sunnyvalkyrie is offline Find More Posts by sunnyvalkyrie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Find More Posts by TJPro35
United States, FL, Palm Bay
Joined Jan 2006
85 Posts
Re: Show us your trailer setup pictures

Here is my new trailer, 7x14 V nose with my 1.5 year old guard dog . First coat of kiltz on the inside and second coat will be regular satin white. Then going to put some shelves in the front, outdoor carpet on the floor and rubber type matting on the ramp door. A good ride for my Yak 54, 170cc and Extra 300, 120cc. I think for now, I will put them both on floor with some gear legs.
TJPro35 is offline Find More Posts by TJPro35
Old 10-10-2010, 07:38 AM
Find More Posts by Kevin B
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts

Good looking trailer and great lookin Dobie. Had a few in my time and they are great companions and very good with kids.
Kevin B is offline Find More Posts by Kevin B
Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by psk560
Augusta, Ga
Joined Jan 2006
577 Posts

Question...

Here is my new 6x14 V nose with single axle. My buddy stopped by and noticed the axle looked too far back (why didn't I notice?). The tongue weight seemed heavy so I took it down to the scale and did some measurements... With two honda 2000 generators in the v-nose (200lbs) the tongue weight was 480lbs and the total trailer weight was 1780lbs. WOW! My max tongue weight value is 500lbs and I've only put 200lbs in the thing.

Measurements

18 foot long from ball to back. 4.5 foot from the center of the wheel to the back of the trailer. I've called the dealer and he is going to check with the manufacturer but I fear the axle was put in the wrong place.

Any thoughts? Anyone else have a 6x14 single axle?

Just my luck...

Craig
psk560 is offline Find More Posts by psk560
Old 10-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Find More Posts by manta1
Joined May 2009
375 Posts

It does look a bit to the rear for the length of the trailer but Im no expert on the matter.480 lbs is serious tongue weight tho
manta1 is offline Find More Posts by manta1
Old 10-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by TX Newbee
Humble, TX
Joined Mar 2006
1,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk560 View Post
Question...

Here is my new 6x14 V nose with single axle. My buddy stopped by and noticed the axle looked too far back (why didn't I notice?). The tongue weight seemed heavy so I took it down to the scale and did some measurements... With two honda 2000 generators in the v-nose (200lbs) the tongue weight was 480lbs and the total trailer weight was 1780lbs. WOW! My max tongue weight value is 500lbs and I've only put 200lbs in the thing.

Measurements

18 foot long from ball to back. 4.5 foot from the center of the wheel to the back of the trailer. I've called the dealer and he is going to check with the manufacturer but I fear the axle was put in the wrong place.

Just my luck...

Craig
Hi Craig,
That looks fine to me. A tongue weight of 280 seems a tad high but not too bad. I've tried to keep as much weight on the back of mine as possible 12X7 V Nose with 3 foot V so I have 15 feet of interior space. Pics attached.

One of my buddies put a tool box on the tongue and a generator on the V he put 200lbs of tractor weights on the back and balanced it out and made the ride a ton better.
TX Newbee is offline Find More Posts by TX Newbee
Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 AM
Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Suspended Account
the same place the first flight happened
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts

as in any trailer they design to put the load over the axle, so if you put all your weight up in the nose you are not doing yourself any good. thats really not bad you put 400# in the tongue and only had 480# tongue weight.
Full Throttle is offline Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Augusta, Ga
Joined Jan 2006
577 Posts

I only put 200lbs in the v-nose. With 4.5 feet rear of the axle and 11.5 feet in front it makes it difficult to put weight in the rear...

Craig
Old 10-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by TX Newbee
Humble, TX
Joined Mar 2006
1,195 Posts

Quote:
I only put 200lbs in the v-nose. With 4.5 feet rear of the axle and 11.5 feet in front it makes it difficult to put weight in the rear...

Craig

Hi Craig,
I measured mine and I have 10 feet from center of wheel to the front and 5 feet to the back. So you might be looking at bolting some tractor weights on the back bottom. It also should help smooth out your ride.

I've got 3 little 26amp AGM batteries to bolt up to the rear underside of the trailer (about 100lbs) that I'll install once I build the front cabinets in the V-nose to help off set the extra tongue weight.
TX Newbee is offline Find More Posts by TX Newbee
Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Augusta, Ga
Joined Jan 2006
577 Posts

I called the retailer (maxxcargo) yesterday (Sunday) with my concern. The owner called Diamond Cargo this morning and they recalled my trailer. A couple of hours hanging out with the GM at the factory and my trailer was ready to roll. He was embarrassed the trailer made it out of the factory with the axle in the wrong place but after many apologies and a few perks I was out the door with the axle in the right place (12 foot from nose to wheel and 6 feet from back to wheel)... Great customer service (almost as good as DA) and I can now pick up the tongue with the trailer empty.

Tows much better now.

Craig
Old 10-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Suspended Account
the same place the first flight happened
Joined Jan 2010
1,419 Posts

I'd a bugged them for a few extras for your mental anguish.
Full Throttle is offline Find More Posts by Full Throttle
Reply With Quote  (Disabled) Quick reply to this message (Disabled)
Old 10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2009
169 Posts

Quote:
Question...

Measurements

Just my luck...

Craig
Having been a utility trailer manufacturer I can say that your axle is a foot farther back than it should be for a 14' trailer. For an ideal trailer you also want between 10 and 15% of the total weight of the trailer loaded on the tongue and you should also get a drop hitch if needed to allow your trailer to ride level.

Because our loads are so light that the only thing that will be affected by adding weight in the right locations on your trailer is your mileage.

I have seen it mentioned but PLEASE do not lower the air pressure in your tires to soften the ride, all this will do is eat your tires and can easily overheat them going down the highway to cause them to blow. Just like your car, proper pressure as listed by the trailer manufacturer will allow the equipment to work as designed and last longer.

Wow, did I just sound like somebodies father Sorry about that

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old 10-11-2010, 09:12 PM
Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Parrish, FL
Joined Apr 2009
169 Posts

I wonder what kind of deal I could get on your old trailer and fix it myself

Rob
Hypersprint is offline Find More Posts by Hypersprint
Old 10-12-2010, 12:07 PM
Find More Posts by Oilsands
Oilsands
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Joined Nov 2007
1,443 Posts

I adjust my tire pressure depending on the tread contact I see. If I notice that it is only siting on the center tread area, then I lower the tire pressure. If it is riding on the outer edges of the tread, then I increase the pressure.
Your vehicles are the same, but they did the homework and checks already and posted the recommended tire pressures.
Now if you take your regular load (planes) of the trailer to haul a heavier load, you will need to adjust your tire pressures (increase tire pressure).
Having too high of a tire pressure will overheat your tires as well. Switching you a radial tire will also help with the ride of the trailer, which should make it a smoother ride.
Oilsands is offline Find More Posts by Oilsands

Quick Reply