logo
Old 04-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
Help!
Skywolf with DLE35RA throttle servo placement

Wondering if anyone on the forum have a DEL35RA mounted on a Skywolf and can give me advice (or better yet, some pictures) of where you placed your throttle servo. The rear exhaust placement prevents mounting it on the outside bottom of the engine box, there isn't room on the side of the engine box, and the mount appears to be the wrong orientation to mount it inside the engine box.

Any examples?

Thanks!
BHFG is offline Find More Posts by BHFG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 04-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by FGNewbie
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
Pix of the engine installation? Not sure I understand the orientation problem.
FGNewbie is online now Find More Posts by FGNewbie
Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGNewbie View Post
Pix of the engine installation? Not sure I understand the orientation problem.

Looking for pix of the throttle servo mounting location and orientation to the engine. The Skywolf manual suggests mounting it under the engine box so the throttle rod runs straight up But the manual is generic and the pic is using a DLE 30, not the recommended DLE 35RA.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
okay I looked at the manual, and it's basically no help at all as the engine shown has a side carb, and it's an aftermarket throttle arm. standard approach with a 30 or 35 (which are both rear carb) is to mount the throttle servo in the fuse right behind the foremost bulkhead, aka, where the cowl attaches. you may have to make your own linkage, but you should be able to use the premade servo support, depending what they gave you. you will need to drill a hole large enough for the pushrod to move through the carb travel. some guys will mount the servo in front of the former, which I don't care for because you can't get to it without removing the cowl.
Last edited by FGNewbie; 04-01-2019 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:34 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
One problem with Pilot RC manuals are they are usually generic and often little help on model specific questions like this. But I do like this airframe though.

What you describe sounds like what I was looking at trying. The throttle rod will have to go straight back through the firewall, then bend down and to the left and then bend straight again back to the servo arm. Since the servo will have to push the throttle open , one concern I have is if the rod will flex under load causing the throttle response to be mushy.

As always, thanks for your help and suggestions (again). Always appreciate your insight.

Now all I need is to recover from this total knee replacement so I can get back at it.
Last edited by BHFG; 04-01-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
you should have some angle on the pushrod from the carb, rather than straight back, which minimizes any additional bends. mock up the placement of the servo and then draw a line to the carb.

https://www.google.com/search?biw=11...x7YUy8GbAKtSM:
Old 04-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Find More Posts by BHFG
Joined Oct 2015
329 Posts
I think I see what you are saying. I am using a ball socket connector at the the carb so the rod may be able to angle back without having to be bent. It will help if I can figure out a way to pull the throttle open instead of having to push it open. I am using a PSP extended throttle arm at the carb to clear the choke so will have to stare at the pictures you sent me the link to and see if I can get ideas for that.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
6,421 Posts
There isn’t enough resistance to cause any flexing, although not necessarily needed 4/40 rod is good for throttle and isn’t going to flex.

Pilot builds good airplanes but their manuals are a challenge!!

Quick Reply