United States, LA, Bossier City
Joined Mar 2007
6,809 Posts
A 30x13 is going to have less braking and spool down slower than a 32x10. The 30x13W is a good 170 prop, but still not going to help slow it down. You'll have to reduce power sooner, approach shallower, and hold flare until the wings quit generating lift. It won't fly back off the ground if it's stalled.
BOSSIER_ROB is offline Find More Posts by BOSSIER_ROB
Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by midwestpilot
Must be the Fetzer Valve!!
United States, IL, Crystal Lake
Joined Apr 2007
313 Posts
The best advice I was ever given on landing is to hold the plane inches off he ground.. As long as you can(at idle)it will runout of air speed and land itself. Like a butterfly with sore feet.
midwestpilot is offline Find More Posts by midwestpilot
Old 04-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Find More Posts by parpar1
Fast can be bad
Garden Grove, CA
Joined Nov 2009
3,576 Posts
First thing that comes to my mind is tail heavy. Second is land it like a warbird. As soon as the wheels touch let go of the stick if not give it a little down to keep it stuck down..... To me it sounds like after you touch down you are still pulling back on the stick (flaring).

Of course this applies after you get your prop selection / taxi speed down

A guy at our field was have the same issue with all his planes. I watched his sticks and sure **** he would keep pulling back on the stick / or hold flare after it touched and every time it would bounce. i said fly it into the runway (with out ripping the gear off) and the when the wheels touch let go of the elevator. It fixed his bouncing on landing issues pretty much.

Ok i am done
parpar1 is offline Find More Posts by parpar1
Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Find More Posts by orthobird
I used to hammer at 1500 feet
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
all good advice, i am going to try all these different things. thanks guys!!!
as a clarification, i have not had this problem with other planes, just this one plane.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old 04-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Find More Posts by Carruthers43
United States, MD, Waldorf
Joined Aug 2010
1,552 Posts
Two options... I have a 30x13 and my extra always lands fast so as mentioned switch to a 3 blade. 2 how about a nice beautiful wheel landing... Fly the plane on and when it lands just keep the tail up till speed bleeds off... That's how I land the extra in my pic and I always get complements on the landing! It looks so good when you hold the tail up till the plane almost stops.
Carruthers43 is offline Find More Posts by Carruthers43
Old 04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by marsder
Joined Dec 2012
65 Posts
Try and smash it into the deck, hard enough to break the undercarriage and skid it accross the tarmac. Granted this may not be the best approach but you have to admit that it would be spectactular.

On a serious note, try up flats, I have very little time for wyliejr but he makes a good point!
marsder is offline Find More Posts by marsder
Old 04-04-2013, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
Learn to fly it slow at waist level over the runway. Get a feel for it at that height and then bring it down to a foot or so....but DON'T land. Practice this enough so that you're comfortable flying it there....then on the next pass, when you are at that point, directly infront of you, pull back what little throttle you have and it will settle onto the runway, at minimum fly speed. If it bounces and continues to fly, you have A-still too much airspeed or B-too high idle setting, which equates to "A".

With practice you fine tune this to a few inches off the gorund, not a foot. They key to a good, slow 3-point landing is speed control and finessing the plane right to the point where it runs out of lift AT THE SAME TIME the wheels touch the ground.

I watch a lot of flyers come in with WAY too much airpseed and wonder why they bounce back into the air. These aerobatic planes will fly straight and level very slowly, without entering a harrier. Learn to fly it SLOWLY, at low altitudes (as in landing) and you'll find that it gets easier and easier.

Greasers are an art form, cherish ever one!!!!!!!!!
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-04-2013, 08:37 PM
Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
RUTNBUC
United States, SC, McClellanville
Joined Sep 2008
2,747 Posts
[QUOTE=sensei;1940252]Just to be clear you can use a main gear with longer or shorter gear legs to change the AOA on touchdown, or a different tail gear that changes your AOA upon touchdown.

Learn something every day. Good post and food for thought.
Rutnbuc
wylieruneyjr is offline Find More Posts by wylieruneyjr
Old 04-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestpilot View Post
The best advice I was ever given on landing is to hold the plane inches off he ground.. As long as you can(at idle)it will runout of air speed and land itself. Like a butterfly with sore feet.
i like this, i will try this as well.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Vicksburg, MS
Joined Nov 2006
2,394 Posts
When I first started flying AND landing gas airplanes I had trouble too. Turns out that my idle was too high and I wasn't pulling up the nose enough to increase the drag to let the plane settle to the grass/asphalt. So, the bottom line is, reduce your idle by usimg a switch and put a "landing" idle and "flight" idle on it to help you land.

Good luck.

Bobby aka TDD
The Dirt Doctor is offline Find More Posts by The Dirt Doctor
Old 04-05-2013, 07:57 AM
Find More Posts by sensei
Super Weight Freak
San Antonio Texas
Joined Nov 2006
3,715 Posts
Something to think about, weight is playing a big factor, this airplane is a 47 lb. 40% airplane that puts it @ a 41oz. wing loading. Most ARFs and kit built stuff in a 40% class airplane today have wing loadings in the low to mid 30s and stuff I build in this size is in the mid 20s, so we have it easy on the sticks when it comes to landing because we can slow to literally a crawl and our airplanes have 0 bad habits. Airplanes with heavier wing loadings have a built in requirement to land carrying more speed and energy then what most of us are flying in this size of aerobatic airplane. When a heavier airplane gets to slow it will tend to fall out the bottom as illustrated by many, not all war birds we have all seen, so landing hotter is the best option, trouble is with all this extra speed and energy and the wing AOA on landing due to the landing gear relationship to a 3 point landing position, it simply wants to bounce back in the air and keep flying. Most guys I see flying don’t wheel land tail draggers, they 3 point land. I think this is because it’s more natural to pull back on the stick just a little to flair and land then to hold neutral to slight down elevator stick pressure. Anyway landing heavier aircraft requires more pilot proficiency to pull off correctly; that is why I made the statement about the AOA, if you lower the AOA while the airplane is sitting on the gear you will lower the lift component at any given speed and the airplane will want to stay planted on touchdown.

Bob
sensei is offline Find More Posts by sensei
Old 04-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Find More Posts by Pistolera
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2006
4,242 Posts
+1
Pistolera is offline Find More Posts by Pistolera
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
9,044 Posts
hello all
did do practice today, probable 20 touch and goes, and flying real low, and even had the club president standing next to me, and we were able to do it. or, should i say, we figured out what i was doing wrong. so this is what i did.

winds were under 10 MPH, and there was 90 degree crosswind, at times.

what i was doing was, as plane was descending, i kept giving up elevator, too much, in fear of damaging LG. so this resulted in her ballooning.
so i just practices on approach from far away, coming in low, and getting it to almost land from start of runway, then by time she flew by me, she was about 1 foot off ground, me being to near end of runway, by the start of runway., then , like you all said, very very light up elevator to try to keep her about 6 inches from ground until she would just touch down.

perfect.

just need to practice more and more!!!
Last edited by orthobird; 05-10-2013 at 05:48 AM.

Quick Reply