Old 10-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Festivus
I fly 12 months a year
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2017
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky F. Knuckle View Post
If your rocking it off and back onto compression, the magnet does not pass the pick up.

You do how you wish, the rest will do it how they wish.
There is no reason to ever put your hand on a hot prop, do you look down the barrel of a loaded gun, but keep your finger off the trigger? Why take a chance, but if you do and you can find all the fingers post a picture of it.
Festivus is offline Find More Posts by Festivus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
to remove ads between posts
Old 10-03-2019, 12:09 AM
Find More Posts by rsnow
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined May 2015
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d dummy View Post
The first start of the day is 1) turn on plane power 2) turn on ignition 3) put throttle stick at 3 clicks 4) choke on 5) hand rotate prop back and forth 8 times to prime carb 6) flip until engine fires 7) choke off 8) flip until engine cranks Same procedure to start each flight rest of day
Ok one easy thing I do in that circumstance to clear the flooded condition is 1st turn the ignition off and verify that, once verified I open the throttle completely and flip the prop over at least ten times with authority. This usually spits out the extra fuel, once this has been accomplished lower the throttle to idle.....if your engine only runs with three clicks of throttle there are adjustments to help that's something you might look into......anyway drop the throttle to idle and turn the ignition on then flip a couple times to see if you get a response hopefully it fires up.

I'm assuming you're having this issue after your first flight....correct me if I'm wrong but I agree with "jamesrxx951" on startups for the rest of the day...which for me is airplane on, ignition on and flip two or three times....no response ....choke on and one flip then choke off and flip a couple more times and it usually fires up... every engine is different usually you can get a feel for what each engine requires for starting without flooding it.
As mentioned by "truckracer" info like background on the engine and carb would be helpful

How long since a new carb kit?
How old is the engine?
Is the flooding something new that just popped up?
Old gas?
Once the engine is running does it idle reliably?
There are other things to look at but starting with the basics always helped with me
All good info
hope you get it resolved its no fun when this stuff happens
rsnow is offline Find More Posts by rsnow
Old 11-15-2019, 10:01 PM
Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
United States, CT, South Windsor
Joined Aug 2015
91 Posts
I have been told that "rocking the prop" does NOTHING to prime the engine.
My experience is that it SOMETIMES works.
What's the answer?
DKSnyder1 is offline Find More Posts by DKSnyder1
Old 11-15-2019, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by RCAddiction
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Jan 2006
1,094 Posts
Rocking the prop to prime the carb works extremely well on my DA100 and a couple of other engines I have, but not at all on others, like my G23.
RCAddiction is offline Find More Posts by RCAddiction
Old 11-15-2019, 10:25 PM
Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
wrongwayfeldman
United States, AL, Florence
Joined Mar 2010
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddiction View Post
Rocking the prop to prime the carb works extremely well on my DA100 and a couple of other engines I have, but not at all on others, like my G23.
What he said...some of my engines it seems to work...not others...
ponyboy082662 is online now Find More Posts by ponyboy082662
Old 11-16-2019, 07:13 PM
Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle
Just your Average Joe.
Joined Jan 2006
8,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
There is no reason to ever put your hand on a hot prop, do you look down the barrel of a loaded gun, but keep your finger off the trigger? Why take a chance, but if you do and you can find all the fingers post a picture of it.
If my prop was hot, it would be on fire. How else you gonna prime your engine? Pressurize the the tank, flood the carb? Ever see anyone start a full scale J3 Cub, with no starter on the Continental engine? They hand prop it

I surely do not use sticks to start my engines, nor gloves. Flip with authority, never place more than the tips of my fingers on the blade, rarely getting ahold of the TE of the blade. You must have onboard starters for your engines, or you get someone to start for you..... Im the guy who others come to when they cant get engines started. I see what happens when a rolling chicken stick gets into a carbon prop. It eats the TE of the prop.

And when people mean rock the prop, they are grabbing ahold of the spinner and bouncing it off compression. I challenge you to prove that Im wrong, in that when bouncing the prop off compression (in the running orientation) that the magnet passes the pick up. Never in 20+ years of flying gas engines, have I EVER had an engine try to start that way. Had 2 that have tried to bite me, but never hurt. I got more damage from nitro engines than I did my gas engines.

Skinned my left index knuckle on a Nelson Q500 engine. 18.5k and still rich. I changed how I tuned that engine from then on out. 9 stitches in the tip of my left thumb, ST 40 9x6 APC prop. I have more metal splinters in me from work than injuries dealing with rc engines.

You can use your paint roller or chicken stick. I have seen guys strain their wrists trying to keep a chicken stick or a paint roller in their hands.

Everything we do in life is a risk. Driving down the freeway, and YOU get hit head on from a driver travelling on the wrong side of the road. You survive the wreck. Does that mean you are not gonna drive anymore? Chances are no, you are still gonna drive. You wreck a motorcycle, you gonna give up riding? Survey says....... I broke my pelvis from an ATV accident, 4 years ago. Did I give up riding ATVs?? No. I still own mine, but I dont have the time to ride, with having a family to raise and care for. I'm an avid shooter, I absolutely love guns! Rule 1 with guns is, dont aim it, if you aint gonna shoot it. How do inanimate objects hurt people?

You do it your way, I'll do it mine! Over and out!
Bunky F. Knuckle is online now Find More Posts by Bunky F. Knuckle

Quick Reply